CSGO lagging/stuttering

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by godamn2013, Oct 2, 2016.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You're massively exaggerating. The latency added by gsync is not even worth mentioning. Vsync latency (in games that don't implement a low-latency vsync) is **MASSIVE** compared to gsync.

The reason CS:GO benefits from very high frame rates is not due to latency, but due to image clarity. The higher the frame rate, the more stable the image due to less tearing and less micro-stutter. With gsync you don't have that problem to begin with.

And all your settings are doing is make the game look blurry due to upscaling, which makes it more difficult to make out small details. In CS:GO, better visibility is an advantage.

Also, running non-native resolutions adds about the same amount of latency as gsync does. Doing interpolation requires buffering of a few lines of the current scanout before the upscaled result is displayed. But nobody can tell and it doesn't affect anything. That's how low it is.

If you were trying to avoid any latency you would use the native res of your monitor. If you wanted 4:3 without latency, you'd need to have it non-stretched using your native res. On a 1080p monitor, that would be 1440x1080 non-stretched. Anything else and you need scaling, which adds latency.

But you're not doing that. And that means you get extra latency. Yet you think you have avoided any sources of extra latency and that anything else would get you 1-shotted :)

Furthermore, if you watched CS:GO tournaments on Twitch, you sometimes see some professional players sit in front of a monitor that appears to have a weird flicker. That's motion blur reduction. Some pros enable the strobing mode of the monitor to reduce motion blur. That also adds latency, same as gsync or even more actually. They don't get "1-shotted", now do they ;-)

I did some tests where I enabled vsync in the game (yes, VSYNC) at 144Hz, which produces input lag that's way worse than gsync, and guess what? I was playing *almost* just as well. The mouse felt a bit different which messes with muscle memory.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. Schooled. Dayum.

3. godamn2013

godamn2013 Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 4 GB
    very rightly said at @Real. I play at 1024*768 blackbars.....playing at stretched resolutions adds more input lag....could you guys help me out with NV CP settings.....and should i use the new driver 372.90 which I have heard has low latency issues......but i am not sure..
    btw if I try older drivers like 347.88 or 347.52 -will that help

4. SyntaX

SyntaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    @RealNC Thank you for the explanation, would not have the nerve to explain so thoroughly.

5. shimosk

shimosk New Member

ALT TAB resolves

6. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    You still having this issue? mind if i help ya?

7. godamn2013

godamn2013 Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 4 GB
    surely...previous suggestions helped a bit.....

8. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    What a load of ****. it does not add any input lag.

its that stupid myth that keeps being repeated without any basis for it.

it may have been an issue 5-10 years ago, but it's not an issue any longer. all stretching is now being done on GPU, when in old days it was done by monitor

there is zero input delay nowadays because of it

the only input lag you would have is with vsync, or low fps with ancient hardware

If you are really worried about input lag, turn down "frames to render ahead" to 1

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  9. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    From my testing, render frames ahead just adds frame pacing issues even with single card setups... But I'll still play with it at one... Habits. But 3 seems to be the best setting for frame stability.