8GB vs 16 GB of ram

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by max2, Nov 4, 2016.

1. max2

max2 Member Guru

I am trying to decide if it is worth upgrading from 8 GB of ram to 16 GB of ram ? It will be older DDR3 ram and on a PC.

My problem is in one way I want to because it is so cheap but another way I don't because I plan on upgrading my whole PC within 6 months.

This will be for Battlefield 1. Does anyone know if you saw a difference going from 2 sticks of 4 GB to 2 more sticks of 4 GB to a total of 16 GB in Battlefield 1? If you don't know its ok. I just heard people say there minimum fps increased going from 8 to 16 GB.

2. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    If you were buying a new system then 16gb sure why not, but upgrading from 8 to 16gb at this point with an upgrade down the line, not worth it i say. I doubt any game will have improved performance with 16gb at the moment.

3. max2

max2 Member Guru

Thanks that is what I was thinking.

I just wasn't sure if the extra ram in the meantime would help with BF1 minimum fps or not.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I went from 2x4gb to 4x4gb sticks on my rig, see my spec.

It kinda depends on your game settings. I know I was having crashes due to low RAM while messing with BF4 (4k all maxed) on my 7950 CFX.

Some other games also crashed due to running out of RAM when all maxed. 8gb wasn't quite enough for 1440p all maxed in some games.

It all depends. Can you spare the cost? If so, do it. If you're not sure, don't do it and upgrade everything in 6 months.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

What system do you currently have? DDR3 RAM was used all the way up to Haswell. Whether it would be recommended or not depends on the hardware in the rest of your system as well as how much the extra RAM will cost.

6. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    8 vs 16 will only help if your system is already not that amazing. And even then, only by very little. If you are getting sub-optimal fps in bf1 already, I seriously doubt that +8ram will make or break anything. I have just 8gb here and BF1 never goes above 6.5gb usage.

Unless you can get a nice ram deal, i'd just save the cash and get a better cpu or gpu.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yes, add more system ram. It can only help and wont cost you much. Many games do require 8GB+.

Just make sure you get sticks with the same voltage and timings if you dont want to mess with your bios.

8. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Idk know why it happened to me but when I had 8GB RAM on the same config I had weird double buffering issue. Whenever the game was double buffered the framerate was cut in half with 8GB RAM and when I switched to 16GB the issue was gone. Plus now if some game "leaks" RAM and gets to like 6-7GB usage I no longer have slowdown issues when I decide to hit ALT+TAB and watch YouTube video or stuff while game.

9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

16GB should be minimal for any gaming PC or normal desktop PC,i've upgraded my brother laptop with 16GB and same his gaming PC

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

10. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    You got 96GB RAM jeeeeezzzzuzz.... What do you do on your computer?

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Hes probably using ram disks.

12. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I would say do it. Ram is cheap and I think it would make a difference. It would not be everything, but games like BF1 chew up alot of ram and it can absolutely use it. 16gb is the new minimum imho. Just look at all the games coming out that recommend it.

13. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Yes I've got 96GB RAM,have run 128GB RAM also for while
    PC is used for rendering,3D works and developments plus some VM

In rendering I can see 64GB RAM usage and due this I'm running 96GB RAM

But to OP,extra 16GB or 8GB is now very cheap and worth to upgrade right now

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

Mostly PC or RAM is used in rendering and there I need lots of RAM,I hate to be RAM limited when I render there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    That's the problem with 4 or 8GB RAM plebs.
    You start comparing your RAM with jura11's and wondering if your 4 or 8GB RAM is enough?

Well, I be damned if I said my 8GB is not enough.
    I am not using my PC for professional production. I am simple man. A simple PC user and Gamer.

You all can see and regulate how much RAM your PC is using. Most plebs including me don't need to have many many software running in background doing something.
    Want to run a game and have only 2GB left? Just close software that you not gonna use during gaming.
    If it's not enough, you probably got too much trash on your RAM, restart or relog to Windows. (Windows really bad on memory management)

Of course there some unoptimized or stupidly heavy games that just dump all models, textures, etc.. on RAM on during load. In some cases you can adjust it, in some cases you might actually need more RAM, but I am not sure if you gonna get any noticeable FPS improvements because of it.

Plebs who ACTUALLY need more RAM are those who can't compromise by closing other software to run more.

15. max2

max2 Member Guru

Thanks everyone I just upgraded to 16 GB of ram and everything feels faster in Windows 10! Not sure why. Firefox is faster and seems to use less ram now and BF1 is faster as well. BF1 does use more ram but not by much. Still I am glad it is taking advantage of it. In Battlefield 1 64 slot multiplayer with all my other applications (Firefox, Thunderbird, Malwarebytes Pro, etc) running in the background total ram usage is around 7.7 to 8 GB !