Manufacturers roll out firmware updates for GeForce GTX 1070 due to memory Issue

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 20, 2016.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Mine appears to have Samsung.

2. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    The big deal was getting past the fanboyism and acceptance of the bug in the first place, getting nvidia to fix the bug and then to push it out via all the partners having arranged them to add their branding, customizations etc.

Downloading the new completed bios software and installing it is the easy part

3. Patch

Patch Guest

GPU:
    16gb Kingston fury x 1866
    Mine is Evga GTX 1070 Ftw with samsung

4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Thanks for your efforts. I was the first to report this to the GTX1070 thread here and I only discovered the problem via a post in the Steam COD:BO3 forum by a user.

Overall, the attitude of my fellow users has been pretty good here. I know it helped a few users exchange cards and be made aware of the problem. These bios fixes have definitely taken a while to release, longer than expected.

5. KayserKay

KayserKay Member

GPU:
    Palit Super JS GTX 1070
    Palit Bios for 1070 pulled back! Hope for a new one today!

6. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    My evga 1070 sc acx indeed had micron memory on it. Updated the bios, will have to test it today. Probably that was the problem with oc when running 3dmark.

7. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    There is a 37 page thread on Nvidia.com. That thread has had been plenty of fanboys and nay sayers, even after Nvidia agreed to create the bios fix.

8. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    You are welcome.

I posted about it in the afterburner section here when I first discovered it thinking it may be easier to have AB coded to work around the problem. I was told by some users there that I should not have any expectations of being able to overclock anything. The Irony that I was being told that on an overclocking site made me laugh.

I'm not that surprised it has taken a month or so. Nvidia had to spend time on it, test it and then send it to the partners and engage them to customize and test themselves. Given the outright denial by some vendors and vague answer from others, I suspect that don't have it in the high priority queue.

9. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  10. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Thanks guys, very good news :thumbup:

11. zeljkoni

zeljkoni Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX660 twin frozr OC
    I have 5x gainward bliss 1070 micron and bunch of Gainward phoenic samsung...

So far I tested memory OC in mining mode only

So far Samsung is stable with +780-900, but also lover P states and voltage might crash driver so its a bit hard to test right!!
    Bliss micron updated to new bios
    +800 stable ONLY IF I force static frequency and voltage so card NEVER drop to under P2 state!!
    If I don`t force hight clock even +450 is crshing miner at start! with new micron bios from site!

So problem is still not fixed!

MSI gaming X micron CRAP, first MSI gaming dies this pice of crap is overheating, guru3d I blmae you and all review sites for misleading us!!!!! I am waiting for IR temp tool to write my article about MSI faking temperature of GPU and VRM being danagerous HOT!

MSI gaming X original bios micron is stable at +700 if I force P2 state and use afterburner to limit click to +1700 Mhz!

12. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    so I have finally done some testing after bios upgrade. The card is now working perfectly while benching with oc. was able to push +100/+400 on core/mem respectively. No failures in 3dmark. So I guess it did have an issue with oc.

13. timoat

timoat Guest

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 1070 (Micr
    Could you elaborate on this?

14. nattefrost

nattefrost Guest

GPU:
    gtx 660
    Was it officially confirmed that galax doesn't use micron? Also is the 1060 affected by this bug? I have galaxy 660 in need for an upgrade.

15. Njord

Njord Guest

GPU:
    r9 290 / GTX 1070
    Unable to run MSI GTX1070 Aero OC at stock settings

I am unable to run my cards, MSI GTX1070 Aero OC at stock settings. When I try the graphics driver crash when windows start and artifacts with small squares fills the screen.

When I chose to run the GPU memory on 286MHz below stock settings, 7722 MHz, everything seams to work, at least so fare.

How is it possible that cards with this kind of error is not detected before the cards is released to the market?

16. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    Poor QC, they probs test one or two of every batch lol

same with thememory with my msi card they cheaped out by just over clocking the ram from 1250 to 1500 cheaper than buying the real 1500mhz ram, build a good card but cut corners with the ram :/ gotta save somewhere I guess :/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  17. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    been getting 9294 mhz on memory..while gaming running at 5760x1080
    thats 9294/2=4647
    [dont know how to post screenshot here..Galax HOF cards are quality and using samsung...]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  18. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    What evidence do you have for that?

19. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    the HOF cards also use unique voltage controllers

20. Njord

Njord Guest

GPU:
    r9 290 / GTX 1070
    Not in my case. My MSI GTX 1070 Aero OC fails when Windows starts without being overclocked at all. The drive routine crashes and the screen is filled with a pattern of small squares. After the drive routine restarts everything works as normal. This happen despite that I have increased the Core voltage and Power limit to maximum in Afterburner.