Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Zen processors to only support Windows 10 and Unix

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Why would they add support to old OS that might actually require a lot more then we think.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No no no, you see all of us here write CPU drivers for the kernel. And we all know better.

(PS: Neither older versions of Linux, neither OSX will backport support for newer CPUs. I don't understand why everyone has a problem when Microsoft is doing what everyone else does).

3. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I can see them working with Windows 7, but win't support the new instructions and C1E/ power gating may be limited or not functional. Will also be detected as generic AMD/Intel CPU.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It's simple. Both Linux and OSX are free, and therefore there is nothing stopping such users from upgrading (unless you have some obscurely old hardware, in which case an upgrade won't be worth it anyway). Since the OSes are free, the developers have no incentive to screw over customers for the sake of change. OSX overall hasn't changed a whole lot for the past 15 years, and Linux offers freedom of choice (so if you don't like something, you can do something about it). Meanwhile, Windows charges you $100+ for a new OS that either does things that nobody asked for, is incredibly bloated, and intentionally leaves old customers behind in the hopes that they will upgrade.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Or, you know, just another fact that older software doesn't get updated necessarily for new hardware.

If a program stops supporting older operating systems, almost no one notices, but hey, if an OS doesn't continuously get updated, even though there's a new version of said OS, it's microsofts fault.

I feel like people really and truly do not understand this

If Steam had a huge update and they called it Steam 2.0, but you weren't "forced" to upgrade, by technicality, would you expect Valve to continue to release new updates for the old steam? If you said yes, why? Because you shouldn't. It's an old, outdated software, that obvious isn't getting updated anymore. So say a CPU comes out that keeps causing the old steam, but not the new updated steam, to crash, would you expect a fix? You shouldn't. Would they give one? Depends on the company and is possible, but they have no obligation to do so.

That's all that microsoft is stating here, they do not support the new CPUs on anything other then Windows 10, which doesn't mean it won't work, but it does mean IF there is a problem, they are not going to fix it, and they shouldn't, anything older then windows 10 is outdated software to be used on older hardware, it's the logical thing to do.

....OS X isn't free, and linux is forced to be free. But "free" has nothing to do with the topic at hand and you're just trying to pull something out of nowhere.

So, say you have OS X, the updates are free, i'll grant you, but it serves no difference between Microsoft and Apple in terms of supporting older hardware on their new versions of their operating systems. It being free has nothing to do with anything. Free, or not, you get a choice to stick with an older operating system, or upgrade to a newer one. One costing money, again, has nothing to do with anything, when it comes to the fact that support for the older operating system falls off. Free, or not free, changes nothing. I bought BF1942 in 2002, should i expect it to run great on my new hardware, and new operating system? no (not saying it doesn't), and why should i? so what if i paid them money? I paid them money for THESE system hardware requirements:

Spec Requirement
    Operating System Windows 98
    CPU/Processor 500 MHz Intel® Pentium® or AMD Athlon™ processor
    Memory 128 MB RAM
    Disk Space 1.2 GB free hard disk space
    Graphics Card 32 MB video card which supports Transform & Lighting and with DirectX 8.1 compatible driver
    Sound Card DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
    Perperiphals Keyboard, Mouse|

No where on there does it say Windows 10, or Intel i3/i5/i7 or FX or Athlon 2 or etc. So i have absolutely no reason to expect it'll run on any of that, so why exactly is microsoft expected to make sure that windows 8.1 or earlier, is expected to make sure that newer hardware works on it? That's all "support" means, is that microsoft has made sure their operating system works with it, and if not, update their operating system to work with it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Oh, really? Mind showing me the price tag of El Capitan?
    http://www.apple.com/osx/apps/app-store/?id=1018109117
    OSX is free and has been for a couple years now. What you're paying for is the Mac hardware.

Except Apple does support older hardware, except PPC (which is understandable). Besides that, you have completely missed the point of me pointing out that it's free - by making it free, users have no issue with upgrading. They have no reason not to. In most cases, there is no downside. Case in point - Windows 10. The amount of people who upgraded to that was immense, but I guarantee you that at least 50% of those upgrades would not happen if it weren't free.

"Should" is not the right word, but rather "can" it. And the answer should be yes, it can. Do you know why Windows has retained popularity? It's because of hardware and software compatibility. Windows lacks the refinement of Mac and the power of Linux. But, Microsoft has learned from Windows XP that retaining too much compatibility is not profitable. Not just because people don't feel a need to buy newer products, but because developers need to be paid to maintain old cruft.

It's kind of hard to say something is compatible when it doesn't exist yet... Intel and AMD make x86 CPUs. When they make a new product, it's still x86, it just has more features and can [ideally] do things faster. A new CPU will be compatible because at it's root, it can do the exact same thing as it's predecessors. As for GPUs, it's no different. If the game is based on DX9, the GPU drivers just need to be DX9 compatible and it will run.

There's a reason why Intel and AMD don't make architectures other than x86 and x86-64. They're outdated and arguably inferior for modern OSes. They don't scale down very well, which is why Intel is struggling to keep up with ARM and why AMD doesn't at all. Backward compatibility remains the core reason for not scraping it with something totally different.

When MS says they're dropping support for a CPU, it means they're not doing going to take advantage of the new features it offers. I'm willing to bet that you can run Windows 7 on Kaby Lake and Zen.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Rubbish. Windows 7 and 8 are still in support and will be for some time. If there is a bug that's causing serious issues for enterprise customers, MS will have to fix it because they have a contract to do so.

Like I said, it's all hot air from MS, just trying to get people to upgrade.

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Can you tell me how to get OS X without buying a computer first if you had not had either?

If you can then by all means i am wrong that OS X is not free, but i see nowhere to do that.

And you can't say "well, they don't charge you for the OS when you buy a mac" ... because really? Macs are the most overpriced computers out there.

Windows 7 and 8 are not in support, windows 8.1 is, and i'm sure you meant 8.1 instead of 8, but 7 is definitely not in support. It's in "extended support", which is nothing even remotely like mainstream support, and either way, support does not mean what you apparently think it means. It means they will support the operating system on the current supported hardware until X date.

I'm sure you're right, you probably will be able to, and that's exactly what i've been saying, microsoft saying they won't support it simply means if there is a problem they will not fix it, and they shouldn't.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Sure, here's a source (not the one I personally reference):
    http://www.hackintosh.com/
    Keep in mind, it is legal to install Mac OS on any PC. However, you are not legally allowed to distribute a non-Apple PC with Mac on it. I personally have a legal un-hacked copy of Yosemite installed on a Core2 Duo PC I built out of spare parts. The only thing that doesn't work is Ethernet (wifi works fine).

I'm aware what support means. There's support in terms of what the hardware is capable of doing (which means Kaby Lake and Xen will work on older OSes) and then there's the support that the OS developers give that suggests what they're willing to do to take advantage of the new hardware. So yes, you are right in the sense that MS will not support Windows 7 and 8.x, but, the new hardware will support (AKA, operate) those OSes.

Phrasing can be kind of confusing at times.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm not really sure i understand this. Personally, if you can't get something directly from the developer, then it's not "available", even if it's "not illegal". If it were "available" then i shouldn't have to go to a website hack-intosh...but i will admit available is not the same as illegal. So i'd say we are both right unless apple provides everyone with the OS through themselves as well, in which you'd be right and i'm wrong. But i'm going to say we're likely both right in the sense of you can't get, from apple, OS X for free, without prior hardware, but you can get OS X for free legally elsewhere without prior hardware.

Moot point either way lol

In fact, from that website:

STEP 1: Download OS X El Capitan
    The full operating system is a free download for anyone who has purchased Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion or has a Mac preloaded with OS X Mavericks or Yosemite. Download the Application from the Mac App Store using your Apple ID on any Mac or functional computer running Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later.

and states how to do it, but how do you do if, if you do not have a mac? I ask, because it's stating how to do it, within mac? or is that mac app store available on a windows computer and can download from there without the mac app store knowing you never had OS X before (which the instructions state it's free to people who have purchased or have preloaded OS X's)?

Eh, off topic either way, i think we're de-railing, lol

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's essentially just that they may not work to their full potential on older operating systems (something incredibly common with technology) and thus is for oth Windows and Linux but for some reason the focus is on Windows and a MS conspiracy.

12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Installing OSX on Windows based PC is very easy,but this mostly depends on HW used

I've run OSX like on X58 X5670,Z97 i7-4790k and now on X99 i7-5820k or E5-2383 V3

On Intel CPU or Intel MB is very easy and I would start with Clover as bootloader and if you don't know how to do it,check few sites regarding the Yosemite "distro" with Clover bootloader or you can try to install VMWare image etc and then install OSX on USB etc as per few guides over on few forums

I'm using mostly this one

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/

Depends on GPU too,some older GPU are supported out of box like R9 280X,290X or 390X etc and older Geforce cards,just be aware new GTX10xx are not currently supported

If you need help with OSX,i would recommend create separate thread and I'm very happy to help,I've done several Hackintosh builds

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Microsoft supporting new CPU's on Windows 7 is like Google supporting the Galaxy S7 (for example) on Android 1.6. Quite literally in fact, when you consider the release schedule dates. The same goes on the Apple side of things.

The question is, why would you want to run a brand new high end CPU, supposedly coupled with high end graphics etc, then still be too stubborn to move on from Windows 7? I think a lot of these people probably wouldn't have hated Windows 10 if they hadn't read or heard about other people whingeing about it.

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    But there is also nothing stopping them from upgrading the older versions too. You also conveniently leave out the fact that Microsoft was giving Windows 10 for free, for more than a year. Every single person with a legit Windows 7+ license could have gotten Windows 10 for free. Which also means that this is less about forcing you to upgraded for money (since it's free), and more for moving to a new, single platform to maintain, which makes sense on the technical level and It's the same decision that all the rest of the major kernels follow.
    Yes, please. Go write your own CPU driver for Linux. OSX is almost unrecognizable. Apple is even introducing a new file system for Sierra. It will only work with machines from the last four years only too. And that's an OS that caters to very few devices, keep in mind. Windows has to work with everything.
    Windows 10 is faster than Windows 7. And it was free for a whole year. I call bullsh*t sir.

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Seems there are too many letters in his username. Get rid of the c, m, and the d, and what he says begins to make sense :).

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Naah. There's no reason why they should backport features to really old operating systems. Windows 7 is 7 years old operating system. That's a long time. Also I have a feeling that Intel is not that interested either in creating drivers for obsolete OS. Pretty much every single Windows 7 user could have upgraded to 10 for free. They have no reason to whine. Of course something like this is going to happen.

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    not 100% agree, on linux there is open source and so if you want to use old stuff there is always someone to love waste time make it work, but natively out of the box, oups i mean the dowload ;), lot of distro drop old hardware support.

as any modern OS maker :)

18. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    I don't use Windows 7, but then again I would trust it with my life. Least when Windows 7 crashes It doesn't kill you.

19. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    absolute bullsh1t ....this is the advance to global control ..just like microsoft wants to work out steam in the game market for selling online ...eventually microsoft controls ur pc and everything and ur household with spying cameras...well ..eventually

20. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Its a marketing decision not a technical problem, that's my point.

Linux is 99% free and always was. They have very limited resources that need to be correctly allocated. Furthermore, updating linux is always an easier decision, I can bet users running a 7 years old linux are way way less (in proportion, of course) than windows users still running 7 instead of 10.
    (And I bet again Red Had will support anything u want if a big client needs it)

A plane has a LOT of navigation systems and automatic functions (which compose the "auto pilot"). This things evolve and are constantly patched to account for bugs, new features, etc.
    Idk if the computers running all that stuff never change, but the point is that u can maintain an OS for a long time, hardware changes are just one more item in the maintenance schedule, nothing more.
    Its a marketing decision not a technical problem.

Win10 sucks for me, I'm not going to discuss that here. My Linux has the last kernel, it's not about refusing to change.

Plane's systems have to be updated to comply with new security standards, the point was only to show that a system (the plane as a whole) and it's OS can be maintained for a long time, so its a marketing decision not a technical problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    @All3
    And at the end I clearly state that this is not a big deal but we are just fed up with MS bs and so overreactions are justified. Are u even trying to understand the point I make or just want to discuss on unimportant things like analogy accuracy (which is subjective) or wording?