AMD ZEN 8-core Summit Ridge To launch January 17th 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Even if the performance was great they can't really compete with Intel if they price the chips high, sure some old amd cpus cost a lot but those were when they were still top dogs. Intel could price their cpus way way lower if they had any competition.

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Agreed, but this CPU is half the threads as a similarly priced i7. That's what worries me.

3. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Damn, three days before my birthday too. :)

Edit: Oh, and this is going to be the hardest 2 month wait I have done in a while. :D

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  4. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Looking forward to the release, be nice to see AMD do well here! Having said that I really don't see the 8c 16t chip being $300, Intel have set the bar with pricing and people are buying them in droves! AMDs pricing imo will be not to far behind what intel charge if the performance is there or thereabouts.

As much as I want to see 8 core monsters at that price point I think it's just not going to happen!

5. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    i feel this very true also..going that cheap is not gonna make them gain any profits

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You're on a first gen i7, clock for clock Zen will be a notable improvement.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Agreed. To my understanding, current-gen Excavator parts are faster than first-gen i5s (or at least an i7 with HT off - I don't think there are any Excavator parts with more than 4 threads). Even if Zen has less than half the performance gain over Excavator that AMD claimed, it will still be a worthy upgrade.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You obviously don't understand how cheap these things are to make. A 1.75Bn transistor i7-6700k, is six times smaller than a Fury which comes with its own PCB, cooling system, and 4GB of the most expensive memory you can buy. The GPU sells at $300 and still makes a small profit.

The amount of skinning that we get from Intel (and NVIDIA to an extent) is quite phenomenal actually.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Very true. Let's not forget about ARM platforms too. Take CHIP for example - it's a quad core (RAM, wifi, bluetooth, and 4GB of storage) in a $9 PC. In many cases, it costs more to ship and accessorize it. Sure, it's horribly slow compared to desktop quad cores, but it shows how little it costs to manufacture some of these things. Don't forget - CHIP isn't a non-profit project.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Aye and the GPU in modern Intel CPU takes about half of the die.

11. cyborg66

cyborg66 New Member

GPU:
    ati 9800pro 128meg
    why bother you know its going to to be crap cpu

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Your second post in the space of ten years, and this is what you decided to come out with?

13. Wolfskin07

Wolfskin07 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    I'm very excited about the ZEN CPU launch and I hope to God that AMD gets it out of the park!

I'm currently on a i7-4790K that I bought second hand for a fair price and it's one hell of a CPU but deep down I'm hoping AMD makes a fair comeback because we desperately need a new player to even things out... Sick of Intel and their pocket filling prices :(

Go AMD!

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Luanch means nothing to me its speed vs intel offering is only thing that matters it need to match intels offering speed/performance wise while costing less to have any meaning full impact.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not necessarily. When turbo speeds and overclocks are involved, that becomes a real gray area. What matters most is instructions-per-clock, instructions-per-core, performance-per-watt, and performance-per-dollar. We already have a rough idea how high they can clock and the amount of threads they offer so what I mentioned is all that's left that we really need to know.

I will not be surprised if the overall performance is worse to an Intel equivalent, however, that doesn't mean it is a worse product.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i mean it need to match intel offering clock for clock stp for stp performance for performance, what good is if it two,three, four gen behind intel performance wise and 200$ that is what AMD has been for like decade.

Only when AMD can match intel current offer performance wise in all aspect for less will they be back and we will have battle of who has the better performing CPU with the lower prices like we did almost a decade ago? which what drove intel to actual try make improvements. which why there current cpu run all over amd.

AMD hyped the crap out zen I really hope they can deliver what they promised and hyped for once and turn the tables on intel. I might hate AMD and never own there product but that dont mean I dont want to see them make fools of intel. cause doing so will force them to lower there cpu prices and and actual try again like they did decade ago.

Which will be beneficial to customer in many ways less AMD decided to price gauge like intel.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    AMD wouldn't make the same mistake of releasing a product worse than what they have now. Excavator currently is roughly as good as Sandy Bridge, which isn't a whole lot worse than Skylake.

This is going to be the first generation of a complete refresh. It's bound to be a little crippled. With further additions to microcode patches and maybe 2nd gen products, I figure they'll have something as good as Intel's offerings. For Zen though, I suspect it'll still be slightly behind.

But, not everyone cares about the best possible performance. Price matters too, and as you can see from this thread, people are pretty happy about the price point. AMD is still making sales of FX-83xx CPUs after all, so clearly there's more to it than what scores highest in a benchmark.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    back in the day AMD cpu out performance INTEL and cost less, which is the whole point, it has to happen again for AMD to be back and for everyone to win imo.

IF AMD charges same prices for same performance or even worse for less peformance, only thing that is gonna happen is people that prefer INTEL will continue to use INTEL and people the prefer AMD will continue to use AMD. and we will have the same issue we have now overprice cpu that see minimal performance increases each gen, which I am sure everyone can agree they dont want to see that trend continue.

19. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    If they have single core performance at roughly around Ivy or Haswell (at same clocks) I don't see how anyone could take issue with Zen. Intel's 8c/16t CPUs all cost well over $500 do they not?

20. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Way over.

I'm also wondering at motherboard costs, everyone is so super focused on the CPUs themselves. I'm more interested in the chipsets supporting them at this point. Unless you need specific extras, you can buy any OC'able Intel motherboard and expect solid results. That isn't always the case with AMD, and while the general user probably doesn't care about the ability to OC... I'm sure you get my meaning. It's going to be an interesting month or two until we see these things launch.