Review: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A nice little weekend read, we review the MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OC 6GB model, aimed at the budget minded consumer this card is much cheaper (249 USD) compared to the GAMING edition, yet comes factory overclocked but not w...

Review: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OC

2. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    lol @ that stuff written at the top-right corner of the cooler: WARNING! The most powerful graphics card :D

Btw nice review HH, nice looking card, average OC, good value for $249... if you live in US :(

3. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    That's really cringey, honestly

4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review as always Hilbert , nice read. I like how silent this card is , really awesome noise levels. A great 1080p video card , performance wise this video card or the RX480 are both great options but i think it all comes down to the games you play and future proofing since DX12 and Vulkan are here and now.

5. andrey42

andrey42 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X
    Greetings!

Thanks for review.

Where i can download Afterburner 4.3.0 beta 11?

Thanks.

6. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Yeah, $413 is the cheapest one in Serbia. That's a measly 65% more.

7. RotatingFan

RotatingFan Guest

GPU:
    corsare
    At last a card on the same price level as the $180 RX-470 4GB and the $200 RX-480 4GB
    to compare against.
    A equal play field at last let the battle commence.
    And gameworks is the worst thing ever to infect game performance.
    If you disagree go and play batman.

8. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Is anyone else like me that thinks MSI has gone full blown retarded over the Maxwell refresh? Yeah i get it's their 30th year anniversary and it's the 10th gen nVidia Geforce but really 10 SKU's for every chip???? Theres 3 SKU's just for their Frozor Cooler then you have their armour sky hawk etc.

9. The Reeferman

The Reeferman Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Can't you just order from an other country, somewhere in Europe maybe, here in the Netherlands they cost between €270 and +€300. €20 for shipping or so, or do you get import taxes higher then 30%? Or is it stolen in the mail somewhere?
    Here an overview of 1060 offers in NL. Germany is often slightly cheaper.
    https://tweakers.net/categorie/49/v...kTqE7XUEepIDE9NTizKlXJytDAQAekMznVNzNPycqgFgA

This card is giving very nice performance judging by the benchmarks.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  10. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    312-376€ in Switzerland
    290-360€ in France
    270-340€ netherlands

249$ = 220€
    so yeah...those american $ prices real funny but nothing like their real cost elsewhere

don't blame those countries taxes...it's the brands that impose a huge premium to other countries prices
    I know a NY shop I was ordering non-electronic products from was closed a few years ago for exporting directly outside of the US bypassing the stupidly insanely expensive "export bonus" of the official distributors example : sunglasses sold for 450$ instead of 150$ yeah I'm not joking....3x the us price and it's one of those brands that lawyer-ed them to death

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016

11. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Some people who have relatives or friends abroad can ask them to get them one and bring it to them as then they would avoid shipping fees and import taxes. Also, our customs are known for their "gentle" treatment of packages. They once cut up a board game box I ordered. Luckily (for them) the components were on the other side of the box so only the bottom had ugly slashes on it. So, I wouldn't risk ordering one from abroad. In addition, they'd charge me VAT (20%) and import taxes as well, so the difference would melt quickly. Another problem about getting hardware abroad is warranty. What if the card is a dud? If I could avoid all these problems, I'd order the card from abroad in a heartbeat.

As it is, I think I'll have to wait until the current hardware monopoly-holder in Serbia to go under or to fragment into smaller competing importers before buying a new graphics card. Until then, I'll be playing on medium :nerd:

12. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I have found prices to be inflated here in the United States as well. Must be this strange phenomenon called High Demand along with its twin brother Short Supply. Prices here for the 1060's (6GB) are the same as they were for the 970 two years ago, and the 1060 is barely faster.

13. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    The 1060 costs here more than the 970 two years ago lmao. Small supply, dollar too strong, and shelves still flooded with pricey maxwells.

14. bdon

bdon Guest

GPU:
    ATI
    There are some mistakes in the review.

1. Page 2 "Up-to roughly 60 Degrees C, the fans will not spin".
    This card does not implement zerofrozer (fans stop <60C) so the fans will always stay spinning even at idle. And the idle fan noise (pg 9) says 33Db which contradicts the 'fans will not spin' claim.

2. Page 3 "MSI placed extra shielding heatsinks over the GDDR5 memory as well as a heatsink directly on top of the VRM area"
    It doesn't look like there is any heatsinks on the VRMs. You clearly see the bare mosfets in the picture following the comment.

Some people have complained that the fans cannot be set below 1500rpm or 50% in the MSI forum. I do not have privileges to post titles yet so thread title ""MSI GTX 1060 6gt ocv1 AfterBurner fan speed cannot be set below 49%".