Thinking about delidding

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by stereoman, Sep 20, 2016.

1. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Been looking into delidding my 4790k cos i'm still not 100% happy with my temps, currently running at 4.6ghz 1.26v vcore and my temps are hitting 70+ on some cores after 10 mins of Aida, anyway I ordered some CL Ultra from OCUK and was going to use the vice method to remove the IHS but unfortunately my dad failed to mention his vice is broken so now i'm looking at purchasing a Delid-Die-Mate tool but the price seems a bit steep, £70 including delivery although I figure I could probably resell it once i'm finished, anyway yeah any advice, is it worth it?

Here's a screesnhot of ADIA results, basically if delidding will let me hit anywhere between 4.8 and 5ghz i'll be happy but not sure about the tool £70 is a lot, maybe I should buy a cheap vice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Isnt the easier solution just to get a beefier cooling? We can probably think one or two good for the job.

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    What I've read regarding the delidding,its well worth it to do on CPU which doesn't have soldered IHS like is i7-5xxx or 6xxx(6700k can be delidded)

Many people reports around 10-15°C difference and I'm still surprised by yours temps there on yours

I think on yours Predator loop main problem can be supplied radiator as many people said that

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

4. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Already using EK Predator 360 integrated into full water loop, before that I was using Corsair h100 in push/pull, the chip just seems to run really hot, if I dial in a 1.3 vcore i'm looking at 80+ degrees easy, I have heard people can expect to drop 15 to 20 degrees by delidding and replacing the crappy intel tim with CL Ultra,

that being said it's not a bad chip i'm running 4.6ghz completely stable at 1.26v, i'd just like to push it a bit more.

5. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Yeah I don't think there's anything wrong with the radiator, as I say it's always been a hot chip even with my h100, I think delidding will probably sort it out but I don't know if I can justify £70 for a delid tool, at this point I think i'll probably pick up a cheap vice, i've watched a few vids on youtube and it seems fairly straight forward.

Also if it was the radiator it would probably effect my GPU as well but that doesn't go above 42 degrees even when gaming so yeah I think its chip.

6. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

But still on EK Predator I would expect lower temps,assume are you cooling GPU too through the EK Predator ?

Don't tell me anything about the H100i,mine failed and went back to air and now I'm very happy,tweaked the case air flow and temps dropped again

[​IMG]

Yes agree those i7-4790k runs bit hot too for my liking,have run just at 4.6GHz on daily basis as 4.7GHz required too 1.31-1.32v and temps went beyond 80's on my H100i

And regarding delidding,I would do that there every day if I could too on my 5820k,on 4790k I've done that as I've that chip for short period of time

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    42C when you game that's very nice temperature,my Titan X Hybrid will peak somewhere in high 50's under load and fan I'm running on that just bellow 1300RPM

I've run too my 4790k and my temps under heavy load at 4.6GHz at 1.26v has been in 70's and that's with low ambient temperature at 16C

If you could do that alone without the needing the delid tool then you will save money for sure,you should be able to do that,saw few videos how to do it and I've been confident I would do that too

Yes agree if rad has been bad then GPU temps will be affected

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

9. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Yeah just watched that it's a good video, not much of a drop tho 6 degrees, I did noticed EK do a naked mounting kit, maybe if I add that into the mix I could expect maybe 10 degree drop, it's fairly cheap as well like £4.00, my only reservation with that is the fear of crushing the core, but if it allows me to run 1.3 vcore might be worth the risk.

10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    5-6C is well worth it effort as you will be in low 70's and maybe you will be in low 60's with bit more luck there

If you will be using CLU then you should gain extra few C on the end

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

11. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Yeah I think i'll pick up a cheap vice tomorrow and delid it, see how it goes with just replacing the IHS afterwards if I don't see a significant drop in temps then i'll probably order the EK naked kit anyway i'll keep you updated cheers for the advice.

12. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Do you have any links with EK naked kit for 6800k?. I havent been able to locate.

13. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

X99 chips I'm pretty sure those have soldered IHS and due this you can't delid those chips

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

14. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

In my link to the video posted above, he has a nice tool that removed the IHS by budging it sideways 1mm both sides. The removal process seems rather safe and simple. But you are correct, it is soldiered on. He proves it by delidding a 10 core i7 6950k!! Risky business, but with his method, it seems quite safe and I am wondering myself now if this will help me gain stability @ 4.6 or higher cpu speeds. So back to the post at hand, is there anyone that has made a naked kit for broadwell as I understand the cpu retention is a bit dodgy without somesort of larger surface contact or modification etc..

Hope this helps!

Thanks, David

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2016
  15. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi David

If you are read Der8auer response on few forums,he will be not selling this kit,yes you can do that at home and risking 6800k

I know only der8auer regarding that and if you are interested please register on hwbot,he post there very often and he should be able to help you

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=158331

Regarding if this help you achieve higher speeds and better stability,this depends,if its done correctly you should have better temps and you can push chip bit further without the worrying go with better cooling

My friend tried to delid his E5-1650v3 chip which is same as 5820k and can be OC as 5820k,he failed miserably,this chip I've pulled from workstation in our work and has been test chip which we are used for all sort test

I would speak with der8auer there regarding that

I'm able to run 4.6GHz at 1.31v still on air and temps are on PKG at 68-70C and last time tried 4.7GHz is possible,but I think I will need around 1.36-1.37v at least for that frequency

If you want have better stability and achieve higher OC,I think you will need to invest bit more money to better cooling,CLC or AIO are not made for that,you want at least good custom loop or good AIO like EK Predator or Swiftech H240 which seems is better than EK

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hi there 6700k can be delidded,but sadly not our X99 can't be easy as Skylake,as per yours above video this can end with cry and you will risk chip,you will see there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you plan on keeping the chip until a suitable replacement comes along, delidding can be well worth it. Just be careful and follow the guides.

18. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

I was thinking about making a custom watercooler but I have ANTEC kuhler h20 1250 AIO kit. it has 3 pumps and push pull configuration on 240mm radiator. My package temp never exceeds 79C in cpu stress tests. At most in gaming and other CPU tasks the temps hardly exceed 52C. At normal state the CPu temp is 24C. How much cooler could a custom loop really deliver? I think if I delidd I would get the same results more or less. No?

19. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Yours temps are OK,idle temps are great,full load temps are too OK if those CPU stress are like Prime,RealBench,IBT or AIDA FPU etc

How much custom loop will help you with better temps,hard to say,maybe you will gain around 5-8°C maybe nothing,there is lots of variables and lots buts and ifs,mostly people go with water cooling as water cooling due the looks,then quietness and then performance,many people on custom WC loop gained with better temps and they can push more voltage on their chips

Yes I think so with delid you can shave around 5-15°C from temps,but this is CPU dependent,with some you can gain as above 5-15°C and with some 4-8°C at most which is still great result if you are ask me

What is better,not sure,you need to decide,if you are willing take the risk,then I would go with delid there:)

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

20. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Delid it, Haswell gets hot! When I delid my 4770K I saw an 8C-11C drop in temps under phase.

Now its under my custom loop at 4.7Ghz 1.19v I hit low 70s with Prime95 27.7 (thats the one with AVX) Should really test with 26.6 and see a more realistic temp.

Though I did loop Firestrike Extreme the other day and saw mid 50s.

I have (I think) Thermal grizzly on die and MX4 on IHS, need to drain my loop again, I want to take my block apart and clean it, then redo the paste on die and IHS with Thermal Grizzly on both, might shave a couple more degrees off ;)

Edit

Just did a quick 10min run of 26.6 and saw temps about 6-7C lower than with 27.7 Max temp was 67C, lowest temp was 63C.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016