SpaceX Reveals plan to send Men to Mars and Colonize

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 28, 2016.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    No, just no! Please leave me alone!!!

I don´t want anybody around me!...:roll:

2. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Exploiting the entire rest of the solar system makes more sense to me. The dystopian overlords may have to spend more in the short term to get the slaves off the planet but, it pays off in the long term when they don't have to worry about habitability of random planets.

3. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    The idea that we can prevent contamination of the entire solar system forever is an absurd one. I'm not even sure it has a real moral basis. We aren't concerned with bacteria and single celled organisms on Earth. Once we've done a reasonable search of a planet and found nothing, we should stop worrying so much.

4. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    This all hinges on a usable supply of water and being able to extract it. The moon does not have that option other than supplying the colony from earth.

5. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Good story,nice plan.

But on Mars dont fly every casual citizen,only the choosen ones.
    The movies and games always show us the future reality.The One Government will be true.
    When will you laugh at this,then I laugh at you when the reality will come with that Government. ;)

Billions from every rich people will make this planet habitable for "Elite" not for you,for you,for you.
    There are billions of money from rich people.They dont want You,citizen,to be involved in this work.

Dreams are always nice,but the reality is always so Strong. :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
  7. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    "Building it for the Elite?"

WTF are you even talking about? What a ridiculously misguided statement. There is so much wrong with this I dont even know where to start.

8. Arend.C

Arend.C Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    You know Mars is not actually a red planet. It has a blue sky almost just like earth's. The pictures nasa sends out are put trough some editing before released.

9. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12 G MSI
  10. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12 G MSI
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016

11. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    :bang: Colonizing Mars? Why? Tell me, what does Mars have to offer? No breathable atmosphere, no known source of water, no vegetation or wildlife for food, barren landscape. Yeah, sign me up....

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Well not the craziest thing this guy has said of late

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...mulation-gaming-virtual-reality-a7060941.html

Lol you're f*cking mad mate, pushing the ever increasing levels of Nasa edits the photos madness aside you can actually f*cking see Mars with the naked eye and you can clearly see it has a red hue (glint) to it.

I don't care what badger smoking nut bar project Musk comes up with next, he's moving in to the crazy grandad of the tech world, I am going to hide in the garden shed and beat the mole men that live in my garden with my slippers, yes grandad you sure are. The only difference is that Elon Musk has the money to make really big slippers and sit in a really big garden shed, not my money so I couldn't care less. I am more concerned about the one day when he actually does finally beat one of those mole men... sorry actually come up with some project that isn't bat sh*t insane and it does actually work.

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It's important to know how to grow potatoes with your own (and everyone else's) faeces. :nerd:

14. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Why keep the slaves on the luscious green planet with an abundance of water and food? It would probably be the other way around where they would ship all slaves and criminals to the red barren rock while they live in luxury here on Earth. Environmentalist are always saying that humans are the problem and that we're destroying the planet. What better way to save Earth than shipping all those useless eaters to another planet.:heh:

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Like what? 10 years ago all the people in the space industry thought landing a rocket was bat **** insane and impossible. 15 years ago people were saying that a new entrant into the American automotive market was impossible given the market conditions. 5 years ago, the idea of taking a maglev train and shoving it into a vacuum seemed far fetched - but now there are companies working on that as well.

I think 10 years for a mars mission is definitely a bit of a stretch - but I don't really understand how people can sit here and say "SpaceX has done nothing new thus far" or "Before someone starts saying how brilliant engineer he is, no he's not. He got rich on SW." There are like threads every day in the guru3d pub form complaining about rich people and here's a guy that pivoted from a financial company into traveling to Russia to learn to build rockets + electric cars (soon for the masses) and they are ****ting on him anyway.

Also simulation theory has been around for a while, that's not something he came up with.

16. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Molemen are the same as thinking the Universe may be part of a simulation. What a weird comparison. The simulation bit is really no different from religion. Actually, it's slightly better, at least there is part of a somewhat logical train of thought. No idea why you'd discount someone, who has already done a ton, over it.

17. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    moral basis probably playing GOD?, from contamination -> grow to primitive life-being ... thats mean human creation right ? so to that planet, human is their God ? hahaha this just joke

well at least for now, what NASA prevent is altering what it shouldnt in first place... its all about possibilities that other planet habitat evolved/changed because contamination from earth genes ending up completely changed the history forever

but i think this because we still in exploration era... i believe when we get to next era, where we cruising on the galaxy it wont be matter anymore

nasa said they found water evidence on mars..
    creating atmosphere is possible if there air (hydrogen,oxygen,nitrogen,carbon)... and air can be created from water

with atmosphere-air-water, soil can be fertile
    well thats the dream i guess

but even our current international space station is limited
    when we have ISS like in science fiction, maybe colonizing a planet is much believe-able

but colonizing planet is better possiblity than creating a habitable space colony/station... as it still far to much technical difficulties

18. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Sorry but if you don't know how to construct a proper phrase in English, your credibility is somewhat questionable. IE the validity of anything you say is undoubtedly something that certain people will not trust.

Why am I saying this? Well, I am what they call a grammar *****. Though I like to think of it as educating people. I also had to say it, due to your mention of "doubt" and "prove wrong". :)

**Would HAVE** (never "of")

19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    This

and this

Put simply what Elon Musk has done with these examples doesn't even rate in the annuals of achievement in comparison to the task of putting a man in orbit of Mars let alone getting them to the surface, setting up a working colony, placing the infrastructure in place to keep them alive over time, keeping them alive (human condition) and then getting them back home again.

To date his projects have been tiny tiny drops when you compare them to what he is proposing here which ever way you slice it the projects mentioned (Tesla) and (Space X) are drops in the water in their own fields, projects of limited success when compared to the market they are in (though Space X is still early enough that it may turn out a lot bigger than it currently is) and I am afraid that taking people to live on Mars is not a project where you can have limited success, it is a project that either works 100% of time EVERY time or people die and Elon Musk's project are, so far anything other than works 100% of time EVERY time.

Then again I may be wrong he may do it.. then again it's taken him more than 10 years to get a niche level of success electric car on the road so....

20. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Meh, I'm just tired of Elon. Everyone praises him for making Tesla which isn't even profitable. It's not even close to profitable. I'm not sure what kind of business model that follows, but I can't think favorably of him. It's hilarious that it's government funded and that they make cars for upper class people. I'm going to stop there because I'm just going to get worked up about it and make a scene. It isn't worth it.