AMD Shares ZEN info and talks about based 32 core 64 thread product

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 18, 2016.

1. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Going with what you Said, you must be 10 years old at most.

2. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    for the sake of all of us team red or team blue i hope AMD will pull it through, and become relevant again, everyone will benefit price wise and performance:nerd:
    just please no over hype until Hilbert get his hands on a sample and publish the results, till then fingers crossed :)

3. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    good one :nerd:

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yeah, you have a point there. All the time I see people crapping on AMD, not realizing that even though they may have inferior products, they still work just fine. Why spend an extra few hundred dollars when I can still do everything I want with a cheaper system? These are the same kinds of people who (would if they could) buy a Bugatti Veyron as a daily driver. Yeah, it's fast. But you will likely NEVER use that power. Obviously, there are exceptions.

On a side note - I've never been a big fan of Asus. They are way too agreeable to MS's whims, their cheap products are some of the worst I've ever used, and their high-end products cost too much (don't get me wrong, they're good products, just a poor value).

@denial
    I wouldn't say Intel has the smallest fanbase. In my experience, people often treat Intel as the only option to consider, even for graphics, even for tablets. They will ignore moments where ARM, AMD, or IBM has done a better job, yet 1 small mistake by any of those companies is remembered forever.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016

5. ricardofsilva

ricardofsilva Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7790
    Thanks Ryu, I'll propabably do that, i'll find something else to buy and wait for a few more months. :frown:

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    please let me know when +80% of the consumer market is are running rendering software...

7. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I'm pretty happy about this. Intel rule a little too supreme lately. I love my i7, but it's about time some real competition gets prices down a little again. I'm waiting for the Zen market introduction, and am very curious about overclocking potential. Intel CPUs pretty much all go up to 50% above stock clock on all cores pretty easily. I hope AMD can match that. Back in the day Athlons were good, but stock performance was much closer to the maximum ceiling than with stock Intel. Intel has a real good overclocking history. The first CPU I ever overclocked was actually accidental. A 200 MHz Pentium MMX, by error set to 250 MHz. Not a single problem with that. Then again there were AMD K6 CPUs that happily went from stock 400 MHz to 600.

8. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    i suggest anyone waiting to upgrade continue to do so things like usb type c are gonna start rolling out on smart phones. their finally pushing all the new features to the mobo.

9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    50% OC pretty easely ? i dont remember that my 4930K is able to do 5.8-6Ghz out of the box lol... It OC well but not so much lol .. even under "chilled water "

( 4930K 6 cores run at 3.9ghz stock ( turbo clock ofc ))... meaning i should pretty easely hit 5.8-6ghz if i follow your 50% OC ) ... I dont see much peoples running around with even quad core at 5.7+ ghz 24/24 . lol

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Look at the CPU in his sys specs.

11. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Ok, I was talking about base clock, not turbo. My 5960X with 3,0 GHz base sits at 4,4 GHz and could do 4,5 GHz if I bothered.

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'm not doing any kind of scientific study here, but since the Sandy Bridge days the "day-to-day" OC for Intel CPUs is around 4.4-4.6GHz, no matter the node or the generation. There are exceptions both up or down, but I believe that there is a ceiling for Intel designs at least. I would expect the 8/16 Zen to be at around 3.8-.4.2GHz. If the IPC is indeed better than Broadwell-E, the platform is compelling and the prices are "right", AMD will have a winner.

13. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Its not about the performance in rendering,its 8 core/16 thread CPU and if you buying this CPU I would at least assume you will be running some sort multi threading app like are rendering SW as for gaming 8 core/16 thread CPU right now seems bit waste,there are no games which ultilize those 8 core/16 thread

If performance and price is right I'm willing to switch,but if performance is like is it in their presentation then this CPU should be monster in rendering and 32 core/64 thread CPU that's just wet dream for me :)

Thanks,Jura

14. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    please! we all need servers!! $200 32 core/64 thread CPU to consumer market. only if moore's law was real was real law. not some marketing scam.

Real Athlon 64
    make -j64

15. JethroTu11

JethroTu11 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050ti
    I hope it's a good cpu. We all benefit if AMD can help drive down Intel's prices.

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well, I can only hope that AMD will deliver, Intel has been milking for so many years now... competition was basically non-existent.

I remember the days when having an AMD cpu was a "must-have" for gaming, all my old rigs until ~2007 had AMD cpus, and since then only Intel.

Please don't have ZEN be another Bulldozer. :wanker:

17. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Looks promising :D

18. Marios145

Marios145 Active Member

This would actually be awesome, releasing the first 64core CPU as Athlon 64

19. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    What do you expect? technology that doesn't exist yet? Also no one said those are new technologies.

20. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    It's supposed to be a true 8 cores with 16 threads, just like Intel CPUs.