Mafia 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    I really wonder how much percent of the old Ilussion softworks team actually ended up here https://warhorsestudios.cz/ reasoning aside.

not following the US 2K Czech call anymore, seems to be a bunch that got indie there and some really influential guys also ;)

And they do some really interesting stuff technically wise aside of the Cry Engine Render Core as well :)

[​IMG]

If you lose the Visionaries of a Game title you gonna lose it's heart Mafia 3 seems to partly show that result really well in the end or should we rather say at its new beginning ? ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. Dr Proton

Dr Proton Guest

GPU:
    The term visionary being applied to Daniel Vavra is especially hilarious considering he has a bung eye!:3eyes:

He's a 'visionary' that managed to do such a great job with Mafia 2 that he was fired 7 years into development on his subpar followup to a classic, a full year before it hit retail, leaving Illusion in the most favorable of positions: at the mercy of a AAA publisher.

Thank God Take Two owned Rockstar and roped them in to save the project!

3. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    ...To deliver us a butchered game with tons of cut content. Good job 2k!

I still remember 2k PRs telling so much bullsh*t during the interviews made before the launch.

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Umm, what?

5. Dr Proton

Dr Proton Guest

GPU:
    I agree. It wasn't very good. Vavra was way out of his depth and it shows in every dimension of the game. 2K had to rush it out the door in its final months: cutting is shipping.

It was such a troubled production, Rockstar North had to assist on the game. The media has falsely reported that 2K Czech helped out on GTA V. 100% incorrect. They were only approached to discuss the tennis mini-game, and helped by handing over their Top Spin tennis assets.

They were working on their iteration of Mafia 3 which was cancelled in 2013.

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    And that has what to do with Mafia III?

Tons of studios constantly seek outside help. Rockstar does it constantly. Remedy assisted on Max Payne 3.
    And Remedy brought in outside assistance on the PC version of Alan Wake.

The only thing I car about is the end product. And Mafia 2 is awesome. So, I don't care how the development cycle was "troubled" or not.
    The final game was incredible.

7. Dr Proton

Dr Proton Guest

GPU:
    Remedy only did minor consulting on Max Payne 3 which is completely different to the Mafia 2 situation were Rockstar had to re-engineer the game, so your comparison leaves a lot to be desired.

What it has to do with Mafia 3, is that some bozo was attempting to apply the auteur theory to video game development, which is beyond foolish! :puke2:

I care about both the end product, and developer's credit. To imply that 2K Czech's role in Mafia 3 was insignificant and soulless because 'Gamergate' Daniel wasn't involved is, frankly, insulting.

8. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    Its the small details that impress me. I noticed that when driving in a tunnel the radio signal is faint but when emerging it becomes crystal clear.

I recently went to New Orleans earlier this summer and stayed in the French Quarter. I walked down Bourbon Street many times. Some of the buildings look legit. What Bourbon Street really is, its basically for every bar its 3 stripclubs. And everyone is constantly trying to hustle money out of you. . Place smelled like sewage. I had to kinda run out of the place when i heard a guy from a balcony yell "White Power", in this being a primarily black area.

This game is unfinished. The AI is the worst ive ever seen, they have the AOE of an 80 year old man with cataracts the thickness of a drink coaster. Lincoln has the whistle of Axl Rose. A gigantic hulk of a black man in pre civil rights new orleans draws little suspicion. I do like how you are tresspassing in stores when the owner doesnt serve "youre kind". The shooting and driving are some of the best ive played in years. the blood and gore system is epic. the takedowns are very satisfying. The game has its flaws, fore sure. But i still would put it up there as one of the GOTY in my book.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  9. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Most people consider the first 3 hours the best, so have fun with the rest lol :D

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Firstly... you are overstating what Rockstar contributed to Mafia II.
    And secondly, my "comparison" doesn't leave anything for anything. My point was tons of studios constantly have outside assistance.

Most of the biggest games are not made by just the one studio who's name is put up front and center.
    Specially when said studios are owned by the same publisher. It's common practice... and Mafia II is 2K Czech.

Just as Mafia III is Hanger13.
    2K Czech helped, but it was not their game.

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Some folks really get deep about this stuff. The staff, the back-room dealings...

I just play the game. Try to enjoy it for whatever it is. I started on Pong & Pac-Man. Perhaps it's a perspective thing.

I'm finding Mafia 3 is best in small doses. Still enjoying it. But I just got Civ VI. Total time sink.

12. Dr Proton

Dr Proton Guest

GPU:
    I'm not overstating Rockstar's contributions in any way. The game wouldn't have shipped without their involvement, which they resented because it took vital resources away from their internal projects.

Highlighting Rockstar's relationship with Remedy on Max Payne 3 as an example of publishers relying on external development talent to ship a game is a terrible pick. You went for the easy fruit because I bought up Rockstar, but didn't have a relevant example to assist your argument. A more apt choice would be something like Gearbox's contract with Timegate on their magnum opus Aliens: Colonial Marines.

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    How are you getting 58fps on a GTX 970? In benchmarks even a GTX 1070 only gets 46 fps and a maximum of 50 fps maxed at 1080p.

Also many reports of bugs, glitches and poor quality control.

http:// wcc ftech . com/mafia-3-benchmark-nvidia-gtx-1080/

Scroll down a little on the above link and watch the quality control video.

Did you experience any of the above? Seems the game was rushed and poorly coded leading to poor performance.

Even SLI is not supported. Anything over 1080P is unplayable regardless of what GPU you have.

A GTX 1080 is the bare minimum you need to hit 58-60 fps fully maxed only at 1080P.

Want to play at 4k? Forget is as frame rates are 23 and that's on the GTX 1080!

Makes me think twice if I should buy this game or not. Also the complaints about the 30 fps hack you need a 3gb patch!

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I do love him. Damien is very talkative, helpful and friedly user. One of those people where you can learn something from.

Still, talking performance with him i find very strange. Many anomalies in his performance metrics.

Hes been running Quantum Break at 60fps (when no one cant), hes been running Deus Ex 60fps, Mafia III and so on...

That 970 of his must be something special.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    To clarify, my 1080p monitor recently decided that life had been too hard and ended it's silent suffering of it's own free will.
    I had had it a minute or two, but yeah, it died.

So, since I'm a cheap **** and haven't bought a replacement... I've been using a secondary monitor lately.
    It's native res is 1600*900, so... for Mafia III that's what I've been using.

DX I did use my 1080p monitor, not at "Very High" settings, but High and it ran great.
    That monitor died sometime after DX's release...
    With Quantum Break, the Win10 version ran like pfft. So long as Upscaling was on it was playable.
    The STEAM version runs much better. Textures on Ultra, shadows on High... global illumination and volumetric lighting on Medium. Upscaling off. And at 900p it holds a solid 60fps.

I will get back to a 1080p monitor. Once I find one I feel like buying. As I said, I'm a cheap ****. :)
    And, for the time being, I'm fine with what I'm using.

EDIT: And honestly, it never dawned on me to specify. :) Nobody asked as most tend to just assume that other people play at the same resolution they do.
    But for me, resolution doesn't matter much. While everyone else is all 4K! and 1440p!!!!... I'm content with 1080p.
    And even now, using an older monitor at a slightly lower res (honestly, the difference between 1080p and 900p is so marginal) it's not bugging me one bit.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016

16. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    A monitor at native resolution will usually look fine. So a 900p monitor will look best at that resolution. Same for 1080p. Running any lower res. will make the image blurry and not pleasant to look at though.

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I know.
    Some think that anything under a certain resolution is unplayable, regardless of how clear it actually looks.

I mean, I miss my monitor... mostly for the larger overall size of it. But, for the time being... what I'm using is more then fine with me.
    Hopefully I can secure another bonus at work. If so, I'll be able to replace the monitor sooner then later.

But, as for the game itself... it's still managing anywhere between 50 to 70 FPS. Normally, while driving around it's in the low 50s, but walking... high 50s. And indoor locations and missions... 60s to 70.
    Since the second update I've been setting AA to low, as it decreases the amount of blur in the image.
    Also, I dropped reflections to medium. Noticed ZERO change in visuals, but saw a few extra frames.

Also, it seems certain districts of the city run better then others. I'm currently in the French Ward, which is a more detailed, tighter packed area. More cars, people... intricate details and building designs.
    Yet, performance is higher in this area then it has been in other areas. In some ways, it seems (from a visual stand point) the French Ward got far more attention then other districts in the game.
    It has been, so far, one of the better looking areas in the game.

But, I'm interested to see what will be coming in the game's next update. Hanger13 have said they have more, larger updates in the works.
    I'm hoping for some improved performance, tweaks to certain visual elements (ghosting around tress, clouds/sky improvements, shader fixes... Lincoln can look silver under certain lighting).

Also, some UI options would be great. I'd love to disable the rear-view mirronr and scale the HUD down a little.

18. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    Funny, Pong was stolen from Ralph Baer Atari CEO saw the Magnavox Odyssey at a trade show. The game was essentially Pong on a console you plug in to the TV a d you can lay cellophane overlays on the screen to make it appear as different sports. Sothey literally have his signature proving his attendance and he goes and relabels it as Pong.

19. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    No clever redistribution of resources especially the PP Layer ;)

And it is a fact that most PC Gamers hate PP over usage (Chromatic Abberation perfect example no one really want's it) per each Frame and so in continuous Motion but still it's being done for the AHA Effect of the Console Gamers and to make IHVs more happy ;)

And you get less and less options for Console targeted Products to decide and adapt it to your system yourself.

Also the Over usage of Volumetrics is being a problem these days Nvidia even does it to showcase how awesome they are with their CR and releasing their own Mods which is a explosion of over usage just for Showcase of their own implementation for it inside of Gameworks :(

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  20. Asisvenia

Asisvenia Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680 Lightning
    I really liked shooting and driving. I haven't experienced such a that kind of feeling in the last years.. Also weapon sounds (of course including soundtracks) amazing. Storyline, progression nice but repititive missions sometimes can be boring.

There are so much unfinished things I've seen in the game. Clothes-car customization, weapons upgrade, activities, property manegement vs.. Hangar 13 should put these things in the game already. I think they'll release an update for these issues.