The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - GOTY...August 30

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by sammarbella, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    My memory, lol. Release in May '15, till the end of the year, CDPR's official PC tech issue forums. Steam, too. I kept up, as I was stringing out my initial playthrough of the GOTY winner. It def stuck out as a common factor for many of the probs, fps issues the most common.

Not saying every 970 owner, as many of them would say so in the threads - maybe it was some strange driver/OS/display combo. But just too many were 970 users not to be coincidence. Who knows, could be the game.

And from the things your saying and issues you're having, this just doesn't seem like your thing. Which is a shame, as it's been one of the most amazing gaming experiences I've ever had. I will say if you install it again, you probly should try it with mouse and keys. Much better imo.

2. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    you sir must be mistaking witcher 3 with gta4, everything is true then

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Quite frankly you sound a little like your trolling.

Saying W3 looks like Oblivion is simply absurd, or you must have some really bad eye sight.

So your just going to regard the fact that W3 had a smaller budget, a smaller team, with less experienced devs than GTAV and still sit there and bash W3 for its "bad graphics". Kaer Morhen is probably one of the most beautiful maps ever designed in video game history. When I first ventured out into the forest around there I was literally stunned. Nothing in GTAV ever did that for me at all. I will 100% credit GTAV to having some of the best DOF I've ever seen and its motion capture the way the models move is extremely realistic. However the rest of the game is just empty for me. I can't go and speak to an NPC in a corner and end up on a huge journey through caves and dungeons, etc like in W3.

Also on controls, it seems to me that you only like arcade style controls as you mention "good game controls" as in no input = no reaction on screen. This is total BS as games *SPAM* back as far as Super Mario Bros. had mechanics in the controls whereby the character would react to something called momentum. The faster you run the longer it takes to stop, you know physics and stuff.

The control issues you mentioned I have never ever experienced any of them apart from having to pull back to stop the horse which after riding many horses in real life you have to pull back on the reins to make them stop.

As for the combat in the game it has to be some of the deepest combat ever in a video game. You have parry, repose, dodge, roll, blocking, different bomb types, different spells that can be mixed and used in different ways, different arrow types for different enemies. The combat actually requires some form of planning before you go head on it a fight. Your probably playing the game on normal difficulty if your finding the combat boring or difficult to control. This isn't COD so running in head first will get you killed.

W3 is about story telling, deep intricate quest lines, challenging combat that requires thought, a massive detailed world.

GTAV is about a small story about bank robbers who piss each other off, call each other a billion racist slurs every 30 seconds, shoot 300 people, die or get arrested and respawn, rinse and repeat.

After beating the story to GTAV I will say I was entertained and enjoyed a lot of it but after the story I was done. With W3 I keep going back for more story, more quests, to discover areas of the world I never knew existed. The DLC is some of the best DLC ever created. For the price and the hours of gameplay you get is simply fantastic. Instead GTAV has had zero storyline DLC, only some crappy heist missions for multiplayer that were 90% scripted and boring after the first play through.

It all boils down to personal opinion in terms of graphics and gameplay. But sitting there typing that you think W3 looks like a 2006 game

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yup, I see it now.... LOOKS INDENTICAL!!! :stewpid::stewpid:

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The oblivion comment was in reference to the lumps of grass that dont cast shadows, the ****ty draw distance and no shadows on characters faces. Then theres the clumpy green colors of foliage that make the grass and trees look like green blobs. The un-interactive stiff world where every is pretty much bolted down like a game built in Id tech6, that is of course besides the overly exaggerated bendy trees that swing about while long grass barely moves, if at all. Oh and the jelly like water.

If you honestly think this games visuals, level of detail and interactivity, in anyway match GTAV, then its not me who needs an eye checkup. Its not up for opinion, its blatantly comparable, observable quantifiable things.

But Im not saying my issue is that "this doesnt look like gtav, not playing". My original point was that for the subpar visuals on display here, the performance and hardware reqs are not in any way justified.

Im not the only one with issues with W3 controls (theres plenty more alt links also.):
    https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36ilts/shockingly_poor_movement_controls/

This guy summed it up perfectly:
    Momentum maybe a thing, but In videos games its just plain annoying if over-exaggerated, as is the case with W3.

The combat is not "As for the combat in the game it has to be some of the deepest combat ever in a video game." Thats just plain fanboy nonsense. It shallow, slow, boring and consists of hit roll dodge heal if required, then rinse and repeat. Also, i aware its not COD (smart ass :D).

The story is something i expected to have issues with, the medieval setting is not something i gravitate towards...so Im not going to take points away from it for that. But the voice acting...it just made it insufferable...its like the voice actors were bored and didn't want to be in that recording booth.

I started playing this to see what all the fuss is about, only to find a game that is clearly protected by extremist fanboys who cant handle their fav game being scrutinized in anyway what so ever, nor admit it has faults.

PS: Why on earth is drawing your sword bound to Scroll Lock, the amount times i got threatened by guards while messing with sweetfx. You cant even rebind it (unless i missed it).

5. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Of course it has faults. Everything does. I can't remember a game in recent memory that had such perfect faults though. The game is beautifully imperfect as it should be. There is a reason the game is highly regarded and still played.
    I hardly post these days but seeing people argue over these things irk me.
    Have a good day everyone.

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    My original post was addressing/querying about the performance. I just wanted to know if it was something at my end, or if the game was really so poorly optimized.

I offered my opinion in the games visuals, other chimed in, and we had a conversation.

Is that not the point of a forum? I wasnt aware Guru3d or other forums were brought into existence just to be an echo chamber of telling people that they fav game is nothing but perfect.

Why are gamers so opposed to criticism of certain games/devs?

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well, I got 550 hours played in TW3 and 470 in GTAV according to Steam, so while I would gladly get into this mini-war here, I have to say that I freaking love both games and both are in my opinion among the best ever made.

Graphics wise, strictly engine speaking, GTAV has the edge, but TW3 is more beautiful (art wise). BOTH games can be extremely demanding, but GTAV again has the crown here, I could literally cripple a Pascal Titan X on my 1440p display if I pushed the right settings. With TW3 it's mainly Hairworks that tanks the performance, and it's far too unimpressive for what it offers, so if you turn that off, or set it to low, the game will be a lot more "accessible" performance wise.

8. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    This is like trying to explain something to a kid?
    First, you have never designed something for a game. If you did you wouldn't write this nonsense? I however have created many assets for games, including textures and 3d meshes. The last project that i was involved is Enderal where i have made some armors for them. So please keep that in mind.
    W3 can look cartoonish in some areas and situations, but this is because of texture transparency effect. And only some textures have this, like some grass and bushes. This also is not something that i prefer, and i have criticized them for this on W3 forum. If this was my game i would not do it this way. Btw, grass looks much better in B&W.
    But this cartoonish look is irrelevant for performance.

W3 is the only game where i see real forests in the distance. It isn't 30-40 trees? This costs performance. Wind effects, physics effects?
    Interiors are much more detailed then GTA, and game calculates them even when you are not inside because houses are opened.
    Characters are much more detailed. Cities are much more detailed.
    This game is the most live game ever created.

And you know you can easily find many places in GTAV where graphics look like something from 2005? This game IS primarily designed for old consoles?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  9. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Last patch [1.31] downgraded the game allot i could tell, but folk just dont care, i stopped playing after goty patch from the witcher 3 everything looks more static now, tree,s are downgraded same as textures and other stuff for performance :(

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Please back up statements like this with evidence.

11. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    The latest that i have played from this game is B&W, so i really didn't check main game.
    Are you sure about this?

12. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Like these fanboys?(Sorry, had to post. One of my favorite images.)
    [​IMG]

13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    And?

My point was that gamers seem to think you cant criticize certain IPs, and going by the attitudes in this thread, its seems im right.

Its a poorly optimized game with subpar gfx and terrible controls. That is my experience with it.

Get over it.

14. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Yea, but your experience with it isn't consistent. If it was, all these companies would not have rated it as high.

Or am I wrong, here? Because tons of reviews for games have taken big points off for each of the 3 things you just mentioned.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  15. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    You don't like the game. I get that. People reading get that. However, most of the people who post in this Witcher thread obviously do. Are you going to find people not wanting to agree with your opinion about the game? Guaranteed. Why bother defending your opinion to people who openly and consistently don't agree with it? Seems like a exercise in futility to me.

16. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Yeah i am 100% sure.

17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I agree that patch 1.31 was crappy (for other aspects as well), I'd gladly do a rollback if I could. :wanker:

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Why would they downgrade the game? That makes no sense.

19. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    For the performance on ****ty pc,s are good now.
    Makes sense for me optimize the game more, downgrade textures and LOD + FOV, for folk that complain it runs crap on there ww2 hardware.

20. Kono

Kono Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 / 8GB
    isn't it sad that those folk can't tell the diff between downgraded quality vs optimizing? All they know is read bunch of number that is as long as it is 60fps and above. smdh... :bang: