NVIDIA Adds Telemetry to Latest Drivers; Here's How to Disable It

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by (.)(.), Nov 6, 2016.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

yes but... if you were a top-secret govt. agent who likes to play computer games on the same PC that you use for work,
    you wouldn't want Nvidia snooping over your confidential Moscow files

here ya go... :)
    https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Registry cleaners?
    Dear God...this is 2016. I don't even use anti-av, do you even lift bro :D

Anyway they went dodo, along with RAM optimizers.

3. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Interesting to see AMD Crimson driver also gathering the same information during installation:
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Nvidi...12676/&usg=ALkJrhiP_2UKiC_rk8ivO-PDgYNrM3ovbQ

4. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    People Are Reading the Wrong Privacy Policy
    http://www.howtogeek.com/280101/relax-nvidias-telemetry-didnt-just-start-spying-on-you/

5. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    And PC Boosters! Among the myriad of other utilities "promising" to turn your pc into a supercomputer! :D

Good times! It was actually fun running them back then. :p

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    My rig has no task scheduler entries from NVIDIA (with 375.70 installed without GFE).

7. levicki

levicki Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX980
    I think you need to read a bit more on the subject before suggesting others should have their heads checked:

This is OK sort of telemetry.

My monitor model and size is not something Adobe and Google should know without asking me personally for that information, and even then I have the right to refuse since I didn't request any services from them. I just want to use my expensive video card.

GeForce Experience is installed by default and 95% of users will just click through without reading Terms & Conditions. The data vacuumed contains uniquely identifying information which can be used to locate you in person (mainboard serial number -> shipping region -> place of purchase -> paper trail in the store -> your home address).

What I am doing on my own computer is my own damn business, not NVIDIA's and most certainly not some random 3rd parties they might share it with. If previous part was a breach of privacy, this is a breach of trust. I did not buy 740 EUR video card to enable NVIDIA's data collection and further monetizing of my person.

Now, let me add a few observations here:

Latest NVIDIA video driver has 24 folders. To use the video card for what I use it (software and occasional gaming), only 3 are absolutely necessary -- Display.Driver, HDAudio, PhysX.

If I were using 3D Vision, it would have been 5 or maybe 6 if I also use Shield Wireless Controller. You could maybe exempt 1 more for Optimus, and 1 more for ShadowPlay provided that you need those, and I am sure 99% of the people having NVIDIA cards don't.

The rest 16 folders in there are plain and simple bloatware and self-serving junk. What is Camera stuff doing there? By all means provide a separate download for people who want to waste GPU power on Camera visual effects (and crap effects at that), but why do you bundle that **** with video drivers?

To top it off, you cannot integrate NVIDIA drivers into Windows install image anymore and get a fully functional install -- PhysX files are not installed with driver anymore and they have no standalone setup executable or MSI which you could run during unattended phase of Windows install. How are they still getting their certifications is beyond me.

TLDR: The only people in need of head check are those who aren't using it and who voluntarily allow **** like this to go through.

8. levicki

levicki Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX980
    That still does not mean they don't collect personally identifiable information (they just admitted it with the above sentence) or that they won't share that in the future.

If telemetry was opt-in (or if they allowed full opt-out), and if it was communicated up front I wouldn't mind. The backdoor manner in which it was introduced just goes to show how little respect they have for their customers.