The GTX 1070 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Just get a gaming no reason to spend the extra money unless you just need alil bit more default oc on the card in which you could probably easily attain by ocing it yourself in AB.

:infinity:I'm glad I got a X but If it were available at the time I'd get the gaming. Pretty much all the 1070's are minimal against one another for OC even with H20 it's mostly style and cooler cause most cards should almost perform the same or 1-3% if that difference unless it's a bad card.

2. amd7674

amd7674 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 OC
    Thank you for your feedback. I went with Asus Strix OC last night from a local store. I have 30 days return policy, so I have a piece of mind.

It came with Samsung memory and there is no coil whining. I only had a chance to play with it a little bit. Just run Heaven once to find out of box max core speed (2000Mhz).

Everything is fine, however I'm not big fun of the fans on the strix gpu. I find anything over 60% maybe 70% is a little too loud for my taste. I wonder if MSI Gaming GPU would be much quieter???

I will play with it more tonight.

3. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    The X has the same kinda loudness in my opinion even with 2 fans it can be heard in my case after getting to 60% it's not a big deal at all the cooling is great and I wear headphones anyways while gaming because I stream and record.

That's great out of the box to get 2000mhz mine only got 1946Mhz outta the box but I haven't come across anything it can't handle even on default oc which I'm keeping it on.

I wonder if dsr 4k has small text on a 4k monitor or is it regular size that you can see lol. My upload to my channel with Deus Ex Human Revolution you can barely see some in game subtitles and some of the pdas are almost micro, 2x dsr still kinda has the same problem.:pc1:

4. amd7674

amd7674 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 OC
    Thank you for feedback :)

So I played with the card's OC a little last night. I fixed issue (with someone's suggestion) where I had high 2D clock after running 3D apps/games, it would just get stuck at 1800Mhz. I had to uninstall the driver using DDU in safe mode. When swapping gpus (GTX 670 in my case) it is always good idea to reinstall drivers.

Using Heaven / FireStrike / TimeSpy the best I could get out of the card was +50 on core and +500 on RAM. (2050/9000) So it is not the greatest OC but I take free extra 5FPS LOL... During the demo's due to thermal throttling, I saw core to run anywhere from 2038 to 2000. However in my 30 minutes of BF1 (Ultra settings) DX11, 1080@75hz with adaptive vsync, the card was running at full 2050 with much lower temps. GPU usage was 100%. The fans were running at ~40% (silent) to keep the card around 60C. The only thing I might do (I have to check with Asus so I don't lose warranty) to reapply thermal paste (I have some MX-4 laying around).

If you are saying you can hear your fans at 60% and up, I won't bother with trying MSI card, which would cost me $50 more. Like you said we DO NOT need to OC this cards, as factory clocks are high enough. I'm gaming at 1080@75Hz, 1070 is already an overkill LOL... I think I will have more issues with my CPU bottlenecking (i.e. witcher 3) my GPU than the other way around. I wanted to buy 1070 as my last upgrade for my 3570k@4.5Ghz system. I'm planning to keep this for next 4 years or so and than build a new system including new GPU.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Anyone got experience with Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste?

Because my GTX 1070 with Accelero Xtreme 4 started out at 51C Max Load 3 weeks ago, and now it slowly creeps up to 58C. Not that those temps worry me, but i find it pretty odd.

I'm gonna take off the cooler next week and apply some Noctua NT-H1 instead. I used that on my GTX 680 as well, it seems to be more consistent.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    mx4 always worked great for me (better then artic silver 5).
    There should be better ones out i think, havent checked reviews in quite a while on that.

btw i hope its not your front fan filters full of dust :p

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    My PC is as clean as i keep myself and my room, so it's not dust related.

I think something is not working right with the MX-4 Pre-Applied paste.

Will see next week after i applied Noctua NT-H1. From what i remember it kept my GTX 680 at the same temp for nearly 2 years.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Yeah noctua is great, I applied it on cpu 3years ago and still have the same cpu temps.. Ok a little higher now, but I think I need to clean my H90 radiator again, been awhile.

9. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Using Thermal Grizzly gpu doesn't even smell 50c no matter what. :D

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The MX-4 looked strange... uhm watery and most of it was squeezed from between the Heatsink and GPU.

Anyways, i put it all back together again with Noctua NT-H1. So far the idle temp dropped from 28C to 25C, havn't tested any Load yet, but i gotta keep it on for a week or 3-4 to see if it changes really.

That being said, i reapplied the paste on my CPU yesterday as well which also has NT-H1, and it looked very healthy after a little over 2 years. So i doubt it's gonna turn out the same as with MX-4 ^^

Note to self: In the future remove preapplied paste and use NT-H1.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Little update, after playing Fortnite for a good 2 Hours it now peaks at 46C (Noctua NT-H1), this was 58C (Arctic MX-4) yesterday with the same Room Temperature.

Long live Noctua NT-H1 \o/

12. Autarch20

Autarch20 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX FE 1080
  13. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    :pc1:I got on the Battlefield 1 beta as well and man I can't DSR that game or have everything on Ultra and stay over 60fps. Only thing I turned down was Lighting down to high on 1080p res and everything was smooth as butter, damn snipers suck still in battlefield games. That's the first time I've had any issues with any game which may not bode well but it is a beta.

I still have yet to try Return to Mordor in 4kdsr Hi-res textures. And also about the sound over 60% it's not that bad but yeah save 50$ and I'm thinking it'll be 2-3 years for your system even with the 1070 upgrade. I'm probably gonna get the 1080ti later if there is one and sell this card for next year. Hopefully My tax return will cover it lol.

14. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Nice, that looks a lot better :)

16. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Hmm, maybe thats why i have high temps, i'm using a mx4 that's unsealed and at least one year old lol....

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Id say give Noctua NT-H1 a go, i been using it for years.

18. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Now that you shared your experience i will try it for sure.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    The top 3 are Grizzly kryonaut, gelid gc-extreme and prolimatech PK-3

20. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Hmm,ok thank you for your input. I'll order the Kryonaut then, kinda expensive but at least i can see how one of the best pastes behaves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.