The GTX 1070 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No1True

No1True Guest

GPU:
    I have that stupid problem where my fan goes no fan and then spins for 1sec and then stops.. 3sec later it spins for 1sec and then stops.

Seems like gigabyte does some stupid fan destruction.. or is it murphy law?

Seems I have to use that afterburner on min 40% spin all times so I dont notice that idiotic fan destruction.. :|

2. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    I had the same problem on my Zotac 1080 AMP Extreme! sent it back to CCL online explaining and they said they couldn't replicate the issue and I shouldn't be using Afterburner with it.... lol then they proceeded with astoundingly poor customer service and charged me 10% restocking fee on a £700 card....

They told me they would email me when they had tested it, 11 days later I hadn't heard a thing and they said apparently someone tried to call me...

No email though... then because of the delay, made returning the card difficult, man it's quite a story

I do have the dates and full story and it will be plastered around when I have time, this was a few weeks back.

I intend to write the full story out with screenshots and dates then post on a few forums so people are aware you must NOT trust CCL online :D

They probably expected me to take it lying down... And vanish into the nothingness but oh my goodness nooooo :) the stinger is primed and nearly ready to strike back...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

As you know most of "Pascal" GPU using Zero fan under 40°C or more and Zotac have "Freeze" fan function,its not the fault,this "feature" do have almost every Pacal aftermarket GPU

Personally I've overridden my fan profile in AB and I think on most GPU you can set up as minimal speed 35-40%, mine doesn't like go bellow 30% and acts as above...

Regarding CCL I've bought several parts from them and no issues at all there,but still I rather buying my parts from Scan,they sometimes are more expensive,but what counts for me is customer service

Thanks, Jura

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Or just flash like I did mine. I set it to stay at 28% up to 40C then rise up to 75% by 73C.. Which it never does.. Max was 62% at ~ 67C.

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi TJ

I'm pretty sure this is feature on most "Pascal" cards, most of the cards do have same 0% fan profile when is on idle or when is at low load like mine GTX1080 and crossflashing I know on mine is possible with Extreme or Asus Strix ROM and regarding yours, you have Extreme or not TJ?

These Extreme versions are seems bit better than in therm of OC and temps than AMP! edition and plus on mine Titan X is very close to GTX1080 and in rendering my temps with GTX1080 are in 70's which is not bad with Titan X is sitting next to GTX1080...

I will need to wait on Pascal BIOS Tweaker and then tweak my BIOS, I've tried too Extreme BIOS and temps are very similar,no changes

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X

I absolutely agree you find out what a place is like when there is a problem and you need customer service.

Feature or not, going to the great trouble for a supremely quiet PC... a fan cutting in and out would drive someone quite mad I imagine (it did) so I raised the query within 7 days.

With regards to to CCL, and 'no issues' if you mean you placed an order, paid for it, then they sent it to you... well that's not customer service, really :D

7. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    micron or samsung?

8. Hyadum

Hyadum Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Tuf 3080 10GB
    Micron.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    My has this 0% fan up until 60C, but I hated that thing and disabled it in bios..

Yeah the gpu has the same cooler as amp extreme.
    https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/gtx-980-ti-amp-omega

I thought there is already Pascal bios tweaker.
    EDIT: nvm, well You can always try Maxwell bios tweaker and use it just for fan tweaking.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Mine has 0% fan up to 60c as well, but find it more useful than not. Since 90% of the time its idling at 36-37c. This considerably extends fan life and cleanliness of the GPU since it doesnt suck up dust when fan is off. Fan only turns on during gaming since thats only time temps hit 60c.

Not sure why anyone would disable this feature unless its not working properly.

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I bought from CCL G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 RAM for my friend,but they're been not compatible with his board and we are needed to return the item,this has been very easy with them and no issues although they confirmed us,probably his board is not compatible with those RAM although my board took those RAM and I've run them for while

From Scan I buying mostly,but there I've only issue or problems with the HDD(Relocation count and SMART errors),but this has been sorted within 2 weeks and they usually will replace my HDD without the problems

Regarding the fan,I always have custom fan profile on my GPU and on my CPU,simply you need to modify fan profile like on CPU or GPU,that's my view

And regarding any buying online,returns can spoil "experience" of people,in my case I don't have "bad" experience,if yes then mostly Amazon or eBay there

Thanks,Jura

12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi TJ

Due this I'm running always AB,there I've custom fan profile and apply my OC which is still moderate(+100MHz on core and +200MHz on VRAM)

Yes that's same cooler what is on GTX1080,wish I've space for Extreme,I would get that card for sure there

Sadly there is no Pascal BIOS Tweaker,seems they're struggling to create BIOS tweaker for Pascal

Here is the picture how it looks

[​IMG]

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

Many people don't like that feature and all depends on user and people,my GPU fan spins at 30-50C up to 40% and then gradually going up to 70%

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    0-60c no fan is totally different than what you describe. I would hate it too if my GPU acted like yours.

14. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

This is my custom profile,stock Zotac profile like you are describing, 0-60° C is 0% fan profile

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Well why overheat other components in idle..?

Extend fan,.. I doubt you will keep that gpu for 5+years.. and even then it won't matter if it spins at 780rpm while in idle.

Imo if it has sporadic fan spikes when it goes to 60C and off- That's more stressful then just slowly raising it like any gpu in the past..

But to each their own. :nerd:

16. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    It might matter as the "hanging" position is the worst you could find for a fan's bearing. On a former Gigabyte 3-fan card, for example, I had one of the fans rattle & die shortly after a year of usage.
    Also, 60°C is nothing that would lead to sporadic spikes or on/off moments. At default, the cards I've seen idle somewhere around or below 40°C. Load temperature is somewhere around 65-70°C, so the fans are either on or off.
    Yes, other components *may* get warmer, but without any real stress they should never get hot.
    On my former card (MSI 970), I had my case fan hooked up to spin after my GPU VRM temperature. So in either case, the card would never overheat.
    It's a bit more complicated for the new card, as it has a full backplate, but even here this method should eliminate any problem with the semi-passive mode easily.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Even the "hanging" position should pose no problem for bearings since the fan doesnt (or shouldnt) jump dramatically in speed. When fan begins to spin (in my case) it starts slow than gradually ramps up as temps rise. 2nd card I own with this feature. With other card (970) it starts around 10% speed at around 50c than slowly builds up. My 1070 starts similarly but around or close to 60c.

For non-frequent gamers who spend most time idling (90% of time in my case) this feature is most useful. Much less dust getting sucked in. 60c should never happen outside of gaming with these cards. And even if it did, no biggie either. 8-10 years ago it was quite common for cards to idle around 60c.

18. galaxy76

galaxy76 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 MSI GAMING X 8G
    Upgrade new BIOS GTX 1070 MSI GAMING X 8G

I'm Italian. sorry for my English.
    i have a GTX 1070 MSI Gaming x 8G.

I would like to upgrade BIOS

But I have never updated BIOS and I'm fear.

My Grafic Card is S/N: 602-v330-43sb160701XXXX and have Micron memory.

i have PC with Intel i5-6500 and windows 7 64bit.

i can upgrade bios of the GTX 1070 MSI GAMING X 8G without problem?

I must be careful with something?
    thanks

19. xixou

xixou Guest

GPU:
    inno3d 1070 3x (4)
  20. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    @alanm: the bearing will still wear faster than in upright position. We used to let radiator fans "bed in" by running them with the blades on top for a while before using them in hanging position.
    It's not like the fan would die after a week or so but it will die earlier and/or make noises due to hearing wear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.