Quit smoking

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by StewieTech, Aug 26, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I never managed to reduce it. I moved in a new place three years ago and I simply decided to refuse to pay for another pack. Haven't had a single one since then. I still get cravings from time to time, but they are less frequent as time passes.

2. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    I've been smoking 30 years and tried every thing to give up, cigarettes here have now gone up to $20 for a pack of 20 this has made me turn to vaping which is so much cheaper and healthier, I've not had a cigarette for 6 months now :)

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    After smoking for 10 years, I quit (cold turkey as well) for 5.5 years. It slowly gets better as months/years go by. The urge never fully leaves but you'll stop caring for the most part. After dinner and after sex are the worst times not to get a smoke.

Sadly, I picked it up again and I need to focus on quitting sometime soon too. Good luck!

4. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Thanks everyone for your input, appreciate it. :nerd:

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Smoked from 15 > 25, decided to quit one day, did so sucessfully until I was around 30, started again for 6 months, 2nd time around wasn't so easy to quit so never picked up another one, 37 now still smoke free

Don't have any cravings or want for smoking, but like the smell if I get a wiff of someone walking past smoking

Can't stand the smell of someone who smokes in the house, themselves and the house stinks, but for some reason outside if I catch a smell it's OK

6. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Smoked from age 17 to 50 and quit cold turkey for the most part. I used the Nicorette mints for the first 2 weeks and they were so gross i went cold turkey. It's been over 4 years now. You just have to find something to occupy your time.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    For a while I used to hold pens/pencils like a ciggy inbetween my fingers, and found myself with them in my lips often too, but don't even do that now, completely rid of it

8. CapKrunch

CapKrunch Active Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    I quit smoking in 2009, and omg I couldn't sleep or have desire to do anything for a year. Took me long enough to come back to normal which it sucked but worth it cuz now I feel great and be in control.

Good luck!

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Smoking what? lol

A year?

Nicotine is out of your system within 24/48 hours iirc, withdrawal shouldn't go on for a year

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im still smoking. Wait, we are not talking about weed, nwm. :D

11. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Its the psychological addiction, it lingers far longer than the psychical and its far difficult to conquer. You haver to achieve 1 year smoke free to be gold. Im 5 months without smoking and i feel like crap and without motivation to have fun.

12. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Yes, I have been there. Started when I was 16, a girl got me hooked. tried to quit a couple times didn't last long. Smoked cigs up to about 21. Then I was introduced to weights. Joined the local YMCA, and quit for about 3 years. Went from 129lbs skinny kid to 192lbs of solid muscle in those 3 years. Started working at a bar in '86, started smoking again, and stopped training, to much partying. Got really sick in late '88. Went to pick up a cig, looked at it and said enough is enough. Started to train again, and never look backed at a cig again.

I found that being idle is the worst thing to be, when trying to quit. In the early stages, I always kept myself busy with some kind of hobby, like weight training, RC car racing, ice hockey, etc. Anything that will keep your mind, , body, and time occupied. It's been years since I quit, have no desired to start again, can be around others and it doesn't bother me.

Like anything in life, it just takes time. Good luck

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  13. JamesGoblin

JamesGoblin Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX TITAN 4GB
    I was 4 or 5, when my grandpa (a chain smoker) gave me a cigar and said: "Inhale as much as you can!".

One of my earliest memories, I will never forget all the coughing and water I drank to kill that ugly feeling in my mouth.

Also, it was my last cigar ever =)

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

This^.................. :toke:

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not necessarily less toxic. Depends on the device used, the amount of power applied to it, the wicking material used and the chemical makeup of the liquid used. If you're buying chinese manufactured liquids, you might be better off sucking on the exhaust pipe of your car.....lol A lot of the chinese manufactured liquids use recycled anti-freeze for the propylene glycol base.

Depends on activity level. It's generally 48-72 hours to completely detox. The more active you are, the faster it leaves the body. It can vary by the amount of nicotine consumed as well though.

only 1 year? If quitting for the wrong reasons, it's easy to con yourself into a year clean. I know a lot of people that have made it 2 - 3 years and then went back to smoking because they quit for the wrong reasons. The only reason that has any real staying power, is quitting for yourself.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016

16. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    i quit smoking 4 months ago by vaping i went from 6 mg nicontene to no nicotene and it worked for me it was all about the hand to mouth movements but i can taste and smell better no more wheezy lungs or breathing and i was smoking 2 packs a day i save a bunch of money now as they are almost 12 bucks a pack here

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I was paying around $5 a pack. Now I only smoke after sex and when I'm overly stressed out. Fortunately, being occurs very frequently so I typically smoke 2-3 a month....which is still 2-3 a month more than I should.

18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

need more info? was her legs long and fine or short and smooth? did she have big boobs? were they big brown chew/or pink suckies?....What did she look like kinda stuff?...

How can we ever quit smoking if we don't know what she looks like?...:D

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Regardless, , vaping is less toxic. as in overall, less harmful. Yeah sure, if you're vaping toxic liquids..but isn't that obvious? That would apply to inhaling any toxic substance. it's going to end up regulated more heavily eventually.

20. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Well I wouldn't vape at excessive voltages, etc.

The chemical reaction (heating) changes and then it starts producing some nasty stuff.