NVidia Inspector 1.9.7.6 + FPS limit 59.7 = microstutter

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by 2mg, Aug 31, 2016.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Start MSI ab and have it running in the background, now enable OSD monitoring so RTSS appears, now open RTSS and add a game to the list, config it there.. Or just set it in global profile.
    Also enable 64bit encoder if you're planing to record with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1nQVeX_jGM

2. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    thanks -Tj- but do i really MSI:AB? i always uninstall MSI:AB & i just using RTSS running behind the background so that's the reason behind y i can't limit the frames?

i tried running MSI:AB & RTSS in the background, set 60 fps on RTSS but yet my dota 2 & FIFA 15 still gave me screen tearing especially the worst in FIFA 15.

FYI, i removed the frame limiter on NVIDIA Profile Inspector. don't have luck with RTSS at all.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  3. Orbmu2k

Orbmu2k Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I have a 60Hz GSYNC UHD Monitor, tested 30,40,45,50,55 FPS in DX9/DX11, with GSYNC on/off, VSYNC on/off, fullscreen and windowed. It starts limiting only above the refreshrate 80, 90 etc...

I checked the export and it seems to be just fine here, can you give more detail which settings you changed on which profile, and what application you assigned on a custom profile?

[​IMG]

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    hah well no wonder it doesn't work then. RTSS needs msi ab to work properly.

And force vsync on top to remove screen tearing.

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Hm, weird. When I had a 144Hz Gsync display, there were no problems with fps-locks below that refreshrate, e.g. 120fps with limiter v2.

It also works well with my current display that doesn't have Gsync:
    [​IMG]

But I noticed that the actual value is not always accurate, e.g. it was suddenly different when using 1080p upscaling instead of my native WQHD resolution.
    Maybe it is related to your 4k resolution?

It seems to affect only profiles that have been created by user.
    Example: I create a profile for testexe.exe. When I export this profile, there is no exe-name linked in it, the profile name isn't saved either:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
    <ArrayOfProfile>
      <Profile>
        <ProfileName />
        <Executeables />
        <Settings />
      </Profile>
    </ArrayOfProfile>
    Another issue would be that Nvidia is setting up a lot of flags for most profiles that come with the driver. Is it not possible to save them when exporting the profile? It seems only settings are saved that are changed by user.
    So e.g. you can't make a backup of the profile if you want to try out what happens when you delete it.

Btw: I just noticed that it's not possible to link ModernUI Apps (Metro) with their exe-name. Instead, we need to link a folder-name (of course not Inspector's fault).
    This can be done by modifying an exported profile with an editor.
    For example, it could look the following for the game Minion Rush:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
    <ArrayOfProfile>
      <Profile>
        <ProfileName>Minion Rush</ProfileName>
        <Executeables>
          <string>GAMELOFTSA.DespicableMeMinionRush*</string>
        </Executeables>
        <Settings />
      </Profile>
    </ArrayOfProfile>
    (wildcards work and make sense because the folder name can change with game's version number)
    Maybe it would make sense to offer an option in the Profile Inspector to link folder names instead of exe name or exe absolute path?
    But probably not very important, since important ModernUI games like Gears of Wars should always have a working profile by default from Nvidia.

Btw: Thanks for the improvements with the Profile Inspector, its speed and responsiveness compared to old Inspector versions are really nice!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  6. 2mg

2mg Member

GPU:
    Quick question:

If limit@59fps + TripBuf VSync@60hz reduces input lag but causes each 1/60 frame to "stutter", why even use limiter@60fps with VSync, doesn't Vsync automatically limit framerate to 60 by itself?

7. Orbmu2k

Orbmu2k Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    my DVBViewer profile is also custom created, it seems this only happens if you have not changed a single setting, thanks for the hint i will take a look into it.

if you choose "export all customized profiles" you can also only select the single profile, and theres a checkbox "include predefined settings". ;-)

i dont have win10 but i think i can make free input to get working as well

8. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Ah, that's why. :)

Didn't know that, thanks!

:)

I checked 4k with DSR, still fps-limit works without problems below refreshrate (if the difference to refreshrate is at least three frames).

9. 2mg

2mg Member

GPU:
    Self-bump for clarification?

10. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    No. Vsync synchronizes the timing of frames and monitor refresh, so that each frame being sent to the monitor is complete (instead of sending half a frame and causing tearing). Vsync = Video Sync

At 70 fps on a 60hz monitor, it will appear to be limiting the framerate (depending on the vsync mode, it probably IS limiting the framerate).

At 59 fps on a 60hz monitor, it is showing 1 less frame than the monitor can display. So 1 out of the 60hz can end up showing the same frame, because the gpu is not sending anything new.

Anyone who knows more, feel free to correct me :)

11. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    V-Sync = vertical synchronization

12. 2mg

2mg Member

GPU:
    But does Vsync limit game engine's framerate to 60, or does it simply pick every 60 frames out of your XYZ prepared/buffered frames? Simply put, does vsync also work as frame limiter per se?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  13. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
  14. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    So how to enable Frame Rate Limiter v2 Control on Other in Nvidia Inspector Profiler.

The default is 0x00000008 , if I have Pascal do I need to change anything ?

Do I need to enable Vertical Sync Smooth AFR Behavior ?

And Frame Rate Limiter Limit to 60 fps ( Frame Rate Limiter v2 ) or such, I'm using 59 Hz in some games.

Is Frame Rate Limiter v2 is better to use than RTSS ? When I use Rate Limiter v2 or the ones on RTSS I need to enable normal Vsync in game or in NVCP ?

15. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Personally best setting for me it's: Fps lock to 60 and Adaptive sync enabled. ( 59 causes rare hitches for me)

To lock fps best options are:
    Frame limiter V2 or RSTT... The latter reduce a bit performance but it seems more stable, I'm still experimenting on this...
    Would be great someone to test with FCAT to have objective results.

16. domyx80

domyx80 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3gb oc
    I just wanted to say , thank you for the knowledge this forum brings .
    I have now found the perfect fps limiter to limit games to 30fps without any stutter or any other third party programs , and no input lag.

If you own a kepler 600 series or 700 series this is the right settings for you:
    1. uninstall RTSS or any other third party fps limiter
    2. download nvidia inspector 2.1.2.15
    nvidia inspector settings:

frame rate limiter : 30 fps (frame rate limiter v2)
    maximum pre-rendered frames : 1
    vertical sync : use the 3d application setting (or force on)
    vertical sync tear : standard
    frame rate limiter 2 control : 0x00000020 PS_FRAMERATE_LIMITER_2_CONTROL_ALLOW_ALL

Finally after years and years of stuttering mess, now its perfect 30 fps console like smooth with no lag and no RTSS.

17. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    All good but it's 30 Fps :\ compare to 60 Fps it's day and night

18. jiminycricket

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Uh you're doing nothing to remove tearing though. Consoles use adaptive v-sync or adaptive v-sync (half refresh).

19. domyx80

domyx80 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3gb oc
    No screen tearing because you use vsync ingame or force on.
    vertical sync : use the 3d application setting (or force on)
    vertical sync tear : standard

20. jiminycricket

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Seems like an overcomplicated way to achieve half refresh V-Sync. And I'd imagine the input lag is quite heavy, though probably less noticeable with a controller.