CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) Tips, Tricks and Monitors OC (LCD/LED/CRT)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 3, 2016.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    OK -> Its your point of view, nothing else :)

Im using for Gaming my tweaks and its OK.
    Sometimes some things not work for every one.

2. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I do not understand all the nastiness here sometimes. Why all the arguing and even name calling. People get over it. Some of us come here and elsewhere to learn things, try things, work out things, heck even to push the known limits.

I get it, trust me I get it. Some people say it works and some say it does not, however I have not seen yet definite proof either way, so it is still a work in progress. The bigger thing I have seen is the pettiness from certain parties and it is "deplorable" but I have not seen these people put up any type of proof that it does not work, and I have seen people working out.

Once again go back a few years to the entire VSR, it was a work in progress that evolved over several months with a number of users contributing to the entire project. AMD during that time stated VSR was not possible on certain GCN cards at all due to hardware requirements. Which we here proved wrong. I got it working on my lowly HD 7770 cards then not that that was actually feasible to use to game in VSR on the HD 7770. Proof of concept. Remember it worked for some and did not work for other back then, but this entire exercise on our part forced AMD to admit it was possible and not actually hardware and make driver changes to allow it.

I was the first to show proof of a "working" vbios crossflash of my R 290X to R9 390 ( day 1 390 releases) as proof of concept then and posted here and at overclock.net which once again got the wonderful thing of worldwide internet collaboration rolling leading to a lot of projects which benefited a lot of people.

Anyway instead of just saying something works or does not work put up the proof that you have actually generated. I am reminded of a line from several movies ( para-phrasing here) "It is not what we think, it is what we can prove"

As it stands now this entire concept is a work in progress. Where it will lead no ones yet knows. I can think of a number of reasons this is just suddenly working based on AMD white pages I linked previously. Even what Raja from AMD said, was called bull***t by a poster here.

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yeah, and some of us are OC/Tweak Dinosaurus !
    I've got 2133MHz DDR3 Working Great in 2000MHz on my Old PhenomII (So anything is possible)
    We can even OC SATAII and SATAIII Ports ! (All you have to do is Tweak PCI-e Bus to 105%)

Freesync is working for me, it really is.
    Frame Times are better, Gaming is Real 'Fluent' now with min. +2-3FPS More.

And Yes, we need to Dig this even further, maby it will give some additional benefit to many of us !
    Thats an Goal for Tweaks/OC etc. to push the limits (not to hard of curse :) )

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    To be honest I don't believe that the monitor is actually changing refresh rates, which is the essence of Freesync.

On the other hand, the frame results (if the methodology is correct), seem to indicate that some sort of pacing mechanism in the driver is activated. Which would benefit everyone, Freesync or not. Since that mechanism is obviously software, I wonder if it could be activated for other cards and not only the ones that list Freesync.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Well, I can attest that it does work, as my frequencies are changing on the fly. My problem is that my monitors do NOT like this behavior and my screen blanks out when the frequencies vary. Thus why my screens blacks out, and comes back, and blacks out again, and comes back again, etc.

Update: I've tightened up the frequency range to 50-60Hz, and it's more stable, however, whenever I encounter a screen change (like opening up a menu), my monitor loses sync and blanks for a sec while it restores sync.

So it looks like FreeSync isn't really a playable option, at least for this game I am trying it with. Perhaps other, newer titles will have better success.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    No its not changing anything, it just have more stable output from GPU->Monitor
    GPU(Driver)->Freesync->DP/HDMI (Bandtwith)->Monitor

IMO Freesync is just a new way to communicate between GPU->Monitor (This Tek is known from a long time, earlier called Corrected Frame Sync)

It not need special Hardware, but it needs Higher Bandtwith (thats why DP or New HDMI is better for this)

We need to dig it :grad:

Also Bratan' look into My FLA tests (Yes you asked for this, so i figured it out how to make FRAPS Working for WinX ;-))
    And it seems that Frame Times are tighten and whenever i tested (in many Games) FreeSync ON V-Sync OFF is always Better in any Game ! DX9/10 DX11 and DX11.1 also in Vulcan (not Tested DX12 Yet)

As for my CRT im always Playing Games with V-Sync OFF (never used it before TBF)
    it always complicate things when Playing when V-sync is ON, thats the reason im keeping this baby OFF (Yes its Great for LCD/LED but not for CRT)

In FC4 (im playing this game alot recently) is much better with FS ON, and interesting part is that Freesync is always enabled ! Yes even when FPS drops <60 !
    Fluent Gaming all't'time :banana:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Here the good example is Shadow of Mordor becouse it shows Frame Variations when Testing Performance (Build in Bench)

Look in here (i can see this when gaming but here you have this in Graph)
    Freesync Gaming is more Fluent :)

SoM FS-OFF / V-sync OFF (My Old Standard for Playing)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SoM FS-OFF / V-sync ON
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SoM Freesync ON / V-Sync OFF (My NEW Standard for Playing)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I have finished testing New NFS Udg3 DX11.1
    FS ON and FS OFF no V-Sync

===========
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also here when Gaming with Freesync ON the FPS Dips are not Visible (you can't tell when it happends !)
    e.g. from Steady 61 to 48-51FPS
    GREAT

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

This is what people are trying to get out there that its not actually freesync dont agree he has activated freesync.

Its obviously some sort of frame pacing.

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The differences seem tiny, but I guess that's because Onna is constantly CPU bottlenecked. I don't have the time to check it out myself these days. I would really like to try and "enable" it with my card. And I mean the part where the driver is obviously doing frame pacing. He's got constantly lower stuttering, not by much. With a faster CPU we could probably see much higher differences.

11. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Thanks TS...Manage to edit the Freesync Range of My Other Rig...

[​IMG]

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yes -> Thats the spirit !
    And don't go lower than that 33 is an minimum right now (many users reported that 33 is an actual good range for them)
    If something goes Blank/out of sync etc. try 34/35/36 etc. until it will be Solid :)

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    YUP it's FreeSync (yeah its only a Name) or Corrected Frame Sync :)

But my Name for it is better The Corrected Frame Sync -> this is what i get from it.
    And don't forget this can't be possible without FreeSync in ATI/AMD Drivers !
    And of course CRU :nerd:

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You are NOT enabling FreeSync on your non-FreeSync monitor. Particularly a CRT (where variable refresh is basically impossible due to pixel decay).

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Freesync in Variable Refresh Rate Mode are only for LCD/LED HW
    In CRT i have Freesync in Corrected Frame Sync Mode.

The Idea of Syncing Frames are very old :)
    And it seems that FreeSync is very Flexible Tech.

16. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900 XTU
    This program work for eyefinity/VSR resolutions also??

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    You tell me :)

Try and see, first run Demo (If OK then proceed to Gaming)
    Also try 50,55,60 etc. for Low Range (lowest reported that acually working is 33)
    Upper one is your Monitors Highest Refresh rate (put 75 here)
    Also is good to have DP conected to Monitor, but i think HDMI should work also.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  18. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900 XTU
    Have to have active DP, DVI, and HDMI for my setup. Worst case scenario, i'm reformatting...

19. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    Clearly some people here don't actually understand how FreeSync works. Don't assume this is impossible if you haven't tested it. Otherwise, you're just filling this thread with nonsense. People want to see results, not conjecture.

FreeSync works by varying the vertical blanking interval. ALL monitors support vertical blanking. It's part of the video signal. It's how the monitor knows where one frame ends and the next frame begins. The only question is whether the monitor can handle variable vertical blanking and longer blanking intervals. CRT monitors are basically controlled directly by the video signal, so this is more likely to work with a CRT. LCD monitors without scalers and laptop screens might also work. AMD themselves even demonstrated it working on existing hardware.

The problem is most LCD monitors on the market have scalers. LCD monitors with scalers are less likely to work without firmware changes because the scalers are usually designed to handle a limited range of refresh rates and timing parameters. The fact that some monitors are blacking out shows that it's actually doing something to the video signal and not just a driver toggle.

I can't test this right now because I don't have a FreeSync-capable video card, but I have one on the way. I wouldn't have thought to test this with a CRT, so OnnA deserves credit for that. Unfortunately, the only CRT I have is an old 14" with a limited range, but I also have an LCD monitor without a scaler that I'd like to test this on.

20. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    That's not what I said at all. CRT monitors flicker with the refresh rate. This is visible when taking a video with a camera. If the refresh rate is actually changing, then the change in flicker should be visible in the video. I just want to see some evidence that it's working. If I can get it working with a CRT, I will do this test and post the results.