HP admits rejecting non-HP ink cartridges - it was deliberate and won't release fix

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2016.

1. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    @waltc3
    Great deal you have there!

2. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Just from my experience, depending on the quality control of the third party, it is not worth the savings. I have yet to come across a third party cartridge that does not malfunction at some point. Nothing is preventing one from refilling the oem cartridges. Grant it, it can be messy at times but still doable. Plus like mentioned before, one has to know by now that ink jet printers are dirt cheap. The cost of the oem ink is where those manufacturers make their money. It is marketing at its finest.

Television used to be free. One only resorted to cable because reception was terrible or nonexistent. So even though internet streaming is cheaper it is still more than it used to be. Do not even get started on the whole bottled water boondoggle. Who in their right mind pays for the stuff. Marketing is what convinced everyone it was the cool thing to do. Ink is nothing compared to the other stuff. It is just that the other stuff is more easily dismissed/rationalized.

EDIT: Where are the dot matrix printers of old?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  3. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Simple fix really don't update your firmware lol. I doubt they even update the firmware anymore on my 3055A anyway.

4. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    I don't know if they simply don't care, but I am pretty happy with Brother printers, depending on the model, I have seen compatible cartridges as low as 0.75€ each.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Most probably it is. I recall that when SodaStream suddenly switched the old thread diameter of the CO2 bottles to a new one, rendering third party CO2 solutions incompatible, some people made an official inquiry about it, claiming the action hurt the free market and customers' choices. SodaStream simply stated that their business model is to force customers to get their CO2 from SodaStream licensed official sources. That was enough for the EU as an explanation. I reckon this case is perfectly equivalent.

The printer units themselves seem to be quite a bit more expensive, understandably if Epson wants then to make more money that way. However, my concern is that if the printer malfunctions, then that's it, the bigger invested is lost. I wouldn't put it beyond these corporations to purposefully include some weakness in the unit, to force the customer to get a new one after a time. In the first place since traditional printers are so cheap, as the money comes from the ink, is this EcoTank any different?

Traditionally a printer is shipped with just a little bit of ink, so that the customer can print a couple of pages to see how it works. Then it's off to the shop to donate to the manufacturer!

6. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    I bought an MG5750 a year ago and it's working perfectly.
    Ink seems to last what ink normally lasts.
    Love the automatic duplex too.
    Sure is a much better printer than my last couple of HP printers.

Dunno, maybe I've been lucky?

Maybe next printer will be a Brother, seeing that most of you are happy with them.

7. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    It's simply because they can. They have over 7,000 patents on ink tenchnology. Mind you I can understand why they want to protect their property they invested money in to engineering. But this is not the first time something like this has come to light
    http://wirthconsulting.org/2016/04/...e-patent-infringement-suits-across-the-globe/
    Now HP has a pretty big presence in my city (Boise, ID USA) and it used to do a lot of business and manufacturing here and so I rooted for them. But year after year they have outsourced their work to countries with no labor laws and laid off 10s of thousands of employees in my city alone. Meanwhile that crook of a CEO they had at one time Carly Fiorina almost ran the company in to oblivion but made out like a bandit with millions and millions of dollars before being fired basically by the stock holders and not only that but the damn ***** also was in contention for our presidency not too long ago. So HP can go F themselves, weve moved on to Epson

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You should move here. I paid $25 for mine....too bad it's color calibration was so far off it was impossible to print photos with. I live about 3 miles from one of the Canon printer plants through. All of the printers sold locally, come from the plant here. They can range from $5 to $25 cheaper for us than elsewhere.

We use Brothers printers at work. For the most part, they're great. Their Laser printers don't last forever though. We typically go through 2-3 of them a year but we're printing thousands of pages a months.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    In most places I've seen, they use HP's laser printers for document and email printing and they all (except some of the largest companies) just get their toners refilled from the smaller computer shops. Why waste money when it gets the job done for less? lol.

10. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    why are we still printing papers in 2016 is the real question, I wish all those hipsters-ecologists would go on a revolt and ban pen and papers outright once and for all, so ironic how much outcry there is for waste and the planet yet we have this gargantuan, centuries old industry still hanging around

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Ah, but, if the system crashes like for a bank, then, it's back to paper to help keep track of transactions etc. You can't rely on digital alone.

12. Darkje

Darkje Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX 3060Ti
    They always say that using cheap ink breaks the printer. If that is the case they should be happy to unlock the printer to be able to use cheap cartriges after a year or so, then the printer breaks and you have to buy a new one, thinking it was your own fault because you putted that cheap ink in it.

I don't want to give them any ideas but in my opinion this is just a strange move

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    So, the question we should be asking is when these patents expire?

I'm sure they would have a work around by patenting each cartridge "shape", but, I'm sure many of these ink patents should've expired or are on the verge of expiring.

14. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Having worked in IT for 10 years and seeing what cheap toner cartridges does to HP printers I'd do the same thing given the same choice. They do more damage than good.

15. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    One place where I used to work had a third party toner cartridge come apart inside a printer. Quite a mess.

I have little doubt about HP's motives though.

16. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Meh, never used HP printers anyway. It's either Brother or Canon.

17. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    They make little profit / no profit / loss on their printers. They make garguantuan profit through selling their ink cartridges. They wouldn't care. They're rather you keep your printer (low to no profit to them) and always, always buy their ink cartridges (huge profit to them).

18. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  19. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Sure...but at the $2.99 per month plan level, you pay just $36 per year and you will never run out of ink and always be assured of having it when you need it. That's cheaper than I can buy one set of cartridges direct from HP at a discount...! It's also cheaper than most cheap printers that include a set of small cartridges. Her OfficeJet also scans, copies, and faxes across the network if you need to. It comes with all the control software you need, etc.

I'm surely not trying to sell it to you...;) Just thought the info was a nice match for the topic.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/r?jumpId=in_r11549_us_en_hpc_ii2_hpcbanner_120315

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  20. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Nope, it's available just in Canada, France, Germany, Spain, United Kingdom and United States, just checked via sign up link you provided :(

This deal would be so welcome years ago when I bought HP Photosmart 2575 All-in-One just to print photos made with my old trusty CHDK modded Canon A720 IS. With 3rd party XL capacity cartridges refilled to the max it could print on average 70 to 80 photos 10x15cm + some 10 photos A4 size, all of them on photo paper and highest quallity. My wife and my mom were literally abusing that printer every single day because is was so easy to use, even 5 y.o child could learn how to print photos in just 10 minutes, it has multi card-reader, PictBridge, color screen... Sometimes I needed to refill both cartridges twice a day because of few thousands of pics they used to print every single day: childhood pictures, pictures from weddings, vacations... Can't believe that printer is still alive and kicking after thousands of photo printouts.

Wish I had a deal like HP Instant Ink back in the days to ease myself and avoid everiday refiils done by my own hands. God, how I hated those words: "...darling, seems to me that colours are near the end and you need to refill it, again..." :mad4: