The Grand Tour

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by BLEH!, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I had no idea this existed. Looks like they have three seasons planned.

2. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    just watched it yep if you like top gear 3 men behaving badly it is like watching that .............. the old top gear not the new one.

Looking forward to next episode

3. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    ive no idea why u came in to this post when u already said u dont like it im confused as to why u posted ?

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    What's confusing? I really need to spell it out for you.

I dont like Clarkson and for that reason arent excited by this program. So what? It's an opinion. You dont like it, tough ****.

/END (and I told someone else off for being rude. Again you dont like it, tough titty boyo!).

P.S And no I dont begrudge anyone from watching this and having fun. Far from it, whatever floats your boat! (different presenter and I would probably watch it). It's called having an opinion, maybe that's hard to grasp where you are from I dont know.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If you like the old Top Gear you'll like it, if not you won't
    As expected. Good show.

6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    That the P1 was slower, well the slowest by a long way, I wasn't really surprised, every single segment that showed anyone driving it showed the car was a handful even WITH it's supposed gripper tyres the racing driver had the car off the track, the fact that the Porsche beat the Ferrari on the other hand was a surprise, given that the Ferrari was both lighter and more powerful.

Loved the show the format and delivery is just like Top Gear (I am sure some lawyers at the BBC will be rubbing their hands over that fact) I am hoping the Celebrity Head Crash (or whatever they called their version of Star in a reasonably priced car) sticks with the comical killing celebrities fun because the actual interview and car driving part was always the weakest and slowest part of Top Gear.

7. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Proper Top Gear is back! The name's different but we all know what it is :grin:

Loved the RAF is the best air force in the world bit and the celebrities took me by surprise. BMW M2 on the most dangerous track in the world looked great as well. Porsche beating the Ferrari, well only just, I couldn't really get how unless it was the 4 wheel drive and steering that made the difference in the slow corners.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Just watched it, liked it very much. Brilliant camera work, great shoots and scenery. And the format seems to work SO MUCH better then what Top Gear did with the new presenters this year. I couldn't stand watching the new Top Gear, the only thing good in it was Le Blanc. Grand Tour show might be the nail in the coffin that is Top Gear.

Grand Tour will need some tweaks though, 'the American' feels out of place and they will need a guests in the reasonably priced car around the track or a format close to it. Love the idea of the tent and thus recording studio travelling to different countries.

Other then that this first episode was 10x better then what Top Gear offered this year I am looking forward to seeing all new episodes.

9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Was pretty good.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Haven't seen it yet but I hear it features the 3 hyper cars. I will watch it on Wednesday but they're a little bit late to the party putting those 3 up against each other. Old news.

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    A little late, true, but sometimes good (interesting?) things come to those who wait. You should watch it sometime, they might end up with different results than the other Holy Trinity tests out there already...

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok, just tried to watch it. It was cringe. Very American to start with. Then they started to shake down the 3 cars. All you see is terrible driving and Hammond using the "sh1t" word. At which point I turned it off.

To anyone who likes cars, this is a waste of time. Was the show funny up to that point? No. Was it all about cars? No. Not for me. Just like the last 10 years of Top Gear, it's pretty pointless to watch, imo.

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    And on that bombshell ladies and gentlemen, goodnight ! Haha, no that's perfectly fine. Opinions differ, I surely liked it.

14. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    I loved it. Can't wait for the next one. ^^^^hahaha

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Really enjoyed it too, I thought they really gave the middle finger to the BBC with their grand entrance and even topped the old Top Gear with content and humour, looking forward to the next one, should keep it interesting being in a different country each week too

Pleased to see them back without the restraints and poor BBC scripting this time, they're back to what they used to be

16. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Well some say it was filmed in America :nerd: plus Clarkson educated them on using the word bonnet

Only watched a bit of it, because my brother had it on while I was visiting my parents, then my mum comes in and turns Emmerdale on :3eyes:

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Boring men over the age of 50, acting like children, whilst getting themselves into pre-scripted situations, and expect to get paid, to add to their current millions, does not interest me.

They have become the Bruce Willis of television entertainment, with egos bigger than their inflated paychecks.

I respect Jay Leno more. And those words will never be uttered by me again.

I suppose the easily-humoured and children will always laugh at slapstick and bigotry behaviour.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The BBC made them get into pre scripted situations, that's why it became crap, now they don't have that, they have pre scripted things that they do and places they go, but you can tell their mistakes and things that go wrong now are not scripted any more

It's back to how it was before the BBC changed everything around the India Special, and you could tell they were faking it

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I don't know man, that quick clip showing footage from the upcoming episodes is pretty clear. A lot of "fun" setups, trust me, it'll be back to normal scripted "oh look, so close" nonsense.

One serious question. What do you guys like the show for? For me it lacks heavily in the car department (they're not experts by any means, lacks depth) and it's not really funny (to me, anyway, rehearsed jokes, the 2 sidekicks setting up Clarkson constantly to make him look funny etc). Honestly, what is it you like?

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just comedy for me, I couldn't care about car stuff, infact when they do review a car that's the part I go make a cuppa, I watch for the humour, but I can see why they wouldn't appeal to some

They always used to be funny to me, always picking on James, the three of them sabotaging each others cars, the trips to crazy places they have to do, all those things were fun and interesting, then the BBC scripted it all and even the mistakes became obvious, like Hammonds bumper being ripped off getting one of the cars towed up the hill, you could tell he would easily have known that was happening, and his talking over the top of everyone as if he didn't know was as unreal as it gets, but this first Grant Tour seemed as if they were back to their old unchained stupid selves

Just feels much more real again, once they are let loose on their challenge / mission they are completely free to do their own thing again, it's really obvious when someone is faking an accident, I didn't see that with the GT

If it starts happening again then I`ll be back to how I felt about TG when they changed things, but for now I really enjoyed the GT