Rumor: 2GB Geforce GTX 1050 and 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2016.

1. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Of course better GPU is always better... but you really surestimate the PhysX computation's need...

*edit* PhysX take out job from CPU, even a 5** or 6** middle class serie do this special calculation faster than CPU, so why let it do this work while an old (obsolete lol) GPU can do it better.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

well old q9450 might not, but 4770k was more then capable.

My point was physx is very cuda/ram bandwidth dependent and fast i7 with 35gb/s will faster then a 20-30GB/s vram gpu.

you can see it here 640gt vs 650gtx, one having slow ram other gddr5
    http://1pcent.com/?p=169

&
    http://www.volnapc.com/all-posts/how-much-difference-does-a-dedicated-physx-card-make

Anyway, didn't really want to derail this thread with a addon physx gpu :grin:

3. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    It always was a far worse deal than several other entry level cards before the 760, of course it´s not surprise is choking this soon, I only got it because the 4gb 960 was too pricey and the 970 looked gimped too. It seems it was the smarter move because those cards are struggling in some of the latest games too... the only good maxwell card was the 980ti, every other segment was just too gimped and carried too hefty price tags around here. Obviously the problem is that nvidia these days is making entry/medium level cards too slow compared to the big chip, and too pricey. Bang for buck vs. console is at it´s lowest ever, today €300 cards barely perform good at the same resolution than 3 year old consoles, but when previous console gen was two years old and despite having high end hardware at launch, $80 bucks would give you 50% better frame rates at 50% higher resolution (aka hd4670)

As for the 750ti still being good for some people, it´s only because they are not asking much at this point in time, I mean seriously an overclocked 950 is like 60-70% faster and already has problems.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  4. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I see this PhysX talking like every release of low end nvidia cards, but dispite batman Arkham Knight that actually have GPU smoke and stuff like what, what recent games have GPU PhysX?

I mean, there are tons of games with basic PhysX stuff exclusively processed by the CPU, like cloth and basic ragdoll stuff, but apart from that almost no game do use GPU PhysX nowadays!

5. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    Its better to have a very fast card for a dedicated gpu physx ..so there is no lag and the main gpu waiting on cycles..the more cores the better
    But yeah gpu physx seems far and inbetween these days as most physx are on the cpu..i have a gtx 680 for a physx card if i need it..most games use havok physx

6. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    There was a video on youtube about it. They pitted different card combos and measured performance. Can't remember the channel, there are a crap load now, but if you search for multiple card physx or something like that i'm sure you'll find it.

Wikipedia has a list of GPU physX games. I think everything now can pass to the gpu? via the driver? I mean you don't have to explicitly set it to go to the GPU when making the game.
    Sure if you want a crap tonne you may want to do that.

7. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Man I thought that this gen we were going to see a showcase for gpu physics, opencl-dxcompute-physix or whatever when they were showing those early demos, fail.

8. Goose

Goose Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Hybrid (+ GT745)
    I'm grateful for both the PhysX discussion, and reporting on them thar 1050(s), as the GTX 650 Ti in the HTPC could use an upgrade …

madVR is a harsh mistress.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    shouldnt it be about time they start announcing the 11xx series xD