[Official] Windows 10 - Redstone 1 RTM

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jul 15, 2016.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Was it before only associated with Edge browser ?
    I moved from Win7 to Win10, so don't know past details much.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    no it was not like i said in RTM and 1151 Smartscreen was enabled threw Security and maintenance. And there was NEVER smartscreen.exe associated with launching any exe and smartscreen worked fine. I know cause if I disconnected my lan cable smartscreen window would pop up with warning till i reconnect with anything i tried launching, it this started with 1607.

post 1607 I could have smartscreen enabled and launch any exe/program etc and there will be smartscreen.exe launched in task manager.

Pretty sure win 7 didnt have smartscreen, i want to say it started with win8 but I never had win 8 on any of my pc's

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  3. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    pretty sure i leave it turned off anyway! Its of no benefit for myself lol About as handy as UAC!

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I would like to keep smartscreen enabled but I will disable it if it still behaves like this whenever 1607 get pushed to my system. Hopefull UAC prompt is always displayed "always on top" by then

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that dont explain why it need extra process when before there was no such extra process, just explains tighten it sercurity. unless i missed the part the say why it need extra process now.

7. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Does it really matter? It may have made more sense to isolate it from a design standpoint or being able to lock it down for security purposes.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I noticed that Groove updated this morning and now one of my albums, which has embedded art (as does all of my music), is showing a blank icon. Even with the new editing features that allow you to rename songs and add album art I could not get the art to display. In an act of desperation, only because having one missing icon annoys me so much (damn my OCD!) I decided to reset the app. Now Groove does not show any art at all for my music (all 20,000+ songs).

I did make a custom system restore checkpoint before I reset the app though so it looks like I'm going to have to just put up with this single missing icon. It really annoys me when Microsoft update an app then end up breaking something in the process. It wouldn't be an issue with other developers, they are human after all, but Microsoft in my experience take so damn long to fix bugs! :bang:

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MS can't have you enjoying your PC for just one day :p

I tried fixing those DCOM errors from the event log out of boredom and got an unbootable PC for my efforts rofl. critical_process_died :puke2:

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    OCD FTW or well FTL? I feel you

I use Winamp (yes I still use it and love it and I waiting for the new release it current in beta stages) for my songs I use to have issue with it not show albums at all, Fixed it by uninstalling and reinstall winamp. But doing such things with app seem to PITA like the whole app idea.

yah i made that mistake to try and fix the dcom permissions error, brick the OS, that cause reinstall 4? of win 10.

Though the DCOM error i always got on boot since RTM seem to gone away or alot less frequent not in 1151, most the errors i get are from the 2 app that actual works and i use which weather and actuator go fiqure.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Are you not interested in player which can utilize WASAPI or ASIO for a better quality of sound? Or there are WASAPI/ASIO plugins for Winapm?

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    and all the other plays I tried i didn't like all sound the same to me, so none of that maters to me. but yes it has them just native plugins

http://www.aimp.ru/

was probably the only player i kinda liked but i went back to winamp do to how it handle playlists, dont know if it changed after 3 years

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I discovered WASAPI thing (with its exclusive and bit-exact modes) in Win7 and after trying a player with WASAPI support I never use another type of output. As I don`t use playlists I use "xmplay" for the music and "potplayer" for the video (which can be used for the music too, but old habits persist).

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Been there, done that two or three times, have the t-shirt!!! I know now not to tamper with that and just avoid looking at the Event log (my OCD would otherwise get the better of me and I'd obsess about fixing EVERY single error otherwise!). :D

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Me too...
    May be we should start a new thread to spread a words of warning to future generations of gurus, to give a friendly shoulder to ones who suffer, to commemorate rigs fallen in the battle with that treacherous villain DCOM errors.

16. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Aside from avoiding a maybe unnecessary resampling there won't be any difference in sound quality between WASAPI (exclusive) and DirectSound (or WASAPI shared mode for that matter). Audio playback does not need ultra-low latency real time processing.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I was reading one of them can do 7.1 but think it was exclusive I could never get any of them work in winamp, and Aimp has the stuff but I didnt hear no diffrence. Aimp does have working auto album cover though

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm confused... if you have a 7.1 card/receiver then they all should be able to do 7.1.

Sound quality wise, i've used wasapi/ks for years now and much may have been placebo but peace of mind is everything.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont ihave sony DA555ES from 1999 that is only 5.1 with a broke dts funtion

When I said optical out to it with out modified realtek drivers it will only do 2 channels. I need modified drivers to just get prologic

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Does anyone use Groove at all?

The latest update from Friday seems to mess up the album art on my system. One of my albums for the first artist alphabetically disappeared between updates (2 Unlimted if you must know) which was annoying as it's the first thing I see when I open the app. However, when I edited another album for the same artist using the app's own editing feature (which is similar to the one Windows Media Player has) to rename the album then the art also disappeared. Adding it does not work either. Yet Windows Media Player, iTunes, MediaMonkey and File Explorer all show the MP3s with embedded art and a 600x600 Folder.jpg file.

Just don't get how Microsoft can break something so simple that even their own WMP manages to handle just fine! I wondered if everyone else is having the same issue? Resetting the app is not an option either as it makes ALL the album art disappear, though only in Groove.

I actually like Groove, believe it or not, as it has a small memory footprint and displays an on-screen UI in use so I would like to continue to use it (though I guess missing album art has zero affect on its ability to actually play music).

Updated to v1607 build 14393.103 last night and nothing changed. Maybe the art will eventually appear after Groove has done some internal housekeeping? Still, the editing feature is clearly bugged if renaming a song or album title makes the art disappear.