Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC GPU performance review updated with DirectX 12 results

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    I will be damned.. fury pro faster vs the 1080 at 1080p :)

3. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    And now the hype and lies about DX12 become more apparent. At least for this game it seems it's not doing much for performance. Bit of a disappointment that

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    on nvidia only, as for amd it is all good

5. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Thank you Hilbert! Great review. This games looks great.

6. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Keep in mind these tests are from benchmark, which isn't nearly as cpu dependant as gameplay itself is. Atleast for AMD the difference ingame is even bigger as you tend to get limited by driver overhead quite a bit.

7. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    It seems for now that it's a problem exclusive to nvidia HW.
    But the patch is still on preview/Beta, so things can improve.

Altough, the biggest promise of DX12 overall was not improve the GPU performance, yes they claim it would improve something, but nothing special.
    The big improvements would be using a ton of draw calls almost for free and better multi-core processing.
    So, probably getting GPU Bound don't really help to notice those improvements, and worse, Hilbert is using a Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition set to 4.4GHZ.
    we are talking of a CPU that most people don't have, so it's normal to not see any advantage on DX12 while using that type of beast.

Would be awesome if Hilbert could benchmark the game by disable some cores of it's i7 and simulate 2 cores/4 threads, 4 cores/4 threads and 4 cores/8 threads to better simulate the performance of the CPUs that most people would be getting and if people would take advantage on using DX12 CPU wise or not on those situations

Because doing the DX12 benchmarks like hilberts is doing hardly will show any advantage on the future ever..

Look at my system, it features low end equipment, my CPU have 7 years old, ROTT had a bad DX12 patch, but still on the open world areas, using DX12 never dropped me below 30fps, while on DX11, was easy get bottlenecked and get stuck at low 20's on the same sequences, as for the built-in benchmark didn't really show off those advantages on the game since it was mostly GPU Bound Benchmark, as in-game story was entirelly different which seems to be the exactly same situation in this game.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    These DX12 numbers for AMD cards are unreal!

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It seems to vary honestly. The benchmark shows pretty good gains but both JonasBeckman and Mere in the gaming thread report seeing either similar performance as DX11 or even a loss in Mere's case. Their using a Fury/Fury X respectively.

At this point though, I kind of feel like these gains for AMD are welcomely expected.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Looks like a broken game to me. They need to address the performance issues in this game. There is no excuse for this performance on either platform. This game does not even look that good.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You are right tho, it does seems broken. I bet even HH was surprised by these results. Still, its less broken on AMD.

Quantum Break anyone? :p

12. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    I don't know what kind of cpu they're running. But I atleast got rid of my lowered gpu usage and clocks due of AMD overhead that was causing bottleneck in city streets ingame. Overall the game is running a lot more stable under dx12. Average fps and max fps didn't really get up on massive scale.

13. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    all good.... what's all good? RX480 in DX12 just barely manages to edge above DX11 by 2-3 fps continuing trend that more recent AMD cards show less DX12 gains.

R9 290X = biggest DX12 gains.
    R9 390X = ok DX12 gains.
    Fury X = little DX12 gains.
    RX 480 = almost no DX12 gains.

Nvidias performance isn't too bad considering Deus Ex development heavily favored AMD (official website has big AMD logo and all).

When you take all that into consideration AMD performance is nothing to brag about.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I would hope so they pumped money into this game. Though HR was a GE title too and had issues on AMD cards.

15. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    The 980Ti just got crushed... damn

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This is the first time in any game that 980ti is not even in the top 5 cards.

17. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Look at that RX 480 closing in to the GTX 1070 :D

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Second. Ashes was first.

19. realmadrid

realmadrid Guest