MSI AfterBurner 4.3.0 Beta 14 Available For the Public

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 2, 2016.

1. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Thanks for testing, that's good info.

3. XcroN

XcroN Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Aorus xtreme
    I guess the custom Direct3D Support is not good for this game. Without it game works well.

4. Unwinder

Context help for custom Direct3D support option is strongly recommending you to avoid enabling this option globally for all games. Proper usage scenario for it is to enable it via game profiles and only for those games where you use modded Direct3D libraries.

5. Unwinder

MSI Afterburner 4.3.0 RC distributive has been updated. MSI Afterburner itself is exactly the same build 9267 as in the previous RC with no changes, but bundled RTSS 6.5.0 distributive has been upgraded to newer build 8709 (also available as separate download a few posts above). I'm rather satisfied with testing results so most likely this RC will be submitted to MSI for release on Monday.

6. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for this bit of info! That memory usage bug had been driving me mad!!!

Why not make that a switch in the configuration settings??

7. Unwinder

Because it is a waste of development resources to do so just to provide temporary solution wich will become completely useles after releasing a fixed driver.

8. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Hi, i searched around in the forums, but couldnt find anything similar.
    I have a 1060 TI 6GB (Windforce OC 2x) running on win 8.1 with msi afterburner 4.3.0 beta 14 and drivers 372.70.
    I have OCed/Undervolted the card with the Curve editor. I found really stable curves depending on what i wanted (just lowest voltage with 1800mhz for instance and highest Frequency at lowest possible voltage) by thoroughly testing the curves with MSI Kombustor, Doom, Call of duty. Thank i saved each of the curves into one of the 5 slots. Now often when i restart my pc and than try to apply one of the profiles, it autimatically shifts the whole curve a few mhz higher, so that the whole thing becomes unstable, even reloading the preset and applying again, it does the same thing. I saw that the same happens even if i have it set to load config on start.
    For example i have one curve that allows max freq 1800 mhz and the lowest voltage for it is 0.8v, which is perfectly stable, but sometimes (not always and i cant figure the reason for it - it is randomly reproducible though) it ups the frequency to 1817 by itself at the same 0.8v, than it gets unstable.
    My question now, is this a bug, or wanted behavior and how one could get around this, because otherwise i have to always load the profile, apply, than readjust the frequency table and apply again. Thanks

9. Unwinder

It is a bug in fundamental understanding of GPU boost. It was repeated a lot of times that you CANNOT expect to see exact resulting fixed clock values in any point of the curve. In GPU boost 3.0 you can only control the offset applied to each point and expect it (i.e offset) to be fixed, but you cannot expect that the base clock in each point will remain static. It is supposed to change dynamically depending on thermal and power conditions.

10. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Thanks,
    i did read your other post on the forum about boost 3.0, but as far as i understood that, i expected fixed behavior when using the curve function. Apparently boost 3.0 sets the base frequency on the lower steps, which we cant(?) control. Not sure how power or thermal envelope would play a role with under 50% TDP and under 50 degrees celsius temps in this case.
    I guess ill have to set my curves a bit less aggressive.

11. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Any news?

12. Unwinder

Final build of 4.3.0 has been submitted to MSI on Monday, it is the same build as I provided here a few posts above. It normally takes them about a week to prepare PR stuff and update it officially on their servers.

13. Unwinder

Base clocks are moving up/down by half of crystal clock step (27/2=13.5MHz) with each 5C temperature change. So if you adjust the curve at some static temperature then your card become 5C cooler, you can see higher clocks than you could expect assuming that base clock is static.

14. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Thank you, this is very informative.
    Might it be possible/reasonable for to implement such a logic in Afterburner, that it would compensate for this, so that a once set frequency at a voltage point would always be held? (as in my example to stay at 1800mhz at 0,8v instead of going to 1813mhz at 0,8v if the starting temp is lower - or with several freq/voltage points). It might make ocing for many easier and stabler.

15. Unwinder

No, sorry. There won't be any dynamic OC logic in AB. GPU Boost 3.0 is complex even without it.

16. shuieryin

shuieryin Guest

GPU:
    16g
    Dear Unwinder,

I was having below errors when building the sample project and couldn't find "RTSSHooksTypes.h" from sample code locally. Could you kindly advise how to create this file? Thanks a lot~!:)

d:\program files (x86)\rivatuner statistics server\sdk\include\rtsssharedmemory.h(9) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'RTSSHooksTypes.h': No such file or directory
    RTSSSharedMemorySampleDlg.cpp
    d:\program files (x86)\rivatuner statistics server\sdk\include\rtsssharedmemory.h(9) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'RTSSHooksTypes.h': No such file or directory
    Generating Code...
    Error executing cl.exe.