Manufacturers roll out firmware updates for GeForce GTX 1070 due to memory Issue

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 20, 2016.

1. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    It's pretty sad. Everything said here sums up what I'm thinking as well. Anyone have any updates from Gigabyte?

2. goodfellashxm

goodfellashxm Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx 1070 g1
    Nope, still nothing. I was thinking about getting another g1 gaming for sli, but if they don't fix this soon, I don't think I would get a gigabyte product again :mad:

3. RealismK

RealismK Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 8GB
    I recently also got a g1 gaming (GTX 1070) with the Micron module, which is pretty annoying in comparison with the Samsung ones. I could not choose, and this can't be like.. I'm buying a lottery ticket... :bonk:, because it's cheaper for a company to buy Micron and misleading and so far a unequal treatment to customers for it's own profits, if they don't fix the problem with their Graphics card with Micron.

I already opened a ticket with Gigabyte about this, but no answer yet.

I was really shocked when Gigabyte indeed came with false information about their cards with Micron build-in or not, but afterwards they revealed this. They should take their responsibility within the laws, if customers have any problems with their graphics card.

If they don't fix this, I will return the card within my rights.

4. goodfellashxm

goodfellashxm Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx 1070 g1
    Yeah I think they should really consider the consequences of this marketing move. Normally 1070 owners would like to play with their rigs and see how far it can go, so this problem is gonna reveal sooner or later, lying isn't gonna do them any good. I don't know what they were thinking, perhaps somehow they thought their customers would be quiet and they can get away with it. I'll just see how this plays out, up until now clearly gigabyte didn't take this seriously.

5. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    It's already been said on here that ALL GTX 1070s from every vendor manufactured after June have micron memory. So there is no lottery here, if you bought your GTX 1070 recently, you almost have a 100% chance of getting Micron memory.
    Gigabytes initial response was not necessarily lying, it just showed uncertainty. Like "oh I don't think we use that but let me go check". If they were to lie, they would just straight out say we don't have it and wouldn't bother "double checking".
    Later on they once again showed us how clueless they are by saying they haven't noticed any problems later to say they will release a bios last week -which they never did but that doesn't mean they aren't still working on it.

So it's a shame that they handled this as unprofessionally as possible but they never said they weren't going to release a fix. Though I do think as customers we deserve a response from Gigabyte letting us know that they are still working on it and perhaps an updated ETA on the new bios.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  6. goodfellashxm

goodfellashxm Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx 1070 g1
    OK this actually makes more sense, I didn't think they wouldn't know the consequences of lying to customers. But it's still shocking how poorly the communication between their marketing department and production department is. Shouldn't they confirm the situation before issuing the statement? This kind of marketing would seems like they're trying to cover this while the other manufacturers are solving problem, even though now I know it probably was a communication failure.

7. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
  8. uKER

uKER Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
  9. balane

balane Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    OMG, my cheek is stinging from that slap!!

10. RealismK

RealismK Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 8GB
    Is this especially for the micron problem? I know the F2 vbios update is out today (Samsung memory), their description about a vbios update is so simple.

Where is the micron update? :)

P.s.: GIGABYTE we would like to know what you've changed in your update.. :D

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

11. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    WTF indeed. How many customers are they trying to lose?:bang:
    Let me guess; there was another "communication error" and the clueless guys at Gigabyte applied the micron fix to Samsung. :banana:

12. goodfellashxm

goodfellashxm Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx 1070 g1
    At first I'm angry, now I'm just amused...

13. ontelo

ontelo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
  14. Bogeyx

Bogeyx Active Member

GPU:
    2070 RTX @ 2050Mhz
    Can someone download the files? No matter what version or program trying to open the .rar says corrupted.

15. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    They all unzip fine with 7-zip

16. RealismK

RealismK Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 8GB
    In the meanwhile, I received a answer from Gigabyte about the Micron issues.

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. Kindly note we receive similar request for BIOS update but none of the customers can describe the problem they face regarding this article. Meanwhile, our engineer had tried to see if we can manipulate the problem but the result shows no issue is found. Therefore, if you do see and face the problem listed in the article, please record a video or describe the situation step by step and our engineer will follow the information to see if we can duplicate the case. Once we can duplicate the situation, we can try to provide a solution. Otherwise, we can hardly provide a solution while no issue is found in lab.

To make the story short, if you do not face the problem with your platform, you do not have to worry about this matter. If you do, then make sure to record a video and show us the information step by step and we will try our best to support.

Regards,
    GIGABYTE

17. Bogeyx

Bogeyx Active Member

GPU:
    2070 RTX @ 2050Mhz
    Yeah, they fixed it. The files are now a lot bigger and i dont have any problems.
    [​IMG]

18. RealismK

RealismK Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 8GB
    My reaction as follow:

Dear e-Support,

Thank you for your answer.

The exact problem with the Micron is, is the problem is related to the speed of adjusting the voltage from the low power idle frequency/voltage operating point (P-States) so the memory has enough voltage to handle the overclocked load. Owners able to keep the idle voltage above 0.800 volts before they apply the overclock won’t see a problem. Otherwise, they will see corrupted imagery such as checkerboard patterns.

The current information seen in the Gigabyte EXTREME GAMING ENGINE is, is that the idle (P) state is 0.781 mV. That's safe for now, but sometimes it drops to 0.625 - 0.682 mV, then a BSOD will follow with the VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR together with strange colored artifacts, then a windows reboot follows.

I stress tested my GTX 1070 G1 Gaming with Future 3DMark on Firestrike with a manual overclock settings:

+ 100 Mhz Core makes (boost clock 1885 Mhz, with gpu-boost 3.0 2036 Mhz)

+ 900 Mhz Memory (makes 8908 Mhz GDDR5)

+ 111 Powerlimit - Temperature Limit + 9 (Total of 92 Degrees Celcius)

+0 GPU Voltage.

Temperature Idle: 31 Degrees Celsius
    Temperature 99%/100% load: not exceeding 57 Degrees Celsius.

With the OC settings above the benchmarking was successful.

Although with the Samsung memory modules, they can achieve at least from 9200 to 9500 Mhz OC with their same card. That means extra performance. But the with the Micron memory I can't get passed 8900 Mhz Effective with the memory speed.

Possible solution with a proper vBios update:

If the (P) idle voltage states (idle/2D mode) could be raised standard a little bit higher to minimal of 0.800 mV from the bios, that would make the card much more stable. And the card must not lower itself below 0.800 mV when stopped playing 3D mode (active P state).

Maybe raising the power limit to 125% instead of 111% would might help the overall Overclocking from the new vBios.

Thanks in advance.

Yours Sincerely

19. RealismK

RealismK Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 8GB

20. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Hi,
    I did and difference is amazing. My boost went from 2068MHz to 2101MHz
    and Memory from 200MHz (400effective) to 600MHz!!!Which translates to 9200.(manual overclock of course)
    Was expecting a bump but this is so sweet :) just shows you how pathetic manufacturers are. Yes there are hardware differences between various models of cards but the bigest one is ROM. My mate who has just the Jetstream (not superjet..) is getting same performance as the most expensive Gamerock edition.

But further to your question. I was reading that Palit first pulled their updated ROM as a lot of people got a fail at 99% when they were updating. This should have been resolved though..maybe try contacting them and let them know that not all has been resolved