Mafia 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 6, 2012.

1. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    As far as you guys know, is anybody working on some kind of retexture project?

2. kaneos

kaneos Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 1080 TI
    Too much work i think ^^
    Besides i don't know if Mafia 3 allow to mod as easily than Mafia 2

3. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Well, not a complete retexture, just some of them, which look really really ugly. :)

I think modding is allowed, after all it's an heavily modified version of the Mafia II engine.

4. Equinoxe

Equinoxe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Have you guys been getting any crashes?

I can't play Mafia 3 without crashing every time. It crashes either 3 times in a row or it crashes after 20 mins or after 1 hour. BUT IT ALWAYS CRASHES.

Tried everything. Reinstalling, veryfying, underclocking my GPU by 100mhz..

Its a disgrace...

5. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Tried underclocking the cpu/ram? This game definitely overheats every component.

6. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    this game fries my gpu, gpu temp is at 73 c while playing, i've never seen a game that heats up the gpu as much, plus i started to feel bored from the repetitive mission structure after a while, go take this car, then drive this car to the scrap yard, go back take another car, drive it to the scrap yard, i cannot say how atrocious the AI is...

7. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    73 degrees are too much, did you create a custom fan profile with Afterburner? My 980ti doesn't go past 62 degrees, even with the most demanding games, such as Mafia 3, still I get visual artifacts with current frequencies.

Regarding the missions, yes, they are repetitive, the solution is playing little by little and not rushing till the endgame. Besides sidemissions can also be skipped, you can do those which allow you to go through the main story and that's it.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I had three crashes with the game.
    Each time I had been using SweetFX to try and counter the game's blur.

Since I stopped using SweetFX I've had zero crashes.

9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    any fix for the gpu high temps in this game? yeah thats it im done with this game, only game to fry my gpu, not playing anymore, just another incentive XD, gpu temp never goes past 55 c in gta v.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  10. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Not sure what you expect it is rendering wise more advanced and less faky.

I wonder how you gonna react if you see the same in the New Red Dead or GTA 6 from Rockstar as well ;)

GTA 5 was developed with the PS3 in Mind Mafia 3 certainly not.

And the trend is clearly trying to push more studio work time onto the client machine lowering developing costs pushing it to the customer.

Especially for Huge Open World titles production cost efficiency needs to be improved no easy task while maintaining visual fidelity.

Btw tcase of 73 is pretty safe for the GPU itself especially if you that kind of user that changes his GPU every other year no problem ;)

Im running the GTX 970 (GM204) constantly at ~80 since 2014 now and that with a bios that was hold up by reviewers for being deadly and made a big wave back then ;)

And you got a much more expensive card then me ;)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016

11. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i dont think 73c for long period is good for this gpu, mafia 3 is the only game as i said that fries the gpu, all other games including bf1 beta didnt do this.

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    73c is really not that hot.
    Specially with newer cards. They are built to withstand higher temperatures for longer periods.

Yes, lower is always better. But, 73c isn't going to damage your card unless there are other problems. 90c and up is a range to start worrying in. 80c is okay, 70c and lower is great.
    Yes, my 970 doesn't get that high. Hell, in Mafia III highest I've seen mine was at mid 60s. And that was after playing for around three hours.

But yes, older, less demanding games won't push hardware the same as certain newer titles.
    I can run the original SW and temps on my hardware run much lower then they do in SW2. Even though it's the same engine, only updated.

13. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    could be the case yes, but anyway i found some kind of incentive to stop playing this game XD, as i was feeling that the missions were really dragging after 6 hrs of play, lost interest from the repetitiveness to be honest.

14. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    My 980 runs at 79-83c at full power and has been for years. Fan profile set correctly and power at 100%, however it's pretty overclocked.

73c is quite ok. You have nothing to worry about at all.

Mafia 3 is a big disappointment, but it can be fun and engaging at times. I especially like the story and sequences, however the gameplay is getting a bit repetitive. I would recommend getting it on a steep sale for any Mafia/GTA fans. It's still worth playing but I wouldn't recommend full price.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I'm at 27 hours, and really enjoying it.
    Yes, the side stuff you do to trigger the main missions can get repetitive. But, no more then side stuff in Assassin Creed titles...

And, personally, I'm enjoying this much more then I did MGSV. Which that game bored me to hell and I felt it was horribly repetitive.
    While the stealth was great, the sixth time I was told to go to the same base to rescue captured soldiers... meh
    And the game did that multiple times with many bases.

While Mafia III features the same style of quests, at least they are in different locations. And the different districts all have a unique look and feel to them. To each his own, and I can see why some don't like it... but, I feel I'm getting my monies worth.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    it's great that you are enjoying the game that much, in fact it's a tried and tested formula, the stealth is the best thing about this game, entering warehouses unnoticed and doing ur killing job, yes, but doing it over and over with a atrocious AI as it is even on hard difficulty, for me i couldn;t take that anymore, felt tedious and boring and i feel i'm wasting time while i could play for example quantum break or shadow warrior 2 instead.

17. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    For me this repetitiveness would be a indication more of procedural generated stuff seeing that from Humans always brings up a bitter taste of production resource time and or manpower limits "savings".

Reuse Script X @ place Y ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I think the repetitive nature of the missions, the "breaking down of the mods rackets"... stems from them not fully knowing what to do with an open world game.

The story, is fantastic. Writing... blah, blah... I've gone over that.
    And the story missions... are great. Diverse, engaging, interesting, well scripted and executed.
    It's a matter of keeping that momentum going in between those story beats.

Bringing in 2K Czech to help shows in story and that aspect, and it could also show in the open world setup... as they've never done a real "open world" game.
    Mafia 1 and 2, were linear, "level to level" games masked by an open world backdrop.
    Filling in the world around the missions has proved to be the "problem" for most people here.

Personally, while yes you are just going from location to location to kill people... it's varied enough in the small details that keeps it fun for me.
    It's the same basic mission. But, there's small amounts of freedom to be found. Stealth in, quiet... take over.
    Go in guns blazing. Call in one one of Vito's hit squads and let them clean it out. Then, are you killing a target, interrogating a target... destroying items, stealing supplies... they are not huge, immensely diverse missions.
    Yes, at their core they are all the same thing... but small variations make them different enough to stage off tedium. At least for me.

But, again, I feel their attempts to make the game full open world got in their way. They wanted to give the player stuff to do, make use of the map. But, didn't know really how to do it.
    At least, for me personally, they didn't go the GTA way and add pointless fluff that's just a waste. I don't want to go play darts or bowling. ;)

19. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    I think this game is everything about what Mafia II was supposed to be but unfortunately in the end they couldn't make it, maybe for technical limitations or simply for lack of time (Mafia II development took years). So I am pretty satisfied about this third episode. All things that matters to me are pretty solid, maybe they should have created more AI routines for pedestrians, on that aspect Watch Dogs remains unmatched.

20. Asisvenia

Asisvenia Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680 Lightning
    If anybody played Godfather II before he or she easily may notice that Mafia III based exactly Godfather II's formula. There are so much repetitive missions out there and physics, environment interaction especially for the our own car I can absolutely say developers made terrible job about that! What a shame!

In recent years developers making really bad jobs for the physics. I also saw that on the Gta V and it was has sucks physics, driving (damage models) also Gta V was really bad about story-characters.

Next time I want to physics like in the HL2-Gta IV. If devs still focus on graphics, I don't think we can get these physics..