No DX12 Support for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided at Launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    That moment when the most hyped dx12 title gets released without dx12.

3. go4brendon

go4brendon Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Seahawk X
    Anti-piracy strategy?

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Or just boosting sales in the first week letting any OS and legacy cards to run the game using older api.

5. meth curd

meth curd Active Member

GPU:
    2080TI FE
    is there any confirmed difference between dx11 and dx12 on a visual fx level?

6. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Why would there be any? From my understanding, DX12 doesn't bring any visual eye candy. It changes drivers at very low level reducing API overhead and makes rendering truly multithreaded. Also if forces game developers to make any hardware specific optimizations, which are different for nVidia and AMD. In best case scenario you can expect to have better framerate on weak CPU. In worst case scenario same performance as DX11, plus it requires Windows 10 to be installed and disables some overlay tools and applications. meh

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Why not. It's just that by lowering driver API overhead it can now use extra GPU power for more effects, objects, detail.. That's if done right.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I wonder if the game was programmed on dx11 all the time and now being released, with a later adaption to dx12, or if they have to use some kind of 'container' to run it under dx12, crippling dx11 performance somehow.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    A year ago I would have been disappointed at this news but having had the chance to compare DX11 and DX12 in the same games since then I've come to realise that DX12 offers absolutely NO visual improvements and usually runs slower than DX11, at least they did on my old GTX 980 Ti. Maybe things will be different on my new GTX 1080, which reputedly supports asynchronous compute, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yes, part of the problem here is that most games are not designed from the ground up for DX12 (as Deus Ex: Mankind Divided clearly isn't either) so that likely accounts for why performance is not quite as expected. However, when we went from DX8 to DX9, from DX9 to DX10 and DX10 to DX11 we got something in the way of graphical upgrades too (tessellation, better lighting, etc) but, so far, DX12 hasn't even given us that (which would at least make up for the loss of performance vs. DX11). Rise of the Tomb Raider actually loses the VXAO support I believe if you use DX12!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^Careful bad mouthing DX12 there.

So far we have not seen much in the way of a difference on Nvidia's side but that is likely down to how good their DX11 drivers were/are.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Obviously your DX12 experience is going to vary based on the type of card you have. Currently Nvidia doesn't get much out of DX12 - their driver had command list support and stuff. If you have an AMD card, you're probably going to want it a lot more because it brings a pretty massive boost to your cards.

That being said, DX12 overall does give developers the potential to increase graphics quality and performance across both vendors. So regardless to what some of the initial games perform, owners of Nvidia & AMD should both want DX12 to become mainstream.

Also, the reason why they'd develop a DX11 variant of the game is to open sales up to pre-windows 10 users, which is the majority of people at the moment. I doubt the DX12 delay was done for any real purpose other then it wasn't finished.

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310

Yeah going by AMD's changes where they publish stuff like HDAO and Hairworks to Github now without any restrictions on access well DX12 support has been a bit so-so for some of it and Vulkan was even worse off though a user did make a Vulkan version of Hairworks which has since been merged into the main version.

Nvidia is probably on the same level with their Gameworks and CUDA technologies from HBAO+ to various PhysX related visual systems and now recently also VXAO although as DX12 sees more use this will probably change though the main thing with DX12 is indeed the low-level API functionality and a potential performance gain and overhead reduction but there's no specific visual additions as far as I'm aware and the move over to the game developers does make stuff like multi-GPU support a bit more problematic from what I've read at least.

EDIT: If Microsoft also focused a bit on the complaints about Win10 and started improving on that more users would probably be at least a bit more positive to it and upgrading from anything from Vista to Windows 8.1 seeing both a bigger market share for the OS and also bigger support for DX12 seeing how it's dependent on Win10 and while many PC users would probably upgrade their GPU over time there's still a lot of people who are none to happy with what Windows 10 currently has to offer.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Denial, you are only nvidia user talking how nvidia with amd needs to embrace the dx12 to become the mainstream. I guess others are just disappointed with current performance and willing to stay with old api, thats sad.

On the other side AMD users are disappointed for not having a dx12 support at day one (i know i am). Will probably wait for 5th to see the difference before i buy the game.

14. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    nVidia money strategy? ok, ok, I admit it's a bait somewhat :D

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Undying: using a quite broad brush there aren't you?

Yes DX12 is the future and for the most part it works good. There are some issues here and the but that always happens with a new api. As for now I would say making a game by any third party dev DX12 exclusive would be a bad business decision.

16. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Another game with DirectX 12 wrap support.Not fair.
    Then could be another fail game like Gow,Tomb Ryder,etc.

[​IMG]

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What the hell is wrap support? Is there even a single DX12 title that doesn't have some DX11 build? And I'm not sure why you'd expect them to go DX12 only, it would shrink potential customers by 80%.

It sucks that it's not shipping at launch -- but I'm sure the DX12 implementation is going to be good.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Plus we will not se true full DX12 builds of games from the ground up until we have AIB cards that have full DX12 hardware feature set support. Currently we don't have that.

19. soryuuha

soryuuha Member

GPU:
    xxx 270 xxx
    love you id software & Bethesda. the only game that support low level API without major issue upon first low level api patch.

20. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    What could they possibly achieve in an extra fortnight, that they couldn't have done in the last number of years... oookey dokey :3eyes: