What GTX 1080 card is most quiet?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by UserBoob, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Which one do you have now? The IV ? What temps do you have and what's your gpu boosting to?

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I have the Xtreme 4.

The card boosts to 1936 MHz in Unigine Heaven and settles at 51C with only 33% Fan Speed on Auto. The card idles at 27C.

Also measured the Temperature of the RAM and VRM which is around ~60C and ~63C after 30 minutes of Heaven. But they already stopped rising after 20 minutes.

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  3. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Thats probably better than a budget wc solution, thanks for the pics too, i see you didn't add any heatsinks on the vrm and ram, and still those temps are good, probably better than my card . I'm impressed, might get one my self but have to make sure it fits my strix card.

4. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    They're great coolers but also cumbersome. When I switched everything but the GPU I literally had to take of parts and make a hybrid of the Arctic cooler and the plate of the original cooler and remove the back plate, etc.

Just keep in mind "spacing" when shopping for a new motherboard, etc when you get an Arctic cooler.

The ASUS strix can be kept under 60° C, but it's not exactly quiet... :p

I recon if you're going with a prebuilt option, the water cooling variants will be your best option if you value both temperatures and sound.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The Xtreme 4 only fits on a PCB with a width of 98 MM, which is reference design. This is because the Backplate is 98 MM and needs to be clamped down with 3 clamps from both sides of the PCB.

Your other option would be the Xtreme 3, which comes with small heatsinks to Glue on. And don't worry it's not permanent Glue, it can be removed.

I had a Twin Turbo 2 on my GTX 680 which also came with the same Glue and they managed to stay on for the entire 4 years i used it :)

Arctic Coolers are designed for reference design videos card, so ye it might need heavy modding when fitting it on a custom PCB.

The only modding i had to do was file out a little corner of one of the clamps so it could fit next to the DVI Port, other than that it fit just fine.

6. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Any idea if there are any requirements for the hybrid 3 140 as well?

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I looked at it and i highly doubt that's going to fit on your Asus Strix. As it needs a Arctic Designed VRM Heatsink that's only made for Reference Design VRM layouts.

Your only options are the Xtreme 3 or Twin Turbo 2, atleast that's my advise.

You could probably make the 140 work somehow but it will require a lot of modding and additional parts from what i can see, so that's why i recommend the other 2.

8. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
  9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    MSI Gaming X

10. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Hey,thanks contacted Arctic and they said the same thing what you said about the Xtreme IV .Also the Hybrid III 120 and 140 are compatible with the "Generic VRM Set" and the Xtreme III is also compatible. Now I have to make up my mind which one out of the Xtreme III or Hybrid III 140 to get.

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Well I had to get rid of the backplate because it was blocking access to 2 of my 4 DIMM's for a 3rd and 4th memory stick when I switched to an X99 board. The backplate which was also cooling something tbh, as it actually became quite warm during load, so it was absorbing heat from something.

Surprisingly I was able to fit the original plating on my 770 GTX back then and still fit the Arctic cooler.

12. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100
    Yes, i can confirm that.

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    That was pretty risky using the Stock Backplate to cool the RAM and VRM. The Backplate Arctic provides is very much needed!

You should have moved your card a couple slots down. As long as it's Gen3 then PCI-E 8x wont make a real life difference (1 to 2% compared to 16x)

I use my 1070 in a PCI-E 8x Slot as well (Gen3)

People confirm and say a lot.

I have extremely good hearing (i wish i was more deaf to be honest) and all i can recommend the OP is an Arctic Accelero Xtreme 3/4. I been using that same cooler style since the GTX 285 and it's whisper quiet at 40% while providing MORE than enough cooling.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  14. XcroN

XcroN Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Aorus xtreme
    My 1080 G1 is pretty quiet. Barely can hear it under 2 Ghz overclock.