HIS To Release Radeon RX 480 IceQX2 Roaring

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We hear little from them these days, but they are still around, HIS Digital is announcing their Radeon RX 480 IceQX2 Roaring edition graphics cards. HIS is still holding on to the IceQ concept and wil...

HIS To Release Radeon RX 480 IceQX2 Roaring

2. Chaython

Chaython Guest

GPU:
    AMD/7970/3GB
    hideous

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Hideous but effective. Never been fan of HIS brand tho.

4. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    I'm sure the cooling is adequate, but the design leaves a lot to be desired.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I'm hppy with my HIS card. When it came out, it was not only pretty much the fastest R9-280X but also ran the coolest.

Check out the temperature on this chart from a reliable source ;).
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_r9_280x_iceq_x2_turbo_review,9.html

If the new cooler works as well comparatively as mine, who cares what it looks like? It's not that it's bad looking, it's just a sleak design. For most people it would be hidden away in the case. For people with 'show' cases where looks of the card actually matter inside the machine, the cooler would likely come off and be replaced with a watercooling solution.

6. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    As funky as they may look, HIS cards are not that bad.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Last HIS card i had was X1600 Pro. At the time i though it was looking badass for a lower end card.

[​IMG]

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Jesus their cards are still hideous.

They used to be rather nice.
    For some, the looks matter as well as cooling.

[​IMG]

My R9 280 looks like this while staying under 69c @ 1120/1450 clocks @ 1.25v.

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Wouldn't that made it... HISeous?

Sorry, that was bad :nerd:

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I own a HIS GPU myself - also ugly. Thankfully, my computer doesn't have a clear side plate. The cooler is pretty good though. It's quiet and keeps my temps below 70C under full load. Their rebate system is garbage though. I followed their instructions exactly, triple-checked that I did everything right and even scanned the documents before sending them. They denied my rebate, saying the signature was missing. I contacted them and attached the scanned image of the document in question, and I circled my signature in red, asking them to check things on their side. They never replied.

11. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I was always attracted to that cooler, it was unique at the time and looked awesome , that transparent blue,well semi-transparent.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I prefer functionality over design. Even with a clear case you're not looking at it all the time. In many ways it looks more professional than showy, so even in a clear case it's not irrelevant as it's not toyish. Like I said with mine, no doubt the design is such to maximise cooling efficiency which I'd rather have than bling factor that will be largely unseen most of its life.

13. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I think it looks quite nice. Unless you don't like lions or the color gold/yellow? It's nice to see a backplate with vents across it for cooling too.

14. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Its the shape of the shroud. It looks like it was designed with US common core math.

15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    It looks cheap.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Looks like a 200-250$ card. You should not expect Kingpin card at that price range.

17. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    " Based on a 6-power phase design the card does get an 8-pin power connector. "

This is fantastic news for overclockers! I knew HIS would do this. I love the backplate, but think the shroud is butt ugly! However, where in the pictures is the power connector?!

:confused:

18. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Appears to be a sheet metal shroud. There are only so many processes that you can apply to a piece of metal and this seems to have all of them.

19. LiV3WiR3

LiV3WiR3 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX Titan Quantum
    HIS GPUs used to look so much better. Just look at the old HD 38xx and 48xx series IceQ 3/4 cards with those sexy UV reactive shrouds. HIS was one of the most demanded ATi brands back in the day.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Only to be hidden away inside the case. The only thing a really good looking GPU is good for is showing off, and these days showing off is done much better with the enthusiast level cards, not mainstream.

For the most part, it's 'Oh wow, card looks good, now let's hide it away inside the case'. If the looks of the card is more important to you than fuctionality, just get some vinyl wrap and do whatever you like to the shroud.

[​IMG]

Considering once it's inside the computer you won't see it again until you upgrade, I don't think it looks too bad. I'd rather use it for its benefits rather than say 'ooh wow, pretty colours' ;). This is especially true if design impedes in any way on efficiency of cooling. A schmancy design could also mean more costly manufacture, are people seriously saying they'd rather pay more for something they'll never actually see when being used?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2016