Galaxy Note 7 with updated battery catches fire on plane

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Samsung always had questionable quality as far as I remember, crt tvs with crappy flybacks, my 750s monitor got unusable while my older sharp and pana tvs are still kicking for my retrogaming, my first lcd (samsung) went green, my second had dust under screen. Actually I think it´s Korean quality because LG is crappy too.

2. Thalyn

Thalyn Guest

Maybe it's different in other regions, but the Australian replacements have two indicators on the box. Yes they had the black square, but they also had a second sticker - a round one, a bit over a half-inch across, with a blue "S". Perhaps that's also limited to replacements and not new stock.

The last two of these supposed replacement phones I've seen smouldering have not had this extra sticker when they show the packaging; though at least the square on this one actually looks square.

3. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    guys ! i think sumsung is burning the evidence !

4. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Don't know if this is fast charging issue like Emnity just said, cheap ass made in PRC stock battery or charger fault, lack of quallity control for components inside the phone, design flaw, unadequate cooling for charging unit inside a phone, combination of few mentioned factors or whatever.... Fact is that problems like this with N7 are happening more frequently not just on Samsung phones in past year or two. Smartphone manufacturers are pushing the limits way much faster than curent battery technology can keep up with: "..look how it's faster than previous generation model, faster charging...blah, blah..." ...and as a bonus there is faster battery drain. They need to step up with new battery technology, period. Fck me if I would like to have a everyday smartphone to charge it at the end of each day or once in two days.

I miss good old days 15+ years ago when I had Nokia 5110 paired with 3rd party LiIon battery with higher capacity (1100,1300 or it was 1400mAh, not sure). With one charge battery could last from 7 to 10 days everyday use with few hours of talk EVERY SINGLE DAY! Now that's what I call a matching technology. 10, 15 years later we're using super fast phones with XYZ number of CPU and GPU cores and s*it load of RAM and storage and whatnot ... paired with 5+ years old battery technology, not to mention lack of quallity control for battery production and God knows what else inside the phone with some parts manufactured in almost shed-like fascilities somwhere in rural parts of PRC.

New battery technology or gtfo, or thing like this N7 fiasco are going to get even more common in days that comes.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Now it's starting to get expensive for Samsung.

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Not nearly enough worm for its price tag. It would be better to just throw it in the pond, boil the fish. :rolleyes:

7. baasgene

baasgene Guest

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuf OC
    the reports of iphone 7 catching fire are within normal margin, like 1 in a million. The Note 7 is a different case entirely the two cannot be compared.

There seems to be a serious issue somewhere that Samsung desperately needs to address, this oversight will haunt them for years the cost of the issue almost too high to calculate.

8. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    With my consiracy hat on, this entire story and entire issue seems quite suspicious...

"Green’s Note 7 is in the hands of the Louisville Fire Department’s arson unit for investigation. He has already replaced it with an iPhone 7."

Seriously? And with an iPhone 7 and not a Plus coming from a 5.7in Note 7? ;)

I wonder how long the competition had been planning this.

I'm positive the truth will come out soon or later.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Note 7 is DOA, nothing gonna save it anymore, few people gonna buy it, only those that need really the spen, or don't afraid for it to explode.

They should bring S8 faster but make sure to do all the right tests.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Take the hat off, just a case of very poor QC at Samsung with the original Note 7, and a rushed bodge job with the replacements to get them out in time

11. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Relax there is a new battery tech coming out next year, double capacity and non volatile so if it does fail no more fires.

12. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050

I think your nick says everything. There's nothing on phones (bar heavy gaming and this VR stupidity) requiring such powerfull processor.
    Also you forget big.LITTLE implementation specifics.

Phones are not PCs and\or servers. You don't run multiple SQL servers and video transcoding applications on phones...
    For everyday tasks (and for battery life) - less hungry processors will be more adequate.

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    If they start giving them up for $100 or less, I may get one and keep it as a trinket. :p

14. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    haha i'm actually waiting for Mate 9, if rumors are right, they might nail it even better than 8.

15. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    GTA 5 MOD - Samsung Galaxy Note 7 (Bomb)

https://youtu.be/_GhODn4FRoE

Not surprised this happened. I imagine the recall involved someone just opening up (at most) and looking inside to see if anything was not done right and sending the exact phone back to owner.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Simply moving from an 808 to an 810 is noticeable in everyday tasks as shown by the 5x vs 6P. 820 makes it even better and it actually has a lower TDP than the 810. So not only is the 820 noticeably and measurably faster, it uses less power.

What did I forget about big.little? If anything big.little supports my argument, the entire point is that they ramp up cores if it useful to the workload and power gates them it isn't. Adding more cores doesn't mean more power usage if you have a half decent CPU governor. If anything it means less power, because again - in RTS scenarios you're idling the entire SoC faster then you could if you didn't have the cores.

17. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I agree with SirDremor actually, I my self own the xperiaX performance which has the 820 and as great as it is, I couldnt care less that it had over twice the gpu power than my previous phone which was the Xperia z3. I only got a new phone because my old one was in a bad shape.

18. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Nothing in this post has anything to do with what they were talking about. Nothing.

EDIT: Unrelated tangent

The fact that, on an enthusiast computer hardware forum, there is a ****ing discussion going on about CPUs being too hot and causing batteries to explode...Or CPUs in phones being too fast...for something? I don't even know what the **** point is trying to be made. It all ties back to the first post which posits that the phones are exploding because they use too much power which is completely retarded. It's seriously dumb. The phones experienced a manufacturing defect that is causing the battery to fail. It has nothing at all to do with the ****ing CPUs or the power consumption of the device.

This thread is a showcase of how far down this forum (and most online forums) has gone that I'm sitting here explaining to you the basics of how a freaking smartphone works. It's embarrassing, and it started the moment people started tone policing everything and people who have no clue what they are talking about were no longer being shamed out of threads.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The takeaway is that no one is purposely avoiding the SD820 or Exynos equivalent because they use too much battery.

20. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    well... you're probably right, The Xperia X Performance comes with the 14nm quad core sd820 while the X (non performance) costs a little less and comes with the 28nm hexacore SD650. So you're paying less for more cores but i doubt that the 650 is faster and it probably uses more power. There isn't much benchmarking and reviews done on these mobile chips unfortunately.