Mafia 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    No, I don't.
    I would only admit such a thing if I personally was not enjoying the game.
    I fully agree that a great story does not make a game good. But, I've also said I'm enjoying the gameplay.

I like the combat, the driving is fun. The world is fantastic and wonderfully crafted and interesting to explore.

I don't "need" to admit anything other then what I've already said about the game.
    I think rather, you need to accept that regardless of what you think, or what Angry Joe's video told you... people do like this game. And I'm one of them.
    And it's not just because of a great story or great music.

2. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I think pretty much everyone agrees the game has great voice work, story and atmosphere, it's just everything else that's the problem. They tried to make a 10 hour game into a 40 hour one because people complained about Mafia II's length (which was perfect IMO). If they had aimed for a really solid 15 hour campaign the game would have been miles better, all the saved development time could have been spent on the AI and overall polish but some cretins have to whine if they don't get 40 hours out of their purchase and this is what we get.

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Whats with the personal insults? Butthurt or something....?

And you're talking crap. Subjectivity exists but when something's turd it's turd.

Or you going to tell me a poo isnt a poo? Subjectively speaking....? Get real idiot brain. Seriously what utter twaddle.

So ok you going to tell me a film like the latest ghostbusters isnt crap? (just a random example). What's with the level of fail in this thread...some fanboys cant deal with it? How childish.

p.s no more mr.nice guy in this thread next guy takes a pop i'll tear you a new one as well.

So wait according to you because everything is more or less subjective you cant say something is rubbish? Have heard this old fail argument before...think it was tried before. (and failed)

This game is turd/average. Get over the butthurt, grow the feck up.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Updated with well I guess there will be patch notes soon, 1.2 GB download. :)
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/360430/discussions/0/341537388325674344/

EDIT: Something vague about stability improvements and possibly improving the games fairly blurry visual quality going by some tweets before it hit but now that it's out there will hopefully be more complete patch notes soon.

EDIT: Well...
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/360430/announcements/detail/814414949508697159

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016

5. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    The game is turd.
    Period!

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    New patch is pretty good.
    Performance seems slightly better, more consistent frame rates.

And, you only get a blurry image if you use AA on High. Making full use of their TAA. Dropping it to Medium or Low removes the blur all together. Making for a much crisper, cleaner looking image.

:) Very happy.
    There's still a few odd graphical issues and ghosting effects most likely related to a shader issue. And, I still hope for some more options to adjust the UI...
    But, nice to see two good updates out within the first week.

7. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    This game really does look like crap even on max settings. I think sometimes it looks worse than Mafia 2.

There is no reason in 2016 this game should look like this.

8. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    If they didn't get ghosting visually under control for release don't expect any improvement so soon ;)

Ghosting Avoidance in a Temporal AA solution is no easy task and it's best done on the whole Engine layer with the complete Production Workflow in mind.

It's more advanced on the Engine GFX Core the simulation part and details where definitely much better in Mafia 2 :)

The blurrieness is a side effect it's like TXAA a very Filmic (CGI) AA result totally over quantized losing every detail not only in motion they now fixed that being less aggressive which lets you suspect it was mainly tuned for 3m Viewing distance (TV) in the first place ;)

Textures and Normal Maps need a update fast for PC ;)

2k should get the Nba2k Team into the boat here they do excellent work on this side under 2Ks Brand :)

Thinking PC Gamers gonna accept such results is crazy especially for a developer sitting not 3m away but right in front of his not cheap Color Graded PC Monitor.

No chance vs Ubisoft with such a Workflow ;)

Volumetrics really become a problem at low resolutions the additional blur mostly only hurts the visual feeling especialy when they get overused so extremely

Fallout 4 and Mafia 3 are best examples for extreme unpleasant to the eyes over usage of Volumetric Effects.

you have Motion Blur AA and the Volumetric Blur that is way to much with a internal low render resolution additionally.

And at best some Designer puts Chromatic Aberration for showing his awesomeness on top of all :D

So yeah end result every High Frequency successfully killed and we calling that Filimic :D

9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    yeah this game graphically as it was said by many here are extremely outdated for a 2016 game, unacceptable by any means, i tried high or low no difference its just that the lighting and the color palette are simply washed out muddy as it can get, during the night the game looks better than during the day.

10. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Depends on what you understand of outdated for a Open World Simulation like Game :D

Now please don't count The Witcher 3 it is highly handwork from the lighting view extremely pre baked ;)

GTA 6 might look very similar in the same direction only much more care will be taken upon it's transition ;)

11. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    The game it have a weak graphic, but that is not the worst thinks, the worst are:
    1. A game that comes out with a 30 FPS cap .................. ok a quick fix....
    2. Not working on Intel/AMD CPUs without SSE 4.1/4.2 support- it'll crash at startup, still no fix ........ wtf (a q6600 @ 3.2 Mhz and 8 GB ram and a nvidia 1060 plays witcher 3 at high quality over 40 FPS on 1080P and mafia III does not start.... (needed to play the game on another PC)....
    3. No optimization.....
    Only after that we ca talk about the rest, if the last is normal on many games that are ported the first 2 are a killer ......., 1 is fixed but 2 still not fixed........
    Maybe the most weak release of this year !!

12. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    How is the FPS with new update?

13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You want the latest gfx but dont want to use the latest hardware?

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Mafia 3 is hardly the latest in the graphics department though. I'd take the 6 year old Mafia 2 over it any day. And it's insulting to even think of comparing it to 1.5 year old PC release of GTA V (which you can bet runs better on his PC as well).

15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i run into stutter while driving around corners or approaching an intersection, clearly the game isnt optimized, its 60 fps but there is stutter while driving, this compared to gta V which runs miles better.

16. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    The question should be rather do you really need the latest hardware if you smart enough for certain Engine Subsystems ;)
    Of course if you rely heavily on 3rd Party Middleware you are bound to certain restrictions ;)

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It seems mostly the same as before, it runs a little smoother and I've seen FPS just slightly higher then before.
    It still needs more work to get performance to where it should be. But, it's nice to see that they've already pushed out two patches in less then a week.

And, on their twitter they've commented that more updates are coming.

Are you using the 60fps cap or did you set to unlimited?
    I haven't seen any stutter at corners playing on Unlimited FPS with v-sync off.

And yeah, GTAV does run much, much better. But, it did take Rockstar some time to get to that point.
    I can easily remember absolutely hating GTA4 and LA Noire on PC. With performance and stability issues a plenty.

Even with it's 30fps cap, Mafia III was nowhere near as sluggish as LA Noire was at release.

18. Asisvenia

Asisvenia Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680 Lightning
    Are there anybody played that game with GTX 680 ? Mine is running on 1240mhz gpu / 6.2ghz memory. I hope 680/ i7 2700k 4.5ghz won't be problem for that game.

When I played that game, I'll post here results.

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You put a GTX1060 in a Q6600 system? In any case, your argument is invalid. Anything remotely optimised would use SSE 4.x, and utilise AVX/AVX2 if somewhat optimised. Remember quite often new instructions supersede old ones, so by supporting the older instructions it's extra code complexity and wasted effort all for a small number of people with hardware that can't handle the game anyway. You can't compare Witcher 3 to this game, completely different environment. GTA V you can, but I doubt you could play that with high graphics settings. I think expectations is a big drawback, but I'm sure things will improve with patches and mod packs. Turn off game antialiasing as that is broken, and try Reshade.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2016
  20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    ok i will try unlimited fps to see.