Forza Horizon 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    No sadly. Which is annoying as sli works with gears 4

2. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I want to buy this so bad but the repeated issues I see across multiple sites has scared me away..

3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Patiently waiting for the PC Demo they said would come out after release. The REALLY high price, UWP, performance issues keep me from throwing down on this even tho I really want too...

4. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I would if there was a clear refund policy.. When you try to buy the game it clearly says "NO REFUNDS" in the dialog box.. Yet I read reports of people getting refunds through MS Support.

5. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Heres some information for everyone.

Just read some interesting details regarding maxing out the game here, it seems even at 1080P, Nvidia having a hard time keeping up: http://*************/nvidia-amd-gpus-benchmarked-forza-horizon-3/

Also, because the game is encrypted and needs to be decrypted on the fly, 4 core CPUs, decrypting from SSD gives LOWER performance than decrypting from slower HDDs due to faster read speeds and the cpu not keeping up?!

http://*************/forza-horizon-...detailed-new-video-possible-cause-discovered/

While the reason behind these performance issues has yet to be discovered, reddit user dkhavilo believes he has found it. According to the user, the game stutters due to ESR, as a lot of CPU is required to decrypt files while playing.

The reason of those stutters is the fact that the game uses EFS which consumes a lot of CPU.
    Yesterday, i’ve captured a usage on my CPU and GPU, and found interesting thing, when CPU has 100% a lot of stuttering appears and GPU usage lower fluctuates at 50-80%. Stutters mostly appears in a city and mostly at the fast speed, when the game loads a lot of assets simultaneously. The i’ve navigated to a folder where game is installed and found that game folder uses EFS, which AFAIK uses AES256 encryption. Having EFS is ok for sensible documents, not the game files, because it requires a lot of CPU to decrypt.
    There’s also a post on the official forums where a user has issues on a 4-core CPU, and has no issues on a 6-core one.
    P.S. My specs are i5-6600k @ 4.0GHz, MSI Gaming X GTX 1070, 16Gb RAM, installed on a 512Gb Crucial MX100.
    Update 1 During cpu spikes there’s a high IO activity too, as assumed on the mentioned forum thread, this can be the result of encryption preventing files to be cached. This can also prove, the encryption might be a problem, because cpu is bottlenecked when reading a huge amount of data. If you have HDD, then read speed is pretty low, meaning you have less data to decrypt each second, but on an ssd, data reads very fast resulting in a big cpu spikes

If people could post their experiences here, and maybe any tweaks for Nvidia users, that would be helpful to the community. I am downloading as we speak, as far as I know, keeping the game at high quality will give better performance at any resolution with GTX1080 than with Ultra High quality. Also I can't believe I am saying this, if this is the future of gaming, is 4 core CPUs dead? I am really glad something finally is going to give me my value for my 6 core 6880k! :) Will post results once I download this huge download off my crappy capped satellite connection. :(

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    No need to spam this. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5339274#post5339274

7. deets75

deets75 Guest

hardly spamming... is reddit banned here?

8. deets75

deets75 Guest

i got one on the pre order but it hadnt unlocked...

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    So... On my rig... I have to settle for 30fps lock. If I uncap the frame rate, with everything maxed and 4xMSAA at 1440p, the game runs around 70fps and then it stutters like mad from time to time. It's not playable like this. My PC can clearly push 60+ fps with the settings above, but the stutter is random and pretty game breaking.

At 30fps, the game is fine, but the obvious 30fps limitation is not ideal. Still enjoyable.

All of my cores are being evenly used. Hate the amount of loading screens in this game, completely breaks the immersion. Call this an open world racing game and then everywhere you go you see a loading screen. Pretty obnoxious.

10. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I tried the game this morning. I have Logitech G27 wheel/pedal set which is supposed to be supported but steering the car is tricky. I think the car is over-steering. How can I fix this problem?

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    This is an arcade racer. The only way to fix oversteer in real life would be changing suspension, aero, tyre etc settings. In this you just counter steer.

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    There should be some tuning available at least there was in FH2.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    There is, tyres, weight reduction, engine etc. Very basic stuff, of course. All of the cars I tried understeer like a lorry into corners and oversteer on exit. Pretty standard :)

14. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    You can tune everything from aero, gear ratios, suspension, tire pressures etc. It's actually just as in depth as the main Forza series When it come to car setup.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok, just messed with the game, let's consider the issue is indeed the DRM.

Try setting the game .exe to "read only". I just did, maxed the game out, set to 60fps limit. The game ran solid 60fps. This is in Surfer's Paradise.

There was maybe one stutter in all 10 minutes I played. Someone please try this and confirm if this works for you?

Problem is, with the .exe set to "read only" the game CTD after trying to load a race. But would like to hear back from you guys to see if it makes your game run better.

Fair, didn't really look into it in that much depth.

16. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    To be fair with the somewhat unpredictable nature of each race, car setup is basically irrelevant, I tend to just tweak the tyre pressures slightly, throw brake balance further forward to 60% and then turn brake pressure down to 90%, takes some of the viciousness out of the initial braking, seems more controllable with less locking up.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Fair point, it's almost pointless setting up for some of the races, you go half tarmac half gravel so it's impossible :)

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Managed to get the Warthog showing in My Garage but to do so I had to load the game on my Xbox One where it was immediately showing. Once I quit that game, loaded it on PC and let it sync the save file that was when the Warthog was added to the PC version. A cool vehicle for sure but one that is practically impossible to drive properly in the cockpit view due to restrictive windscreen, the height of the vehicle and the low viewpoint inside.

19. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    The cars skid all over the place, especially on dirt roads and water on roads.

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    So, no X1, no Warthog?