What's Your Favourite Tipple

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by stevevnicks, Nov 17, 2016.

1. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    Just cracked Open a bottle of Jack Daniel's Old No.7 and while enjoying this beautiful Tennessee Whiskey, I remember when I went in to one of the pubs in Woodbridge Suffolk for a meal with one of my ex-girl friends, then spotting an single malt whisky priced at £27.50 a single shot.

I kept looking and then thought well I could never afford to buy a bottle so I might as well at least try a shot.

I wanted to know what the more well off whisky drinker supped on to please his whisky palate.

And at £27.50 a shot I had to know or try and understand why it cost and what I'm missing out on, sod it I was committed to the bar and order a single shot for myself and an Pub water for the ex, just joke'n she cost me a lot more Hence she an EX.

Anyway back to the Whisky

I ordered neat with ice, Well you'd hafta be a right dumb ass to have it with a mixer at that price lol

I swirled the glass and allowed this golden liquor splash around the ice, took a sniff and then downed it allowing the full taste of this golden heaven to hit every taste bud on my tongue.

wow it tasted so smooth/mellow with heavy oak tones OMFG

I wish I was rich and could remember the name of that whisky.

2. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
  3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
  4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I'm a fan of cheap booze and not having to wake up early for work in the morning

5. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    hey StewieTech

I have never seen/noticed it before, sound interesting, I'll Probs keep an eye out for a bottle now lol

thanks for the tip :D

EDIT:

hahah grate

When in Spain cant resist this stuff! (Pacharan).

something else to try ... I normally stick to what I know but with Christmas coming up I'm up for some Quality recommendations ..

not really a fan of skol super and super strength lager lol ...

even though Carlsberg reckons it is the more wealthy that buys it's commemorative to Winston Churchill beer known as special brew

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  6. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Pub prices can be extortionate. I wouldn't be surprised if a bottle of that whisky was less than £100.

My favorite in that price range is the Highland Park 18yr old.

[​IMG]

I have a bottle worth over £1000 that was originally presented to David Cameron. He obviously doesn't like whiskey so I ended up with it via a friend. The law of diminishing returns definitely applies, it's very nice but not much better than the Highland Park.

7. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I remember asking the landlord why it was so pricey, his reply lol was it comes in an crystal decanter so your probs correct.

tempted to give it an look but at £100 a bottle I'd want a test first lol ;)

still at around 14 single shots a bottle and just just over £7.00 a shot it must be good ...

well, I'm probs in lol I wanna try it now lol

hang on was that a £1000 abottle LOL WTF lol I need to read your post again...lol

8. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I like this stuff

[​IMG]

9. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    yeah tired Disaronno although not my taste ummm a bit to complicated for my palate, have quite a few female mates who like it though so prob's good to have at a party

looking forward to visiting Amsterdam one more time, love Barny's Farm café.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Just for the dreaming:

[​IMG]

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You said Tripple and I thought you meant Tapist beer like Chimey.

12. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    So anyone Know of an fairly good quality Whisky at around the £100 a bottle mark up or is there not one ?

13. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Right now my favorite is Ardbeg's 10-year single malt.

14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Haha of course there's one, there's loads.

Personally like isle of jura stuff, and that can stretch into £100 easy, not going to see any £100 in a local shop though, maybe a booze only shop, best checking a whisky shop (I know of like, one, in glasgow)

15. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    My fav. is the Black Bush.

[​IMG]

16. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I probably wasn't clear in my post. The Highland Park 18yr is ~£100.

Before you spend 100 quid on a bottle, it would be good to know which type of whisky you prefer.

There are 3 distinct types, Highland, SpeySide and Western Isles (Islay).

Highland and Speyside are similar (at least to me), they have a crisp sweet character. Examples are Glenfliddich or Glenmorange (both speyside). Highland whiskeys are slightly more mellow than Speyside.

Islay whisky is very different. The peaty soil gives it a smokey character which some people love. Examples are Highland Park and Laphroaig but there is a big range of degrees of smokiness.

My my personal favorite is actually Bowmore (not Highland Park!) which is an Islay Whisky but it's lightly smokey, a great all-rounder and for me, excellent value too. I would highly recommend it. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you went and bought one tomorrow :)

[​IMG]

This is the > £1000 bottle. Or it was before I drunk some of it. A Glengoyne 29yr old Auchencraig Reserve. It's a Highland whisky:

[​IMG]

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I like whiskey a lot ever since my mother brought several little (200 ml) bottles from tourist trip to Britain. I favor whiskey with smoky scent most of all. Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Talisker are my favorite ones. Recently I discovered another "peated" distilleries - Bowmore, Ardmore, Benriach, Tobermory, Tomintoul, Bruichladdich and Caol Ila - though I did not taste them yet. Acnoc also does produce a smoky whiskey but a scent is a little too shallow.
    One distillery from Ireland - Connemara.

Mine too. It is so rich in flavor and taste.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  18. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Used to drink a lot more few years ago, now it's it's like one beer / week avg. Have not bought whisky for a while.

Someone told me to check out this rum (few years ago as I was a whisky person) and did quite like it. Had a bit of it last night. :)

El Dorado Rum 12 Year Old
    https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/4477/el-dorado-rum-12-year-old

I have only tasted few different rum's and no expensive ones so hard to say how it compares to other rums.

19. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    It's a good one. lately I've been on mission to try different Scotch Whiskies. So far Ardbeg's 10-year and Glenfiddich's 12-year are my favorites right now. A bit limited on different brands/distilleries though, as BevMo (a beverage retailer here in the US carried mostly Glenfiddich products, a few Ardbeg products), other stores were pretty much the same, except the one that is a block from my apartment also carries Highland Park, and a few others). Around these parts I've taken to notice blended scotches are a bit more popular.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  20. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm keen on Cognac, you can get some decent entry level stuff from the likes of Remy Martin and Courvoisier.