Microsoft announces offline mode for Win10 games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Microsoft sends word that  that an offline mode is available right now for its Windows 10 games. According to the publisher, most games available in the Store support offline play, however players ar...

Microsoft announces offline mode for Win10 games

2. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    if you actually look at the steps you need to take to "prepare a game to play offline its very tedious microsoft google and the rest make money by harvest your data and selling it so they dont want you offline thus make it tedious so you cant be bothered windows 10 seems to me turn a pc into a console so all devices are equal but in the end win 10 could be the death of pc gaming because if u got no freedom to do what you want on a pc whats the point especially when you put lot more money into a pc than a console costs so you get that freedom

3. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Jesus man, punctuation.

I think that it's nice that they're adding this functionality back so that we can play games like our ancestors did since the 50's.

Ugh. When did always online become a thing anyway?

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    When DRM came into play.

5. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I don't understand why people whinge for offline gaming especially when you have to "download" the game any ways. Gosh it reminds me of the days when I'd have tens of folders in My Documents with different save games! But, nonetheless - good on MS for supporting this and pleasing the people who whine the most to make a company look bad.

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If he does that then the round-earthers win.

Joking aside, this seems like standard behavior that should have been there since day 1. Next step, resumable downloads and installation discovery like Origin and Steam. I hope it doesn't take them as long as this one.

7. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Did you forget that a lot of people have Data Caps oh no your SOL

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  8. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Who cares? Nobody uses the Windows Store anyways. The Windows Store is where apps go to die. In fact many developers ignore the Windows Store completely because they know that there's no point wasting their time with it. Why should they when there's Steam, GOG and other ways of selling software? (Not to mention the Android Play Store and the iOS app store.)
    It's not like Windows 10 forces it's users to use the Windows Store, which means that I do not need it. Hell, I ripped it out of my installation completely. That's right, I deleted the dam thing. Not disabled, not hid; Deleted.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Not everybody lives in a perfect internet world.

I'm lucky enough to not suffer from long down times but i have many friends who are not so lucky.

Even yesterday evening Origin was down for me for hours. So i could of if i wanted still play off line games but i don't really own many single player type games.

I mean people should have the right to play their games offline right, shouldn't even be an issue in the first place but of course it is because MS makes it so.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Hehe.

2016; offline-mode is a new feature...for some games. XD

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Origin...one of the main reasons I don't do clean installs as often as I would like. Restoring the games is still a nightmare...especially on 1.5 DSL.

12. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    You clearly don't understand the difference between GB (gigabytes) and MB (megabytes) there fella. If a game is 40GB to download, then what is a couple of MB for a save game file? Exactly...

I don't know what SOL is but we don't have data caps on most UK broadband service providers. Must be a US thing.

13. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    I know right? Steam has had offline mode since... what, forever?
    The Windows Store is mainly aimed at Windows Phone users (such as they are). It only exists in Windows 10 because Microsoft's boneheaded decision to make "one platform to rule them all" means that desktop Windows is forced to have a store that was designed for smartphones.... smartphones that do not sell well. Stupid strategy.

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If it's a total bandwidth cost of around 10MB every time you launch it, it can become more trouble than it's worth. There are also bandwidth and time constraints. A lot of people are in areas with less than 4Mbit connections. Anyway, I cannot see how this can be considered negative.

15. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Really you never heard the phase SOL (**** Out of Luck)
    With only 300GB per mouth like my ISP has that doesn't last long with other people house hold and can't steaming to min movie or show just video

16. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Games like FH3 would not work well in offline mode at all. You wouldn't even be able to customize your car or download other designs. who knows? The Festivals might not even work. The game says nothing about an offline mode in the store.

17. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Doesn't that Forza Horizon 3 for Xbox work in off line

18. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Well I do know that EA was down on Saturday night, the night I had a good buddy come over and all we wanted to do was play some Need For Speed and guess what? We could not even load the game. It boils me that I can not access a game I paid for because the company servers are down. Just seems like way things are gonna be now and we seem powerless to do anything about it. Besides not play the game of course, but that sucks and kinda blows that the only option is to not play it at all.

So offline mode is a good thing but should be there by default. I suppose enough people requested offline mode and Microsoft listened. Perhaps we can do something about it after all...

19. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Windows Store

I just wanted to say that I appreciate the Windows store. Buying and playing DX12 games like Quantum Break and Gears of War 4 on my desktop; is totally outstanding! The off-line option is nevertheless a good thing.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  20. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Ever heard of server issues? Even M$ will not guaranty you that their servers will be online all the time. And don't get me started on overloaded servers by launch. Or your provider can have some problems. And so on.