What GTX 1080 card is most quiet?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by UserBoob, Aug 13, 2016.

1. UserBoob

UserBoob Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Hi!

I want to upgrade my system to a 1080 card, but I am not sure which one!

I am looking at either a air cooled one or one with liquid (AIO), which would be most quiet during load?

I really couldent find on Guru3D what gtx 1080 cards that beats the rest in noise.

Do I have to go in to every review to find what card that has lowest db during load? Or can someone maybe give me an answer here?

I mean it looks like every card review I go on, that card is the most quiet during load.
    But same cards that reach low dB are not even on the next review,

For example

[​IMG]
    &
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  2. UserBoob

UserBoob Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    My 980TI was supposed to be quiet. It isn't quiet at all. It sounds like a hurricane inside my computer when I play games. with no specifict overclock (card is set on gaming)

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Without knowing any specifics about the rest of your system, how are we supposed to give any informed advice? Your case cooling can have a major impact on noise levels.

4. UserBoob

UserBoob Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Fractal R5 as case.

So I guess there is no "This card is a lot quieter than this card" what you say....

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Mostly it depends on how effective the cooler is from the gpu. If it cools well it doesn't need to run at high RPM thus makes it quieter.

But no matter what fans it has they will be audible at some point because of the air passing through the heatsink, but what is known is that bigger fans are quieter because they move more air at lower RPM. At least in theory :)

What I know for sure is that the Asus strix starts to get audible at 60-70% fan speed and quite loud at 80%. So avoid that I guess, you could try going with MSI since it has bigger fans.

If you want best low noise/cooling performance ratio you must go water,you can get an EK kit for example and a waterblock for your card, saw EK makes FE,Msi,asus blocks at least. But of course that will add more price to the already expensive GPU.

On a side note: If you don't want to go watercooling you could try getting an Accelero Xtreme Cooler like the Accelero Xtreme IV. Last one I had (xtreme III ) was really good at cooling and even at 100% fanspeed(if I remember correctly that was about 2000 rpm) it was silent as winter.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    If you want a quiet videocard the best is to get an Arctic Accelero Xtreme 3 or 4.

I personally have very sensitive ears and pick up specific high frequency sounds that most other people wont hear. So for me Arctic has been the go to GPU Cooler for the past 10 Years.

I have the Xtreme 4 on my GTX 1070 and at Auto Fans it stays at 33% while the card maxes out at only 51C, which means it remains inaudible.

Note that the Xtreme 4 will only work with Videocards that have a 98MM wide PCB (reference)

I'm sorry, but this is far from the truth.

Either your case fans are so loud you can't hear the Arctic at 100%, or you're having hearing issues.

The Arctic can definitely be heard at 100% Fan Speed, not a whiny sound but you can hear the Air Flow.

7. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    The noise not only depends on the desing of the card, also on the airflow of your case, if your case have poor airflow the card will increase the RPM fans.
    I don't recommend at all getting a card with AIO, the pump is a big point of failure. The MSI Gaming model is one of the most quiet models

8. If you want silent card (or system), use watercooling. It's that simple. I've been dealing with this 8-10 years ago. Then I've switched to full system watercooling and I can't go back, it's just that much better.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Not everyone is interested in the refilling and cleaning hastle of Water Cooling.

And most AIO are not worth the extra cash as Air Cools as good and is much quieter due to no noisy pump.

10. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT

11. Yes, if you are not willing to spend 1 hour every year, watercoolng is not for you.

There are noisy pumps and there are very quiet pumps. My 8 years old pump is extremely quiet and I believe there are even better solutions these days.

12. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Quality Watercooling pumps tends to be super quiet, i had a Laing D5 in Speed 3 is almost inaudible.

13. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    @haste nah man, I'm sure you have hearing issues, all pumps are noisy. (joking of course)

14. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    My Koolance Exos 2.5 system was loud. New system...all air is whisper quiet even while playing. Think I'm done with water for a while. Just don't need it with these more efficient chips unless your going for some crazy overclocks.

15. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    OP, my Zotac 1080GTX Amp Edition is super quiet. At idle the fans don't evens spin. I'm guessing that is a feature of the 1080's. When playing, fans are hardly audible.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Refilling is a hassle? My loop has been running flawlessly for close to 2 years now. No refilling needed. Just use good coolant.

If you setup watercooling properly, disassembly becomes very easy. You just need to have a drain port.

The benefits are enormous.

17. UserBoob

UserBoob Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    So regardless if I get a Fan cooled card, or a AIO cooled one, so will sound "always" be the same during load?

18. TheWahoo

TheWahoo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid
    I'm only going by personal experience here but EVGA's hybrid cooler on a reference (FE) card is dead silent and super-chill. For those of us who aren't willing to take the plunge into the world of custom loops (for whatever individual reason), it's a great alternative if you're willing to spend the extra cash.

I suspect the Corsair hybrid would perform similarly, but I've never seen/heard one in person so I'm purely speculating. Same goes for the NZXT offering however, I personally prefer the aesthetics of EVGA's kit since it includes a full shroud that fits the 1070/1080 FE perfectly.

19. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Witcher 3 with DSR up to 4k and 99% gpu useage i can barely hear my cards under sli :)

I never buy gigabyte again i had the g1 before [gtx 980 ti] they were really loud under load.

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Just get a Reference Design Card (like i have) with an Arctic Cooler. You only ever need to run it at 35% Fan Speed.

It will be inaudible, trust me i have over 10 Years experience with them.