Manufacturers roll out firmware updates for GeForce GTX 1070 due to memory Issue

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    GPU-Z says Samsung chips. Cool :D

2. bjoswald

bjoswald Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD 630
    This kind of **** is what keeps me from throwing money down for better cards. I'd rather settle with a 1050/60 than pay for a card that doesn't work right.

3. DRSEire

DRSEire Guest

GPU:
    1070sli
    Same here.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's irritating that this slipped through QA yes. But come on now ... 2 clicks in windows on an exe and 10 seconds + a reboot later it's fixed. How many times did you update your motherboard BIOS. It is not very different.

5. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    The way I've read it is that the problem is not Nvidia's fault - the problem is 3rd party vendors using different chips such as Micron.

BIOS updates on graphic cards are common place today and it's no different than updating the BIOS on your Motherboard and shouldn't be seen as something different.

Same goes with firmware updates on mice, keyboards, headphones etc...

6. Badelhas

Badelhas Active Member

GPU:
    Gtx670
    My inno3d ichill x3 flickers some lines when I'm on the welcome and lock screen. This happens since the beginning

7. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    Well, I've noticed the same problem with the GTX 1060 from MSI (6GB version) especially when I was on Origin interface but apparently after I've installed the new drivers the problem disappeared...so far.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I sense a big coming headache for Nvidia and their partners over this. As I mentioned, anyone having any issue whatsoever with the micron 1070, even if unrelated to it, will be questioning things. There will likely be a rise in RMAs, whether justified or not

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    [​IMG]

10. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    Why are you Nvidia fan boys not freaking out like all those that complained about the RX480 power issues. which I have owned several and never had an issue with a RX480. but then again I do not use crappy Dell motherboards...

This seems like a much bigger issue than the RX480 thing, its amazing how Nvidia tries to slam AMD but you do not see AMD slamming Nvidia for there blunders... AMD has more respect because Nvidia thinks it is always Top Dog they are arrogant.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    ^ Pot stirrer be gone. I recall criticism of the 480 power issue was technically based, not 'fanboyism' based like what you seem to be trying to do here. If you have any technical points to discuss about this issue, lets hear it. Not whining about Nvidia vs AMD 'respect' or Top Dog arrogance or Nvidia "fan boys".

12. KayserKay

KayserKay Member

GPU:
    Palit Super JS GTX 1070
    LOL! The Bios update unlocks the MASTER MODE for me! Was locked before.
    I am an overclocker now!:banana::stewpid:

[​IMG]

13. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    So the manufacturers chose Micron memory instead of Samsung, probably because they are like 2 cents cheaper, but it's the fault of arrogant Nvidia. People from the internets have amused me once again :D

14. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    That's probably because FE cards are still being produced, where-as first-batch cards don't have this problem.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I dont think they could choose Micron mem without Nvidias approval. Its too critical a component for NV to allow them do that. NV may have not done enough testing on it to distinguish its peculiarities vs Samsung and what bios re-adjustments may be required for its optimal performance, so it may have caught them by surprise just as well. Remember that Nvidia were the ones who acknowledged the problem and stated they were working on a bios base to be distributed to their partners who could then adjust them further for their needs.

16. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    bravo nvidia.. bravoo

17. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    Is this exclusively to GTX1070s? all GTX1080 dont have this problem?

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I always look forward to your expert analysis.

1080 uses a different type of memory, GDDR5x which is also supplied by Micron but isn't effected by this. 1070 FE editions use Samsung - I guess board partners started with Samsung, but eventually started switching some custom designs to Micron.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  19. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I am the guy who discovered the bug and started the thread on the nvidia.com forum that got nvidia to agree to work with the partners to release the bios update.

The Original article is not quite accurate. The problem is not in the ram itself, it is in the the speed of the voltage adjustment from the low power idle P-States to support the memory voltage requirements under load. If you can keep the idle voltage above 0.800V before you apply the overclock you never see the issue.

I dont understand why some AIBs are trying to be cagey about this issue. The only Samsung memory boards that I am aware of were all manufactured before 30 June 2016 and have bios versions 86.04.1e.00.XX. Manufacture of the Micron boards started on 1 July 2016 with a different bios version in the 86.04.26.00.XX range.

I have no knowledge of any 1070 cards with Samsung memory being manufactured since June.

What makes me wonder though, is that no professional reviews of GTX 1070 cards, anywhere in the English language media, has been done with a Micron card.

The one review I have seen written with a Micron card was a KAF2 review written in German overclocking website and the author reviewed the memory overclock by telling readers that the memory was fast enough already so he didn't try overclocking the RAM.

If you put that together with had the "special reviewer bios" scandal story, It does give you food for thought doesn't it?

I will add here that in spite of both MSI and ASUS promising to supply the overclocked review 1070 bioses to the public, they will not provide the extra overclocked 1070 bios to owners of Micron cards.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  20. Scorpio82Co

Scorpio82Co Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 8GB