SpaceX Reveals plan to send Men to Mars and Colonize

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 28, 2016.

1. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Not for long. At the rate we're polluting it, it will be a dead planet very soon... just find some videos about the rate of forest destruction in the past century. And desertification of the planet.

Incorrect. If you look at the video, as mars spins faster it becomes more blue, with water.
    Yes, terraforming.
    And guess what ? FRESH planet, no pollution, no A-bombs detonated on it, no nuclear accidents, no gigantic pile of garbage in the middle of the ocean...

Or perhaps we should educate our children to take care of the planet.
    Oh wait... we're buying them iPhones and Galaxy's to find Pokemons and stay of Facebook all day long.
    Good job humanity ! That's our future, a race of phone zombies.

No wonder the rich want to live in that Elysium space station ... or on Mars.

2. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    Maybe try getting to the moon first and then setup base there.

Please don't fake it like NASA.

Why haven't we been back, Because we never went.

ahahahaahhaahahha

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The whole point of this is to lower the cost of moving there to the same average as a house in the US, which is around $200,000 as a mortgage. So it's basically the exact opposite of what you say. Also if I were the elites, I wouldn't be hanging around in a place that I can only breathe (literally), if supplies from the "oppressed" Earth arrive, presenting the easiest possible target at the same time.

But f*ck logic right?

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    and IF we could terraform how long would THAT take and more importantly what would stop the newly terraformed atmosphere from being blown back in to space? I mean we could send big Arnie up there as the first visitor and I guess he could have a moral quandry about turning on the Alien reactor but what happens if that doesn't work?

Well not until we try terraforming it

Yep no A Bombs but which ever way we look at we will need to send some sort of nuclear based power production system up there even if it's something like an RTG if we want to live there we will need a power source that is going to give power no matter what and last a long time that means something nuclear.

Well that's a given but only because their isn't any oceans there.

Hooo boy :3eyes:

5. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Good summary of where this thread went.

Mars offers practically no advantage over the Moon as a colony choice except for a bit more gravity. Hardly worth the massive increase in expense to get there in large numbers.

6. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Well, somebody has to be the first to try. I mean it's inevitable, so why delay it.

7. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Having a viable 'space base', with the ability to build and outfit interplanetary spacecraft, is pretty much a requirement for such an attempt.

A direct attempt would be more of a 'stunt' than anything truly sustainable.