Mafia 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 6, 2012.

1. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    the 60fps seems to speed up the weather & time of day a lot

2. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i guess for my own review, maybe i've played too many games like this one that it personally feels to me as generic.
    graphics look so washed out that i don't have this itch to play it, the color palette looks atrocious to me.
    gameplay feels generic, or maybe it's me growin up and not enjoying anymore these types of games.
    the story i would say is good, not bad.
    last thing, 30 fps cap is ok for me, i have no stuttering, game runs smoothly even when driving fast, motion blur is definitely the pic ofthe bunch here.
    what do you think guys?

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Okay, if that's how you want to take it... fine. But, that's not what the story is about at all.
    And, even though the project lead is white... there are members of the team that are black.

I don't need to watch a video, I've got 10 hours in the game. Lincoln is a big guy... but, he's not a giant looming over the other characters.
    Hell, I'm 6'6"... I can go to the store and look huge when standing near most other people.

4. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Been playing for the last few hours, average 60 - 80 fps driving around in the day but later at night would drop as low as 45fps, setting shadow quality down to medium helps.

I had one crash to desktop during a loading screen but other than that seems fairly stable and my cards overclocked, the stories good only real issue for me is the colours are a bit washed out like everyone else has been saying but overall it's not as bad as I thought it was gonna be and it's a damn sight better than arkham knight on launch,

I think if they had waited before releasing it and fixed the 30fps lock then it wouldn't be getting as much flak but the 30 fps lock fiasco has soured this game, regardless i'm enjoying it and I imagine with some more patching the things should start to improve.

5. Feed_Bucket

Feed_Bucket Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    As I was winding down my playtime I decided to do some antics before I called it quits.

Punched a cop, stole a card, flipped and wrecked said car.

Then I walked up to some pedestrians, introduced their face to the pavement.
    Noticed I was near water. Picked up unconscious man and walked down to the dock.
    Tossed his body in the water. Saw it floating. Then a GODDAMN GATOR CAME UP AND DRAGGED HIS BODY UNDER! Didn't know that could or would happen.

Enjoying the game so far with what little I have played. Runs smooth maxed at 1080p for me.

Playing on my new 144hz monitor (first time for that). Loving it.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Is there any continuation of the story from Mafia 2? or it's 100% unrelated story?

7. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
  8. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I am getting around 50-55 FPS on maxed out settings at 2560x1440 with v-sync on and the Framerate set to 60. However, I noticed oddities such as the framerate being capped at 56-57 FPS when facing a wall and in the pre-rendered cutscenes. I changed the Framerate setting from 60 to Unlimited, still with v-sync on, and now the game does reach 60 FPS now, although the ave. framerate is still around 52 FPS. Even at that the game still feels much nicer to play than at a locked 30 FPS due to less jerky motion and more responsive controls.

That said, the game still has some weird flashing going on, which I am noticing but I really can't say what it actually is as it is real corner of the eye stuff. Might be glitchy lighting, shadows or textures. I am using the Game-Ready v373.06 driver too, although that really doesn't mean much these days.

I'm enjoying the game far more now I've met Cassandra (this appears to be the first realtime cutscene too based on GPU usage) as I am free to explore and do what I like. Up to that point the game had been frustratingly linear, jumping from one place to another and with more cutscenes than gameplay. Sure, the dialogue is well-written and voice-acted but no-one buys games just to spend most of their time watching.

Do like the visuals; they are nicely detailed although pop in of light sources, cars and people and short detail draw distance are a tad disappointing compared with, say, GTA V which looks and performs better. The music though is absolutely outstanding... my heart literally skipped a beat when I heard Paint It Black, a song I remember hearing as the theme tune to Tour of Duty, a 90s TV series about a platoon of US soldiers in Vietnam.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm getting between 45-50fps most of the time, with some drops to low 40s.

Not exactly smooth camera movement though. Hot mess.

All this at 1440p.

11. kbx1

kbx1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Palit GR
    I have not seen game so ugly for quite some time. It looks totally washed out, color pallete is awful, even goddamn map looks ulgy. Aesthetic sense level 0. I hoped I will be teleported to the beautiful world of New Orleans and the `70s, instead I was teleported to muddy blured version of it. Low res textures, low quality foliage. Im playing it at 2560x1440 but it looks like 720p. Dumbed down driving model, dumb AI... the list go on and on. The only good things are soundtrack, the cutscenes and plot. Game is beyond repair. I think the 30 cap is the last thing on the list you should worry about.

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    That happens when game mechanics (animations, day/night cycle, items wear) are bound to a locked 30 fps game engine. I still remember the fast (double) degradation of weapons in Dark Souls II when Dante's mod allowed to use 60 fps instead of locked 30 fps.

The weather & time changes in this game are a joke even at 30 fps.

After QB and Mafia III patch i think Nvidia has properly labelled his GTX 1080:

A GPU to play 2016 borked game ports to PC at REAL 1080/60. (no upscale, no FPS lock.)

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    god damn this game looks like a hot mess

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The guys is a giant compared to all the other characters he comes across

Im just calling it what it is, a black fantasy made by white men in an attempt to pander to the sjws and a black demographic who feel (and rightly so) left out.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016

16. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
  17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's been heavily advertised that Vito is in Mafia III.
    There are references to his events from the previous game. And other characters talk about Empire Bay at times.

18. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Hold on a minute. Something is not right here. A Titan X shouldn't outperform the other cards like that.

19. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Your opinion is unconnected and not needed, what makes Mafia III's main character different from any other game? Or are you likely to share the same views on other games that feature a black male protagonist?

I've never played any of the previous Mafia games, enjoying this in small bursts as it tends to get quite repetitive. Great storyline...

20. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    got my money back, total ****ing crap.
    is this is modern gaming i'm going to have to find a new hobby