GeForce Experience 3.0 Is Released - Now Requires Mandatory Login

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Kyrat

Kyrat Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G
    Installed and working fine! All games set to maximum graphics!! :D
    Nvidia FTW!!! :D

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  3. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Funny this.. Evga just pulled the same s@#t with Precision X 6.0.5. you can't no longer install it without Name, email and serial # of GPU.

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Funny that those who this app is most useful are excluded with an age restriction when trying to create an Nvidia account.
    Having the game profiles available should not require a mandatory login.

5. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    Got a 1070 two weeks ago, now nVidia is pulling a Razer on us.

Hint to nVidia: the only thing I am still using from Razer is the Sphex mouse pad, I dumped the Deathadder and the Blackwidow soon after the Razer Synapse release.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They announced this was happening nearly a year ago.

7. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    It's just a grotty attempt to monetise the application by sharing data with 'partners' and to harvest email addresses. Nvidia should be ashamed.
    The new application looks awful and I have no intention of using this to 'optimise' any games or to download drivers. I only want to use shadowplay and now I can't see any way to turn it off and on. Thinking about uninstalling for good now.

8. Kyrat

Kyrat Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G
    I don't know why problem is this account creation? You create a fake e-mail address and write a random age and done.. Not so hard.

9. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    I'd like to understand what you're trying to say

What's the age limit? Same as emails? 13+? That's not a bad thing, but you're wrong that "is most useful" to that demographic, I think you're a little mistaken about the gamer demographic......Most of us are well over 20, 30 and even 40+

The game profiles always required the internet. The login part isn't really a big deal. one can always stick with older versions of GFE anyway.
    Personally I never use the profiles anyway as they are often the complete OPPOSITE of OPTIMAL lol. I'm sure many have noticed this.

I only turn the services on when I want to use shadowplay to record for my kid's Youtube channel, the rest of the time it is off.

Ok I saw this after I wrote the above. So you're saying they changed the GUI and you can't turn it off/on anymore?
    In that case that does indeed SUCK big time.

Going to make a restore point and install it just to check it out.

10. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    Nearly one year ago I was still using the R9 290 so I did not care much about nVidia news, especially since the Pascal GPUs were not out at the time.

11. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    I think there is an option to do it in general settings - share. You can turn the ability to stream and share off here. Presumably that's Shadowplay too.

Check out the extra scheduled tasks it has added too!
    I had to delete all these tasks manually. I don't want some automated messing with my settings, so I had to hide all the games and delete all the scan folders.

12. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    WTF is this crap? I just installed it and Shadowplay isn't even there anymore??? Not only can I not turn it on or off, it's simply not there. No options for it either so I'm sure I'm not missing it.

edit: omg ok I found it, all under share. Eeeww I do not like this. Will be reverting to previous version immediately.

13. expo

expo Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 / 3.5GB + 0.5GB
    another platform to be hacked and get your info

I don't use it though, so I'm not really bothered.

14. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Where are you seeing extra scheduled tasks?

15. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    In Task Scheduler or, specifically, through CCleaner listing the tasks. I noticed Nvidia had added about 4 or 5 of them, which I immediately deleted.

I used CCleaner to view and delete.

16. Kyrat

Kyrat Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G
    Why rollback? This overlay function is great. You ingame set the recording or other options. Why problem is this?
    Steam have this overlay too and other many many programs too..
    This is the future my friend... :3eyes:

17. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Nowadays almost everything requires log in with an email. Evga's Precision X does this since long time. I'm pretty sure all companies are trying to do this. The reason for this is monetization and control of the user base. It's something controversial of our times. I'm not a tinfoil hat theorist nor I believe the solution to everything is unplug the internet cable all together. This sits in the grey zone. It depends on how companies using your emails. (ofc you can always create a fake email for those purposes if it makes you feel "safer"). Marketing is a great art for those who can master it. It can really boost sales and profits that's why companies push it so hard. Don't be surprised if AMD does it too in some time in future. Everyone does it or wants to do it. The email address became our second police ID in our days. That being said I don't understand why ppl overreact on smth like this. It happens for years now if not decades. This one is free and optional so I don't see any problem for now.

18. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    I use CC also, thanks for the info

Seems there's no "allow desktop recording" which is a no go for me, as It means I can't record No Man's Sky (which my 10yr old does for our youtube channel on the weekends).
    Some things about this new version I like, but mostly a big MEH

19. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC

and therein lies the problem. Competing overlays and unnecessary complexity causing issues and performance degradations.

How many overlays are we going to have? Steam and Afterburner and now GFE? It's not uncommon for overlays to not work together and I have seen the issue of GFE causing my card not to clock down if it was left on post game.

Too much guff, too much data mining and if this is the future then prepare your teats for you are about to be milked.

20. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Err no. Not everything is better just because it changes. I use steam overlay, I use shadowplay you're not telling me anything I don't know. I think you're misunderstanding. I'm not new to any of this. But the new interface is not very good and it obliges you to do certain things and precludes others. Not good.

Shadowplay is now non-separable from SHIELD streaming etc which means it's even more bloatware than it used to be, as before at least you could turn some services off.

Future? No, sometimes we take steps back before we move forward. You'll perhaps understand when you reach my age lol.

Totally agree. I don't even use Afterburner overlay anymore as it caused some serious crashing with some games. I can't remember when I first discovered that but I was only using it to keep an eye on things when I first installed my new 4gb 960, keep an eye on temps and memory etc. After I saw what it was doing I just turned it off.

Steam overlay is handy for fps counter (though I find it a bit small) but can also cause problems.

Am I missing the "allow desktop recording" or something similar? You seem to have spotted more than I have so far ;)

I guess I will just go back anyway, I don't want nor use streaming, my only use for GFE is shadowplay and now they've made that overly complicated by not separating it from Streaming/SHIELD.

I wonder if that's why I had to close steam to install it? The streaming thing must somehow connect to steam?