Forza Horizon 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Split/Second was 30 fps but quite enjoyable considering and controls felt responsive enough.
    For alot of people, 30 fps is just not fun. 99% of the time I don't like it.
    PURE was 30 fps as well but controls felt sluggish because of it.
    Even at 3440x1440 @ 80hz, 30fps just doesnt feel right in PURE.

2. deets75

deets75 Guest

didnt pure have some weird trick, turn off v sync in game and turn on via the drivers? i might load it up later...

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The people who buy and pre order the games are the ones keeping PC gaming alive, and I thank them for that as im a bit more cheap so I won't .
    They are the ones that have convinced developers take notice of the platform again, so ignore the ones who consider you an enabler, as they deep down want the platform to eventually die so at the very least get worse as the enjoy the complaining.

If people are happy with 1080/30 or 4k/30 or low settings and 60+ fps then is their own choice.
    What you spend your money on is also your own business.

At the end of the day, your enjoying yourself and they are not and I think it drives them mad.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  4. andressergio

andressergio Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1080Ti HOF SLI
    it's nonsense that FORZA HORIZON 3 has support for 3440x1440 21:9 and FORZA APEX 6 no...can't believe this

and that fix around don't work for me, the one that puts it on 2560x1080. I have an ACER PREDATOR X34 3440x1440 :(

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    ^^^ This.

That is why I've opted for a 30 fps cap. The game controls and runs consistently at that framerate. The superb motion blur and 33ms controller response means the game just feels better for me personally than one where the controller response and movement is not locked at 60 fps (that's with all AA turned off as well!). While the stuttering is fixed now, this game still has a subtle but bizarre slowing down/speeding up effect when playing with a wavering 35-60 fps framerate on my system that is completely offputting.

I do not think Turn 10 will ever bother to optimise this game properly as the engine is written for a console and clearly intended for 30 fps (allowing for twice the detail of the sister Forza Motorsport franchise in an open world environment). As I said earlier, I get the same framerate +/- 1-2 fps with 60 fps set in the options at 4K Ultra MSAAx8 + FXAA as I do 2560x1440 Ultra with no AA. Even lowering the settings to High with no AA at 2560x1440 still does not give me a locked 60 fps.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ah yes I meant this split/second, wasn't one or two NFS also locked at 30fps, now that I think of it NFS at 30fps played & looked more painful then split/second :grin:

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    NFS Pro Street was locked to 30 fps in the patch.
    Vanilla ran uncapped by had weird physics glitches for some users above 30fps. So they capped it. Which didnt hurt the game considering. I still played it alot
    NFS The Run was capped at 30fps as well on launch,but patched to be 60fps if using in game vysnc. and another one was as well after launch. Might have been Most Wanted 2012 or Rivals.
    Vanilla ran uncapped by had weird physics glitches for some users above 30fps. So they capped it. Which didnt hurt the game considering. I still played it alot.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    You're right, I really don't like 30fps and I don't like stutter either. Actually, now that I have thisd 144Hz screen I don't like anything below 80fps either (depends on how G-sync works with that specific title).

The difference between 30 and 60 fps is MASSIVE, at least for me :)
    30fps - St-t-t-t-t-t-utter
    60fps - Smmmmoother
    120fps - Like butter

I'm sorry but I think you'll have a hard time to induce most PC players to accept that statement. If you cant see the difference between 30 and 60fps then may it be so, but in reality it's there...100%.

I also don't like stutter and when there's something wrong with G-sync then I must find out what it is before I can resume playing. But in this particular case with Forza 3 it seems like you're forced to play at 30fps or have stuttering. Well, since I don't want either, I prefer to skip the game altogether.

Console players are forced to 30fps simply since the consoles are pieces of weak hardware but with big ambitions. PC players have the luxury to choose a target FPS based on how much money they want to spend on high-end hardware. But when the game limits you, no matter what hardware you have, then it's simply not fair! And this behavior should not be endorsed, don't you agree?

Sure, some people may be a bit too nit-picky but it should still be their choice.

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Netherwind this game has very good motion blur and as it was targeting 30FPS from the start it does a very good job of being responsive and delivers a acceptable sense of speed.

Now would a 60FPS stable be better? Hell yes.

Is 30FPS lock in the game a stuttering mess? No

10. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    there's stuttering even after the update

11. deets75

deets75 Guest

I think you sum it up well, you paid out a lot of money for your kit and get upset if you cant show it off.

I dont disagree, I think the direction of PC gaming has gone more towards making it an elite club for people to obsesses about how much better their stuff is rather than playing games and enjoying them.

and I dont ever think I said 60fps is not preferable, I just made it clear that, crazily it seems, you can still enjoy a game at 30fps.

forza is a great example, would I prefer it to run at 60fps? yes.

will I not enjoy it because it doesn't, no.

I am enjoying it immensely, my partner is even enjoying it as well. its a truly fantastic game and thats kinda what this is supposed to be about.

anyway, im not going to even try and change anyones minds, folk have strong views about 60fps and they will literally miss out on a lot fun for that cause so my input isnt going to make any difference :)

12. deets75

deets75 Guest

at 30fps and with frame smoothing, I have seen about 2 or 3 frame drops in hours and hours of playing.

13. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

I have same gfx card as you, these are the settings I use to get 60 FPS Locked.
    Full Screen > ON
    Frame Rate > 60
    V-Sync > ON
    Motion Blur > OFF
    Resolution > 4096 x 2160
    Subtitles > OFF
    Show FPS > ON
    Framerate Smoothing > ON
    User Interface Scale > 30
    Dynamic Optimization > On
    Dynamic Render Quality > High

If I go to the advance menu, it will turn off dynamic optimization but this is how it is listed.
    Preset > High
    AF > 4x
    Shadow Quality > High
    Motion Blur Quality > High
    Environment Texture Quality > High
    Static Geometry > Medium
    Dynamic Geometry > High
    MSAA x4
    FXAA > Off
    Reflection quality > High
    Windshield reflection quality > High (This is the best windshield quality I have ever seen even at high.)
    Mirror Quality > High
    World Car LOD > High

The above settings give me 60fps locked even in rainforest and city (which kills the card -10fps in Ultra to above 50fps mostly maintaining at 54fps in rainforest,) with a slight stuttering here and there when you need to dodge incoming cars/traffic only visible in Ultra mode.

14. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    The patch lowered my CPU usage. It was hitting 100% on all 6 cores before but now does not. It also plays even smoother with absolutely no hitches or stuttering anywhere.

I have kept almost all of my cars stock except for the '53 Corvette where one has only a different camshaft and brakes. The top speed increased from 105 to 115 on that one. The other one has the engine swap to the more powerful 6cyl and also has upgraded brakes. that one will do 148mph. I left both with the 2 speed transmission. My '57 Chevy BelAir is stock with the black with a white top paint job. It looks just like the first car I ever had back in 1966. It's faster though since it has the V8 engine and mine was the 6. My car also would burn a quart of oil every 50 miles so I kept a gallon can in the trunk. When I took off from a light, I couldn't see the car behind me in my mirror because of all the smoke :). I only paid $130 for the car and traded it in about a year later for the same amount because the body was excellent and that's what the dealer wanted.

I have uploaded a few of my designs under my Gamertag of LukewarmWheels if anyone would be interested. One is the '53 Vette, one is the BMW M4, and another is the Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec, and the last one is the Honda Civic. I tend to favor the brushed bronze paintjob.

The only complaint I have is that online play requires IPv6 connectivity. I do not have that since my ISP does not offer it and even if it did, my router does not support it. I don't understand why they require IPv6 when a good portion of the world still doesn't have it. I can't join Forzathon because of it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  15. deets75

deets75 Guest

what happens, you cant even find an online session to join or it wont let you conenct?

edit: and whats your network status in the xbox app under settings

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2016

16. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    You don't need ipv6. There is a built-in converter in windows (teredo). Open the xbox app, go to the settings/network and look at the line saying "Teredo address". If there is a problem, there will be a link to a document there to fix it. Read that document then you'll be able to play online just fine.

17. deets75

deets75 Guest

I was getting a DNS error for some reason and it was only fixed after I manually updated my network card drivers, windows ones were 2015 and there was a 2016 version on the realtek site.

didnt get the detailed error message before the patch

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    And Im going to laugh when MS take down the servers for this and then either dont provide an offline patch or release the game on a new MS platform that requires people who own this version to re-buy it again under the guise of a "remaster". A remaster which will probably be released with the Xbox scorpio as a 4k version that will get ported to the pc with some "enhancements".

All that complaining when Tales of Symphonia was released a few months back and only supported 30fps..everyone one was like "No buy! lazy developers! When will they learn" Bargin Bin!".

Now a $60 game gets released and even a gtx1080 cant do 60fps, but thats ok, even though pc gamers laughed at DriveClub for is 30fps compared to Assetto and PCars, you dont need 60fps in a racing game on pc anymore, thats just #MasterRace. Maximum lol.

19. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

There is a nite and day difference between 30 fps and 60 fps. It is real, but it is something any good gamer half his salt could endure with. That being said tho, I can play Forza at 8k 30fps locked or 4k 60 fps locked. I choose the lower resolution. There is much more noticeable just.. LAG OR SOMETHING lol at 30 fps. The game feels slower, your reaction time to everything you could just DO at 60 fps is gone.. I can't do it. Even if the game looks way way better! Believe me, I have done the whole gambit of; "what frames constitute the best playing experience for me" and although I cannot speak for you, I cant play any racer or Fps AS WELL as anything locked into AT LEAST 60fps. I can play pretty decent at 50 fps, but theres even a big difference between those two. I like to be way above 60fps only due to the fact if the game runs at 100+ fps, and I am dipping low to under my 60 fps threshold, I know something is wrong with something..

20. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

This last part of your rant is rather asinine about the whole GTX 1080 thing. Same thing happened with Crysis 1, Crysis 2 which was much more ompitmized then Crysis 1 and Crysis 3 destoryed video cards and was very Ompitimized.

But I do totally agree with this hypocrisy with people.
    30 fps is not acceptable at all. Its one thing if your system can manage 30fps @ 4k vs people purposely restricting themselves to 30fps. Thats about as bad as a dev capping the game at 30fps.