Review: Gears of War 4 DirectX12 PC graphics performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 10, 2016.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Great review Boss!.....Hey my old 960 looks good @1080 too!

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    shame there is no factory OC'ed 980TI @ 1400mhz+ bitch :D flies and probably gets really close to that gtx1080.

I know it does in dx12 RoTR, while 1070 is left behind even when max OC'ed @2GHz ~118fps vs 980ti @1420mhz ~129fps vs 1080gtx ~132fps

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I don't think the game even supports DirectX 11 (Windows 10 only "UWP" game exclusive on the Win10 Store.) but I could be wrong. :)

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Good God man, having a rough day or something ? This is no longer a DX11 title, hence it cannot even be tested at DX11, only DX12.

As far as CPU choices go, that has been perfectly explained in this thread already, however I have two things on the slate today, see if I can get FCAT going and include them and try to load up the game on an 8-core AMD FX platform and pray the license still kicks in and isn't revoked. Contrary to another website, we actually do buy the an original license opposed to using cracks and thus pay in full. Since that is coming out of my own pocket I am not planning to purchase licenses for each PC we test on.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    At least that's a bit easier with these digital distribution clients, just sign in on the Win10 store with the same MS account that the game is registered to and it should be there. :)
    (Similar to Steam, Origin or UPlay really but - at least so far - without the extra DRM some games have that only allow I think in Denuvo's case the general is 5 activations per 24 hours or some such?)

As for monitoring tools no idea how compatible those are with both the UWP "app" nature of these Win10 store games or the new method used where the files and folders are encrypted by the OS itself via EFS so it can't be tampered with but perhaps there is a way outside of the game itself having the needed overlay support. :)
    (Also uses some anti tamper DRM called Arxlan which I can find almost no info on aside from it's recent use in Mafia 3 and it's older use in GTA V)

EDIT: Though the exe at least and other files would be decrypted in memory which is why there's working Cheat-Engine scripts and trainers for Win10 Store games so perhaps that could be used by other software too as to hook into them for various purposes.
    (Not my area of expertise at all though so I'm mainly guessing here going by what I've seen and read.)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I think Doom 4 did that.

7. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I want GoW 4 although £50 is a bit much, guess i'll wait for it to go on sale :/

Sold my two 970's then gave up gaming on PC for a while, few weeks back looking through Gumtree to see how much people are selling their Graphics card/s for and was surprised to find an MSI R9 390X Gaming for £160!

it's less than 1 year old, i ended up buying it, seemed (and still does) a massive bargain for the money.

The chap i bought the card from had upgraded to the Titan X 12gb.

8. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    You're right. Sorry about the rambling.
    It's just that most reviews tend to focus on beasts, and having a big tittle reviewed on normal computers would really be appreciated.
    Heck, I'm sure that people that are thinking on getting an APU would like to know how well they would fair, specially now that the latest AMD APUs are looking good for stuff that usually didn't fare well at all on them. Personally I can't wait to see how future Zen APUs fair in general.

I'm curious about the fact that you use a normal licence. It's sad that DRM crippled titles don't at least have special versions for reviewers.

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ like said before this is a graphics (GPU) benchmark hence Guru3D uses a powerful CPU to take CPU bottlenecking out of the equation as much as possible, as they should.

Granted I too would like to know the results with different/weaker CPUs but then that would be a CPU scaling benchmark or such.
    However you can see the CPU usage chart in the review so you can extrapolate a bit from there:

[​IMG]

In the review they get 16 % total CPU usage with 16 cores.
    Estimating that'd equate to around 64 % with 4 cores (assuming similar IPC and clock speed) shouldn't be too much off the truth.
    Especially when evaluating CPU usage with fewer cores from reference. I think.

Tbh that usage chart is a very helpful addition to VGA benchmarks.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Your posts don't make any sense tbh in relation to each other.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ** article updated with three additional cards and AMD FX 8370 vs Intel Core i7 5960X CPU scaling results.

12. Vlad27145

Vlad27145 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970Ghz
    Thank you for all the work you do!

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Finally a well optimised DX12 game.

14. Tsenng

Tsenng Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080 AMP
    Great review and test of this game!. I have followed the website for a long time but this is my first post.

The game runs like a beast on my 980TI@1080p only though but with a G-sync monitor. It is supersmooth.

And to some of you thinking about the steep price of the game..i went and got the ultimate edition at 89.99$ crazy enough but so far it is a superb game!.

Keep up the good reviews of hardware and games :)

15. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    $90 for a gears game?, jesus after the first game I wouldn´t pay $20.

16. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    +1 :thumbup:

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Is this a mirage? An UWP game that's actually optimized? Finally!

Well suck on that Quantum Break and to some extent, Forza 3.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Epic was at the forefront of DX12 development so this does surprise me much.

Do you do anything but complain about the cost of things?

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You have Play Anywhere! As long as you have it tied to an Xbox/Microsoft account, you can run it on any amount of machines out there!(Only 1 instance can be run of course). Horray Play Anywhere! Something Microsoft got right!

20. Warboy

Warboy Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 2080 Ti
    Hilbert, is this working off minimal fps or avg? didn't find clarification in the article.