GeForce 375.57 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by khanmein, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Erm, please get your facts straight before you start throwing around accusations.

I am an Insider Previewer using the Release Preview option only and I got the cumulative and other updates on Thursday through the Windows Update as normal. I initially thought the tile issue was due to the cumulative update and reported it via the Feedback tool.

However, it turns out that the issue is due to the latest driver; there are now numerous reports of it on the forums and NVIDIA have already confirmed this. They are going to release a hotfix driver soon.

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes there are all sorts of other issues being reported too, including Calendar app crashes, broken GIF animations and corrupted YouTube video playback, though I've not experienced those myself. A hotfix will be released soon, likely early next week, but I would just revert to the last driver if these issues are affecting you. Ironically, games are likely to work fine.

It really highlights the need for NVIDIA's QA department to do more thorough testing of non-gaming stuff and Windows itself as this is the second time this year that one of their drivers has broken some elements of Windows functionality. What makes this particularly frustrating is that they are not immediately obvious as driver issues so people can waste time trying to fix it other ways, including reinstalling Windows clean and things like that.

It's ridiculous that stuff like this happens IMO. I mean it took me literally minutes to experience the issues post-v373.57 driver install so how come no-one else testing the driver did? Does a driver get WHQL certification merely because the PC boots up to the desktop with it installed? It makes you wonder doesn't it? ;)

3. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Hmm.. These drivers seems to be a hot mess for me :'/

As always, did a clean install using DDU to get rid of the older ones. I'm running Windows 10 14393, 2x GTX 980 in SLI and 2x monitors, 1x PG348Q 3440x1440@100Hz, G-Sync and 1x PG278Q 2560x1440@144Hz, G-Sync.

The Windows 10 Start-Menu is all-over-the-place after installing this driver. Most of the time icons won't show in the start menu at all.

H1Z1 King of the Kill performance is worse than before, and I can micro-stutters all over the place in the game. It's horrible.

Battlefield 1 performance is not all the great either. Playing with everything on Ultra, DX12 and TAA enabled and resolution scale at 100% I get 40-55 FPS. I'm not entirely sure what to expect when I play on 3440x1440, but I felt this was not all that great.

Lowering settings to High with AA set to FXAA High didn't do anything with the performance.. It was the exact same??

I tried various things like disabling G-Sync, trying with Fullscreen instead of Borderless but it didn't seem to improve on anything.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    For once I didn't install these as soon as they were posted, might just give them a miss, too many reports of them breaking crApps, and unfortunately I need the mail one for now

5. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    They could hire us member of this forum for the WHQL team.... Surely we can do a better job
    Since a lot of time they're are focusing on bug fixing instead of improvement/features... and they continue to broke things they fixed before XD

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    v373.57 is also a new driver branch which are always a prime candidate for issues such as previously working games being broken and these kinds of Windows issues.

Unless people like us actually install and test the drivers then issues like this will go unfixed, especially one that might say affect older games. I don't expect NVIDIA to release a perfect driver, that would be silly as there's clearly no such thing on PC (or consoles for that matter), but I do expect them to at least test the drivers aren't causing issues with basic features of Windows like the Start menu and Windows Mail app! It defies belief IMO that these drivers even got certification as someone clearly hasn't been doing their job properly to miss things like that.

7. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    great driver on regular win10 update ring. I do have the tile bug, but I only had it after reading about it here, as I never move tiles anways, not a biggie.

In games, where I spend the bulk of my time, they do their job as usual.

8. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Aah oke that explains your on the windows insider program ! still in my experience with the insider program for one year is that each update will break something sometimes not. It is good that you provinde feedback to the developpers like NVIDIA an MS. The only point I tried to make is that if you use channels as Insider preview don't be too harsh on the software developers they are trying to make the best of it :)

9. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Expecially cause of this before releasing a new branch as WHQL they could release at least a Beta driver to test for power user: If they release official WHQL with such problems...an average user that downloads the driver would probably on't understand it's problems are driver related (maybe they'll think it's a virus). Also cause in my experience the average user downloads only one video driver and almost never upgrade it XD

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  10. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    I'm back on 373.06, and all my Windows 10 Start-Menu issues are gone, and all the stuttering and flickering in H1Z1 King of the Kill is gone and the performance in Battlefield 1 is pretty much the same as with 375.57..

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ endbase - The Feedback tool is a great idea. Using it allowed me to report several major issues with Windows 10 including the All Apps menu not showing all my installed apps and programs (due to a then limitation of 512 items), the Xbox One controller's phantom movement to the left mainly in Unity engine games (now fixed, at least on my system) and one where I was unable to move lager Windows Store games from one drive to another (due to a bug with files over 4 GB in size reputedly). Granted some of them took Microsoft a year to fix (the controller issue) but at least they fixed it in the end!

I am happy to test Release Preview builds of Windows since these are the most stable anyway and are usually released publically a week or so later. If I encounter issues then I report them and hope that they are quickly fixed.

However, there is a difference between Release Preview builds of Windows, which I accept might be buggy or problematic, and a WHQL certified version of a graphics driver, which I might expect to have some issues and bugs with games but certainly not causing the kinds of issues reported in this version with the basic functionality of Windows itself. That is poor testing IMO as these are not obscure issues but things that are very easy to replicate and come across within minutes of installing the driver, e.g. the Windows Mail app which I would imagine many Windows 10 users are using as their email client! ;)

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Luckily I didn't get them yet after all, using the Mail app as well :)

373.06 seems solid thus far so keepers for now.

13. beseitfia

beseitfia Guest

GPU:
    SLI x2 MSI Gtx980 Gaming
    Never had any flickering issue with previous drivers. Now, instead, after installing latest drivers with my rig (msi gtx 1080 gaming X and rog swift 144hz) i noticed that the screen started to flicker right after installing the drivers...I always remove old drivers in safe mode with ddu cleaner, and this time i did the exactly same thing...After a reboot all went to normal. The strange thing is that this morning i started the pc to play battlefield 1 and the screen started to flicker again, but just on desktop without doing anything, in game or doing some minor stuff like browsing chrome it's just fine without flickering..really weird, i will try to reinstall the driver and se if it helps

14. walktexranga

walktexranga Member

GPU:
    MSI 4080 SUPRIM X
    BF1 fps have dropped.. am rolling back..

15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The driver itself bumps API support to 1.0.24, yes.

Code:
    Device Properties and Extensions :
    ==================================
    GPU0
    VkPhysicalDeviceProperties:
    ===========================
    	apiVersion     = 0x400018  (1.0.24)
    	driverVersion  = 1573797888 (0x5dce4000)
    	vendorID       = 0x10de
    	deviceID       = 0x1b80
    	deviceType     = DISCRETE_GPU
    	deviceName     = GTX 1080
    The only app which hangs up as a result is Windows Explorer actually, and you can simply restart it from Task Manager. But yeah, I confirm this bug as well.

16. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Lol that guy always does drive by trolling every time someone mentions that win10 actually has gaming benefits, especially in the frostbite engine. well win8 does as well compared to win7.

A simple google search leads to a ton of comparison vids for every frostbite engine game.

for battlefield 1, so far not much video evidence, but the one vid that has it, you can see the CPU spikes on win7 are significantly more frequent and higher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT7egYMyMaQ

this one for bf4 couldn't be more clear though about post win7 OS benefits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu2HM0EGC0w

then we got this for dragon age inquisition

https://forum.bioware.com/topic/530446-windows-7-vs-windows-8-performance-summary-and-comparison/

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age...ed-me-to-play-without-stuttering/td-p/4280733

All of it must be drivel :wanker:

17. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I cannot confirm that, it is not fixed on my system.

18. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb

and windows server 2016 converted to desktop is good for games more faster or slow comparad to windows 10 in dx11 and 12 ?

19. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    windows10 Mail app crashes with this driver ?!!

anyone else ?!!

20. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    well known issue. NV goin to release hot-fix soon or later.