MSI AfterBurner 4.3.0 Beta 14 Available For the Public

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I've tested this build in both TimeSpy and ROTTR. My findings are the following:

Global Profile Enabled: OSD displayed properly in all applications. This included 3DMark TimeSpy and ROTTR.

Application Specific Profiles with Global Profile Disabled: OSD displayed properly in ROTTR, but did not display in the 3DMark TimeSpy test at all.

I'm not sure if running the Global Profile disabled is recommended, but I did disable it for this testing.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  3. Unwinder

This can only mean that you created application profile for wrong executable in TimeSpy case. Do you aware that each test module in 3DMark is represented by a separate executable, and not by main 3DMark.exe shell? TimeSpy is something like 3DMarkTimeSpy.exe AFAIR (I'm not on my primary rig now so I cannot check it myself and say for sure).

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I was not aware of this. Will test again with the proper executable file.

EDIT: Retested with the proper executable file. OSD worked as expected.

5. Unwinder

Nice, thanks for confirming. I'll wait for a few more tests on different SLI/CF systems during the weekends then I guess we'll announce beta 6 on the main page.

6. Unwinder

BTW, considering that I just installed 1070 SLI system, I reproduced Pascal SLI VRAM usage bug myself and submitted some important info on it directly to important contacts from NV to help them fixing it faster.
    And I'm not sure if you realize that guys, but while it is temporarily broken in NVAPI, you may still force AB to use alternate source to report videomemory usage. For AMD/Intel graphics cards there are no dedicated VRAM usage reporting interfaces inside AMD/Intel driver API, so for AMD/Intel AB is using internal DX performance counters to track how many videomemory is currently allocated. You may force AB to use the same codepath for NV cards as well, to do it edit MSIAfterburner.cfg in root AB forlder and change GenericMemoryUsageMonitoring from 1 to 0 in [NVAPIHAL] section then restart AB. It can be done on any version of AB including the stable 4.2.0 release or new 4.3.0 betas.

7. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    You never cease to amaze me.

8. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    480 show Watt usage in Afterburner? my 290 is so jealous right now.

BTT: X64 does not work!
    I don't get an OSD in Timespy. I've been using your Test apps you've posted a while back.
    D3D12Multithreading.exe
    DX12SimpleTriangle.exe
    Work fine with OSD but the _x64 versions of both do NOT show OSD.

9. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI

64-bit support does work (make sure to select Enable 64-bit applications support under Compatibility properties), did you start RTSS from a clean install? Or did you use profile settings saved from a previous version? Try uninstalling RTSS and click no when it asks if you want save settings as this can help prevent some of these issues. For Time Spy use the 3DMarkTimeSpy.exe file located in the time spy dlc folder.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I don't have a SLI or Crossfire system but I figured I might as well update to this new version, doing so I got a message that some files could not be replaced without a restart as they were in use which when I tested to delete the file manually it reported as being in use by first ShellExperienceHost.exe and then ApplicationFrameHost.exe

So I simply added those to the list of profiles to not hook into but it might be something to add as default profiles in later versions of this software since I assume it's best not to hook into default Windows (10) services and whatever else those two do.
    (The shell one is partially responsible for the start menu functionality at least.)

I'm just using the usual setting for it:

[Hooking]
    EnableHooking = 0

Doubt it's going to cause much of a problem regardless but still. :)

Also using a profile for OriginThinSetupInternal.exe since the (EA) Origin client updater will otherwise have a framerate monitor (Or other enabled elements.) in it which isn't really needed and I don't know if it's needed with newer versions of it but I did use a profile for qbittorrent.exe which was also being detected.

Anyways just thought it might be worth mentioning, it's pretty easy to set up profiles manually too or just take one of the existing ones make a copy of that and rename it and restart Afterburner / RTSS and have it loaded in that way. :)

11. Unwinder

It works fine. Either 64-bit support service is disabled in RTSS properties on your side or installer's messages were ignored RTSS was not rebooted during installation as prompted.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Just tested TimeSpy with GTX 1080 SLI, confirmed working.

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ROTR Rise of the Tomb Raider keeps crashing running the DX12 benchmark.

Update: Never mind it also crashes without RTSS disabled.

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    The best way, I have found for updating AB, is if you have it running and set to startup at login, disable that temporally.
    Then reboot and uninstall and install new version.
    You won't get that file in use problem, plus it makes sure its clean.

Not saying this is only way, but one I found easiest and fast with less possible issues.

15. Unwinder

Works here with and without RTSS:

https://youtu.be/YV6CF7k_8lA

16. xixou

xixou Guest

GPU:
    inno3d 1070 3x (4)
    Good that your reported that to NV.
    I noticed that issue using aida64 extreme as well.

17. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    I did reboot after installation. Lernt my lesson the last time.

But yeah, after completly uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, rebooting it works fine now ~.~

18. Unwinder

Yep, the root of the issue is that NVAPI is always correctly reporting total amount of dedicated VRAM for GPU but sometimes reporting wrong (greater than total) amount of currently available VRAM for Pascal GPU in SLI. Displayed usage in all tools is calculated as usage=total-available so depending on signed/unsigned math usage the tools reporting it either as negative value (e.g. GPU-Z) or as huge positive value (Precision, AB, AIDA and so on).

19. Unwinder

20. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 MSI GXT
    I have a few games that refuse to run if AB 4.3.0 beta 14 is running. If i close it, they run. I have tried disabling things such as RTSS and the OC settings but nothing seems to work. Ive been running Windows insider builds 14936/14942 both of which are the same. Running latest drivers on my 2 970s in SLI. This also is not just steam games. Some steam games run and some non steam games like Witcher 3 do not.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016