BioShock Infinite

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by S†v0r, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Played BioShock Remastered for 2-3 hours today then another crash to the desktop. This is getting very tiresome... and predictable!

And, yes, it was while the game was saving so there's definitely some problem there if not for the game in general then certainly on my system. I do save frequently, however, perhaps every 2-3 minutes and on alternate save slots so I only lose a few minutes progress (since these crashes result in the loss of the save slot I was attempting to save to).

Could be some kind of memory leak I suppose as the game is still 32-bit and it's the ancient Unreal Engine 2 albeit heavily modified to support DX11. I guess running the game at 4K, even though it holds a perfect 60 fps at all times, might be problematic for the engine with its 2-4 GB memory limitations.

2. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Sorry pal, nobody believe this cock and bull story. My 1.5GHz 980 Ti (= 2x 970) drops under 60 FPS in DX:MD at 1080p Ultra w/o MSAA. So you must be playing at, what, 10 FPS? :rolleyes:

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Well, if this was the Mankind Divided thread... it'd be the place to discus. But, it's not.

4. jiminycricket

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I kill trolls wherever I can find them.

5. ayakaza

ayakaza Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6800 XT
    There may be some downgrade in visual but for this the remastered is much smoother and does not crash

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Off topic.

But, who's to say he was trolling.
    I can run Mankind Divided at 1080p at a solid 60fps. And I did from start to finish. At a mix of High/Very High settings
    I personally think Nixxes did a fantastic job on the port, looks good... plays great.

Now... how about that there BioShock...

7. jiminycricket

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I am.

2 mpixel (1920x1080) vs. 5 mpixel (3440x1440)

High/Very High vs. Ultra

Big difference.

And no, 970 cannot lock 60 FPS at 1080p High/Very High (Cista Ctvrt, TF29), friend has one and he has tried. One of the most unoptimized games of 2016. Looks like Hitman: Absolution, runs worse than TW3 w/HairWorks.

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    While you try at making this about you and your little guilt trip to excuse a lazy port job and while you maybe...sorry(tf?) for whatever reason, it doesnt change that this is a subpar port that still suffers from the same issues and in some cases worse problems:

Missing animations for aiming down sights, broken and lower quality audio, unnecessary and poorly changed textures and models (usually plant life), lack of ao, lighting is worse overall and animations even on bodies are still 30fps.

I dont care if I get something for free, lazy workmanship is lazy workmanship. If you want to give your work away free of cost to some or all people, then thats on you, that was your choice, no one owes you anything and it certainly doesnt omitted you and your work from being criticized.

Why are gamers such pussies, afraid to hold developers to task? Why is it considered a negative (hate) to be critical of digital entertainment? Publishers and devs know they can get away with lazy work just by throwing gamers a bone every once and a while and this is why games are getting worse in terms of gameplay (or lack of rather).

I cant wait for MW1 remaster to be released and see the double standards of gamers. We already saw it with the Resident Evil Remasters (which piss all over the BioShock collection). Capcom was truthful to the originals in every way, but that still wasnt enough.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Am I the only one that's bugged by the mouse problems? :)

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    No, we are many! :(

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Wow, actually managed to play BioShock Remastered for around 3 hours late night without a single crash, i.e. I got to exit the game of my own accord!!! Mind you, I did disable D3DOverrider triple buffering for both BioShock.exe and BioShock2.exe (it was working with the game as I heard the sound when the game loaded up). So perhaps it was D3DOverrider that was triggering the crashes? It's too early to say for sure but I'll post here if the game continues to be stable from now on.

Kind of annoying that the developers didn't bother to rename the game executables to something different like BioShockHD.exe or something as I had already had to manually tweak the NVIDIA per-game profiles since I was forcing AO and AA for the original games, which are both still installed (IMO, forced MSAA + SGSSAA offers superior IQ to the cheap FXAA used in the remasters).

12. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    crash and then all key mappings are reset, who tests this crap?

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, that is a really silly and annoying glitch. Not quite sure why the game resets the options when it crashes but for me that meant I was always loading the game up to 5K settings with AA and v-sync turned off as well as most of the subtitle options. Ended up having to set the BioShock.ini file in C:\Users\Darren\AppData\Roaming\BioShockHD to read-only to prevent this since the game is terribly prone to crashing every 2-3 hours on my system. This does mean that the golden reels I'm finding for the director's commentaries are not saved as they are part of this file.

14. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sad was so looking forward to playing the remastrered version, which has ended up being a crash fest. I also had an issue where Bioshock 2 would not use the drs resolutions correctly and would open incorrectly, but Bioshock Remastered did not have this issue. having to manually edit ini file should not have to be done, as this can cause even more issues. also why are there no advanced graphics settings?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  15. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    Yeah, that is because they pretty much put most of the original assets through a **** ass upscaler. Talk about a lazy port.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    *sigh* :(

I think I'll uninstall it for the time being and finish Deus Ex instead.

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What?

The Remake of res1 they no longer had the original assets for and it was deemed to costly as it would have amounted to creating a whole new game to recreate from scratch, Rez0 they still had alot of the original high rez assets, created more where needed and then created new 3d models for the game. They ported those game to Windows, ps360, p4 and x1 from the gamecube.

For two titles created back in 2002 and only available on one platform untill now, Id hardly call that lazy.

Just play the original version and enjoy better audio, and sfx, mouse control, controller support, AO and proper shadows, 0 crashes and download the physics fix that only requires a 1 time use that simply modifies the exe and its done. Works on win10, 8.1 and 7.

Everything you could possibly need is here if you have any issues:http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/BioShock

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  18. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    Yeah, but you wrote "Remaster" first.
    I just assumed you were talking about the HD remasters (since it is pretty much nonsense to compare a remaster with a remake).

19. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Remaster, Remake... Im comparing two ips being brought back for a new gen and platforms and the effort put into one set vs the other.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    You really dont like this version right? :)
    Been ages since I launched the original version but I only think I had problems with the mouse and sound.