AMD ZEN 8-core Summit Ridge available in February 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Surprised - hell, no!
    In anticipation - no!
    Bored by hype - yes!

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Stay Zen :)

it will be only in feb. :)

4. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    If it does 5Ghz on water, we have a winner :D

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I'll be building my next rig around Zen and Vega, not a problem with waiting.

I'd just like to be able to overclock the GPU a bit more this time round.
    Not that that's the way the markets going.....quite the opposite.

6. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Eagerly awaiting release and reviews. I'm really hoping for success and not disappointment. It doesn't have to beat or even equal Intel's newest to be a success for me. It just has to be a winner in it's price range.

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I don´t know if i´m the only one but i´m getting tired of waiting for Zen to release. I want to build a new rig and i want to see how good Zen is but i don´t know if i can wait another 5 or 6 months for it...

Just release the damn thing!!!

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    So I am waiting with my build until feb then :) Oh ok. Well I'll get the case before that! So I can have something fun lol. I started waiting when skylake released I can do bit more with a solid month said at least.

9. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    I wish my i7-920 wasn't so VALUE, this CPU is 8yrs old and it's already 2016 but hardly any games (other than the open worlds) tax it that much... Sure it's OC'd, but just via air, but man this CPU is just amazing. I'd like to upgrade to a Zen, but I just don't have a need yet - and with so many console games having low CPU requirements, there isn't a need for a faster CPU.

I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna run this rig into the ground until something fails, because I see no reason to get a new CPU or motherboard at this point: USB 2.0 still suits 99.99 of my needs, and with the addition of SSD's this PC is still a damn good gaming machine! Love to my R9 290X, without it gaming would be impossible :p

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    If you play any newer games you would see benefit from sandy bridge upwards tbh. So Zen could be great upgrade.

11. rpro

rpro Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    i hope it gonna be under 300-350 euros tag.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Ugh and I was thinking the end of October was a long wait... I really want to get a new build started, but I don't want to commit to anything because I don't know if Zen will be good enough. My current motherboard is having power draw issues, so I'm getting hard resets more and more often. It's getting kind of irritating.

So just to be clear - the article seems to imply the northbridge will be a separate chip. Is that true?

13. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Dont put higher expectations in new Amd cpus.
    Its a low level company now,so better to have low level expectations than higher.To not be disapointed. :)

When they will be ready,then the cpus will be on consumer market.

14. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I can't see them doing a separate Northbridge seeing as they already merged it in their APU's a long time ago

15. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    Oh man, in February people are working hard to make up for the December expenses (by people I mean me) which means that AMD's product target audience are not the value seekers which means the CPU is going to be expensive. How about that for a logic? :)

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm not expecting AMD to make something that will outperform Skylake. I am, however, expecting something to have the same performance-per-watt within 10% of Skylake. If I can get that (at a reasonable price) then I'm sold.

At the very least, I hope to see Summit Ridge sold outside of OEM companies. I don't intend to get one, but it'll be interesting to see what motherboards become available. I intend to make an upper-middle-end mini ITX gaming rig. Since this system will be used strictly for gaming, the only things that will take up a lot of space are the CPU cooler and GPU. As long as I can get a mini ITX board that is a modest overclocker, supports surround sound, and 4x SATA ports, I'm good. I don't really care about anything else.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  17. negchampa

negchampa Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX580 SLI
    Why is it always more bad news from AMD? When the hell are they ever going to release a decent product on time. They are always playing catch-up. When this is released SkyLake -E will be out and it will destroy ZEN, on top of that Intel has enough room to under cut AMD no matter what the price of Zen turns out to be. Vega will be destroyed by Nvidia's 1080ti.

I really want competition, Intel and Nvidia have been gouging customers for too long. But being an enthusiast I will always go for what ever company puts out the fastest gear, period.

AMD really need to re-focus their strategy and it that means dropping out of some markets so be it, but at this rate they will not be around for munch longer.

18. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    Will be interesting to see how the Zen does, i was planning to wait until next year with the big upgrade anyways.
    I don't really care if Zen can't compete up there with Intel's line of enthusiast cpu's, since i will be upgrading after what my wallet allows me to. :D

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Would you rather have another Phenom x4 episode? AMD learned the hard way that they need time to make sure things are polished. Also, they don't really have much leverage in producing chips quicker. This delay is seriously annoying but there's not much they can do about it, unless companies like Global Foundries steps up their production.

Some could argue that you are your own problem. You buy the best simply because it's the best, but not actually what you need. And so the weaker competitor gets nothing, when they could have otherwise used that money to produce something that could do what you want. Yet ironically, you didn't buy the best, because when it comes to Intel, your wallet is the limit. They make processors better than what you currently have, so why didn't you get one of those?

Anyway, the issue is simple - why buy a 500HP sports car when you can't even control it? Why drive something so fast if you never take it on the track? You already spent a lot of money on something you'll never take advantage of, so why not spend more? For people like me, I buy AMD because I don't need anything better. My CPU is a real piece of crap by today's standards and yet it still does everything I want it to, albeit, with a lot of heat. Yes, as of today, AMD has no CPU offerings that are good enough for enthusiasts. I would not currently recommend any AMD CPU for any high-end system. I'm willing to bet that Skylake will be better than Zen. But even if that's the case, that doesn't mean Zen isn't worth getting.

20. Kaill

Kaill Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    If it is the claimed 40% increase over my FX8350 i will be happy with the upgrade.