16.101.X [Pre-GCN driver pack]

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by user1, Jul 28, 2016.

1. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Do you still have a video to that Russian user who modded his BIOS. Maybe I will see something that you didn't.

I checked that thai video but understood 0 :D

2. jacta

jacta Guest

GPU:
    hd8970m
    Yeah, here you go: youtube.com/watch?v=-KnQ6vAgL9I

If I follow those steps, I end up using only the dgpu, but in device manager both appear.

If I change the option for "integrated graphics" in "GFX Configuration" to "Disabled", I have no video output, and the laptop keeps rebooting. The last time I did that, I had to enter the bios blind and set the options to default, it was scary hahaha

3. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000

You need to look up the key combos to reset your BIOS settings if you have no screen. OEMs have certain keyboard shortcuts to do this. You will need to google.

Another option is to use a USB that reflashes the BIOS.

But this is something you need to do for your model. No need to be scared.

Also the user in the video is changing settings in 2 places.

Graphics

and
    AMD PowerXpress Configuration

Looks like PX needs to be disabled.

You might have to keep your Integrated card on.

It might switch off automatically if you disable PX.

Only way to know is to play around.

4. ms178

ms178 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    I did succeed updating the Intel Management Engine Interface a couple of weeks ago and it was a pretty straight forward process. I guess you are aware of the Win-Raid-Forums - there was a good post explaining what one has to do and providing the needed files.

Concerning the Intel vBIOS, in a different sub-forum over there one can get the raw files and tools needed. There is also a guide for the transfer of specific Intel vBIOS settings from the old firmware version to the new one. Maybe that could be of interest concerning the switch-off of the iGPU for PXAI systems, too? But as I have mentioned earlier, that seems to be very complicated process and the risk involved probably isn't worth it to try it myself.

So if anyone out there reading this might be able to help, that would be great.

By the way, thanks a lot for all of your effort over the years and everyone involved keeping us up-to-date with our notebooks!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

5. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    Wanted to download Forza 6: Apex from the WinStore app and couldn't because "this title needs hardware that your device doesn't have".

So I scrolled to the bottom and two things that I don't have are:
    2GB VRAM (obviously) and DirectX Feature Level 11

My card has DX11 support and dxdiag says my D3D DDI is 11.2.
    Does WinStore fails to detect a DX support level because I use these modded drivers? Can someone else test this on these drivers? Don't really want to reinstall drivers back and forth just to find out that it's a WinStore app bug.

Here's a link for the game (check in the WinStore app): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/forza-motorsport-6-apex/9nblggh3shm7

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  6. Darch

Darch Guest

GPU:
    Rtx2060
    You need Directx12 for Winstore games.

"DirectX Feature Level 11" means "Dx12 Feature Level 11"

7. jacta

jacta Guest

GPU:
    hd8970m
    I tried that, disabling PX and enabling igpu, and the results are the same, windows detects both gpu, but is always using the dedicated one.

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I have an idea, since windows sees the igpu but doesn't use it, have you tried adding the 8650g to the inf of 16.9.1 to see what happens ?, even if the the trinity apu isn't supported, if it is indeed performing passthrough mode, it should prevent windows from rejecting the driver install.

9. jacta

jacta Guest

GPU:
    hd8970m
    I tried to replicate what the thai guy does in his video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCCEXm1Cz6A) but I can't. In the comments there are some steps, but I don't understand how he uninstalls a driver, and then he still can select it in device manager haha.

@user1 I don't really know how to do that.

By the way, I tried fifa17 with the igpu, and... it works, very low fps, but works. If I use the dgpu, the game works, I can hear the sounds, but it doesn't show graphics, or it shows very glitchy ones, not playable at all. It's the only game that gives me problems.

10. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Is it possible just to disable the iGPU from the device manager once you have switched off the PX functionality in the BIOS .. then restarting.

I presume that you have tried switching off the iGPU AND the PX functionality in the BIOS as well.

Maybe ontop of that you need to mess with setting the primary display.

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    ah i see what he did notice at 4:58, hd 8650g 16.300.2311,

I think what he did is inf mod in hd 8650g, so that he could install the newer crimson package 16.7.3 normally, and then upon reboot he probably installed the 15.301.1901 driver (the inf from 16.2.1)manually in device manager on the 8650g to get proper display output.

Ill post an 16.9.2 inf mod with trinity later so you can try doing this , unless funkymike want to do it

12. jacta

jacta Guest

GPU:
    hd8970m

That could be it, if you post that inf mod I will try it. Thank you very much.

13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    http://pastebin.com/7RsCDKMA

just copy this to a text file and rename it to C0307101.inf and replace the inf in the 16.9.2 installer directory (C:\AMD\*DriverFolder*\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\)

edit:
    In other news , discovered some weirdness, I took the latest 16.400 branch driver, inf modded in 6870, some interesting things happened, reclocking is broken(stuck at 100mhz) and gpu detection is mostly broken, proper display output is broken (800x600), HOWEVER, The weirdness is that I was able to launch Valley in DX11 mode, opengl /dx 9 won't create a window and will fail as expected, but dx 11 works? It really shouldn't do anything let alone render a scene(at 3 fps).

Could just be softrast fall back but that seems odd since cpu usage wasn't high, and i wouldn't expect much more than 1 fps
    Edit:2
    Dxdiag reveals it is softrast, amazing that it can get that kind of frame-rate on such a old cpu, you could probably play a dx11 game with 6950x without a gpu at all!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  14. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Can these be installed on Windows 7 for a 5870?

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Would require alterations to the package to install properly.

Ill see what i can do.

16. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I appreciate it!

It's for a friend of mine.
    The beta Crimson drivers for the 5870 gives him a nice noticeable boost on GTA V so, I would love to try these for him.

Thank you!

17. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Am embarrassed to say that we still haven't even gotten around to a UnifL build because real life etc.

I think there is a software made by the techinferno guys for eGPUs that allows users to hide their internal iGPU. That might also be a solution. Personally I haven't tried yet .. always wanted to contact those guys.

I did try to fiddle with the dlls and IDA but my skillset is non existent.
    Also the dlls look much smaller than the older ones.

18. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    no need, it defaults to the basic microsoft display driver which does softrast , confused me initally since in device manager it showed the driver installed, even though it wasn't loaded

19. sirDaniel

sirDaniel Guest

GPU:
    940MX
    Hi, according to official statement of amd here https://community.amd.com/thread/197820
    "Unfortunately you cannot install different version of the driver in the same system."

I dont know what would be cause of it. i think the only way of trying install different driver anyway, is to not running installer, but install through device manager. im quite eager to know, where are the drivers stored of dgpu or they use same dlls as igpu? If having separate dlls, there could be possible to swap dlls for never versions. The culprit is that somewhere few versions after 16.2 the drivers changed its behaviors, so 16.9 may not neccesery works by swapping but earlier version might, like 16.7 or so. OGL swapping always works, i do this all the time, dx dlls swapping is more error prone.

To make things even funnier, look at heroutm user posts

EDIT: from the additional link of amd official
    "What should I do if my AMD legacy product is installed another type of system?

If your legacy product is installed on a system that is also installed with an AMD supported graphics product, it is recommended that you first uninstall the legacy product before proceeding with driver installation/upgrade. Driver installation and upgrade on such systems must be done systematically as incompatibility between legacy products and newer driver releases can result in errors such as display corruption, blank screens, and unexpected driver behaviors."

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  20. Wardlex

Wardlex Guest

GPU:
    intel
    Hi everyone, i want to ask, possible or not create mod for non gcn?
    16.150.3001.0 (10.05.2016)click to download
    Or this driver work only with GCN cards ?
    P.S. Sorry for my bad English.