Forza Motorsport 6 Apex for Windows 10

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Mar 1, 2016.

1. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    FM is a track racing games, FH is a open world racing game, a MMO with cars basically in it's loosest sense.

2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    What is your setup like? Where does your OS live? Where is the game installed? Do you have a page file? If so, where is it and how large? I've tried everything from the lowest resolution with low dynamic settings to 4k with max settings. Same stutters either way, even with a locked 60fps. It has to be hard drive or SSD related, or rather the way the game uses them, because the stutters always happen *exactly* when my HDD light flicks on. I've tried the game on my main SSD (850 EVO 250GB w/78GB free space) and my only mechanical drive (1TB WD Black) and get the exact same stutters.

I've tried no page file, 1GB page file, system managed page file, 10GB page file, changing the .exe priority via task manager, clean install of Win 10 1607, 5 different nvidia drivers between 365.xx up to 372.70. Going to try 372.90 once the Horizon 3 demo for PC comes out. I'm out of ideas.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ BuileR2 - I have a 1 TB boot SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) with Windows 10 Pro v1607 Build 14393.187 installed on it. Forza Motorsports 6 APEX is installed on my 1 TB H: drive, which is a mechanical hard drive (a 7,200 rpn Seagate Barracuda I believe). I do have the page file enabled, yes, but it is system managed but I noticed that the boot SSD seems to always have a 16 GB page file on there. I do have Perfect Disk 14 Pro installed, which defrags the mechanical hard drives when the system isn't in use.

I believe that I did experience some minor stuttering issues when the game was first launched as a beta but after the first update the game has pretty much been running smoothly. Of course, I do not play this now anywhere near as much as I used to due to the game's lack of content but I did play a a couple of races last week and the game seemed to be running fine (after I'd readjusted the graphics settings again).

I'm clutching at straws here but do you have file compression enabled for the drive that the game is installed on?

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    No compression on any drive. No indexing either. Windows Search is disabled entirely as well. Zero programs running in the background other than NVCP, down to 40 processes which is as low as I can go and realistically still use stuff. There is nothing else to use the SSD or HDD while gaming, and all others game run fine on either drive. Do you have any clue as to whether or not NVCP/inspector can change any settings for DX12 UWP apps like Forza? I've tried multiple things and it doesn't seem like the game is changed in any way like other DX11/DX9 games on steam. I thought maybe it was a shader cache thing, but I don't know if that can be turned off for these titles because of the interaction (or lack thereof?) between NVCP and UWP apps.

EDIT - Here is the MSIAB chart of an 8 minute race on Rio. 4k with max settings except MSAA at 2x, max possible cars on hardest difficulty. The race was absolutely full of stutters, so much so that I hit multiple walls because of almost second long stutters and ended up in 10th place. I can normally breeze through and win in 1st by a mile on X1.

http://imgur.com/a/uYBGJ

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

5. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Sorry for double posting, but I finally managed to fix it! At least for my system and my issues with this game. Dozens and dozens of video tweaks did nothing, OS tweaks did almost nothing. I finally decided to mess with the audio settings in Apex. Changed the audio quality from the default "medium" down to "low" and the game runs as smooth as glass! I just finished 6 free play races in a row with a locked 60FPS@4k and zero stutters! The game kind of sounds like it is inside of a tin can now, but that is a small price to pay for everything else working perfectly.

EDIT - Don't have Horizon 3 yet as I'm waiting for the demo, but maybe this could apply to both games? Worth a try for people with stutters? I also tried turning the audio quality setting in Apex up to high but that made things even worse than default.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Apparently forcing Prefer Max Performance in Forza Horizon 3 has fixed the performance issues for some people so make sure you have that enabled too.

7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Always had that on, but nice to know. Also been seeing reports about HT being funny with FH3, hoping they will patch that.

EDIT - Good gosh. I just don't care about this game any more. Nothing that fixes it one time persists through a reboot, and the thing that worked last boot doesn't work on the next one! Ack! I've probably spent more than 30 hours troubleshooting this junk and less than 5 actually playing it! I've tried everything I can think of. Shader cache on/off, threaded optimization on/off, page file off/system managed/10GB, stock clocks on all parts/all parts OC'd, changing the .exe priority, any and all in game settings, several different driver versions with totally clean installs, freaking reformat of Win 10, playing offline after pulling out my ethernet cable, all kinds of core affinity stuff including the FH3 fix people are using, and many more I can't recall right now since my brain is fried.

Stutters no matter what. Any car. All tracks. Highest settings. Lowest settings. All dynamic settings! I'm flabbergasted at how badly these 2 Forza games can perform on superior PC hardware versus the ancient X1 hardware. Can't wait for Civ VI to come along and eat all of my game time. :nerd:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  8. andressergio

andressergio Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1080Ti HOF SLI
    can't believe this has no 3440x1440 21:9 support...Forza Horizon 3 yes

9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i don';t have any issue with this game, and i haven;t touched the control panel even, super smooth game to me.

10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Well, I'm glad that it does actually work for you. I have moved on to playing Civ VI with my friends, so I don't mess around with this game any more. I sure hope their next attempt at a PC game is a real DX12 engine that has less issues for people without the newest hardware.

11. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Same here and my system is hardly cutting edge. It played great even when I was still using my R9-270X card. I just left it on Dynamic optimization and it looked and played great.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  12. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    What a game!
    Looks great, plays great.

Is this game singleplayer only, cause i can't find multiplayer options ?

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I've just done my first install of W10Pro 64bit, upgrade from W7U 64bit on my laptop to test W10 using the MS upgrade tool.

Laptop specs;

Clevo p150em 15" laptop
    i7 3920xm (no oc)
    GTX680m 4GB (no oc)
    Onboard Realtek sound
    16GB ram
    512GB Crucial SSD
    330watt Dell customised power-supply

Fully updated W10, no tweaks, Nvidia 376.33 driver (v-sync off, max power, high-quality), played with X360 wired pad.

This game runs fine, very occasional very minor stutter only. Runs at 60fps. 1920x1080 all default settings. Win10 non-tweaked. (untouched basically).

The only problem I see with this game is horizontal lines of corruption in the videos inc intro. Otherwise smooth experience. Impressed for free product. Not impressed that Killer Instinct is 44GB, wtf...

14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    it's a great game, and great that it runs smoothly on ur laptop.

15. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Yeah, this game's performance is great especially considering GTX680m, it's running as good as an X1 at least.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Isnt the 680m just a gtx660 desktop? What settings, low? These graphs shows card is struggling really bad.

[​IMG]

17. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    At default settings. That chart is probably running the game maxed-out. At default settings 1920x1080 I get around 60fps. Also, my card is the more expensive 4GB, not 2GB.

18. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    This benchmark has been run with 8xMSAA which unsurprisingly saps performance.

Turn10 can pat themselves on the back for their optimization. I've bought the premium bundle to support that kind of effort. Superb performance really, with 4xMSAA, rest maxed.

Visually speaking the verdict is not quite as glowing. It is sadly too conservative of an upgrade over the base Xbox One version. Though I understand Apex has never been meant as a full-fledged Forza Motorsport game on PC, but rather as a quick tech-demo and a good way for Turn10 to refine their engine for DX12.

19. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Undying, I just checked my laptop's settings, they are;

Dynamic Render Quality - High
    Dynamic Optimisation - High
    Force Resolution - On
    Resolution - 1920x1080

As far as I can tell, there are no other gfx options in-game (apart from show fps). Every other option is default.

My Nvidia control panel settings are;

High quality
    V-sync - off
    Threaded Optimisation - Auto
    Power Max
    Single-display
    Application controlled AA + AF

By my reckoning, it's running as good as an Xbox One. No doubt Nvidia have worked on their drivers and I'm sure Apex has been patched.

I will say though, Forza Horizon is a totally different kettle of fish...

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Forza Horizon is not a static track like Apex is. Also Apex doesn't use the encryption Horizon does.

Turn off dynamic settings and it opens up the advanced options.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017