CORSAIR Hydro GFX GTX 1080 Liquid Cooled Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Well I can only recommend this beauty. Running mine at 2075mhz ( could have pushed more, but wont ), at max 51c during full load.

3. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Meh, from what I understand most (if not all) 1080s reach similar frequencies given all the hard limits imposed by Nvidia.

I personally don't see the point of water cooling... if there is one, please let me know

4. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    A: To have it running cooler.

B: To exhaust the air outside of the case.

C. To possibly having it run a bit quieter.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Cooler / Silent / More Overclock headroom / Longer card life-span / no need to limit Fps ( literally )

6. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    ^I do not agree with the overclock headroom since they all cap out around the same regardless of water cooling or not. and as for silence as long as u get anything not founders it'll be quiet anyways.

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  8. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Exactly what I was going to reply :)

Also, to those who speak about lifespan...

is there a real benefit in having the card running at 50C rather than 75C?
    How does that affect the electronics life span? Is there any hard evidence that measures the benefits?

If the gain was from, say, 10 years -> 12 years (making numbers up for the argument's sake) I couldn't care less.

An air-cooled card generally lives for what, 4-6 years on average?
    I assume that those who spend money on water cooling also change hardware way more frequently than that anyway

9. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Wait,that's something new for me, having the rad over the vardar fans over the custom rad. Interesting.

But i'd rather get a proper waterblock from ek for example that's what i'm planning to do in the near future anyway,that way I know the VRM's are also cooled with liquid. More costly considering you need the whole pump/reservoir system but EK has nice kits that aren't that expensive, and it gives better results too. But of course that comes down to everyone's comfort zone.

Also watercooling gives more stable boost clocks and reaching a bit higher with the OC. Might not be worth the price for a small OC boost but hey, everyone spends their money as they wish :)

10. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    Having your gpu running as cool as possible is always a good thing because...throttling.

11. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Keeping your GPU cooler can keep your other components as well as room cooler as well, which can be a good idea during the summer. :)

12. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Keeping your gpu cooler is a good thing. But it does nothing to keep the room cooler. The card still generates the same amount of thermal energy, the liquid coolers just remove the heat from the components faster so they stay cooler. But the same amount of heat is still pumped into the room.

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Yep, exactly what I was gonna say. That heat is generated and it has to go somwhere. It might even be the other way around because, the more efficient your components their heat are being drawn away, the more of that heat might actually end up in your room lol.

I might be wrong, but I really do think that the more efficient your cooling is, the MORE you're putting that heat in the environment, aka YOUR ROOM.

14. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    One would think so, but it doesn't seem to be the case for me. Room temperatures are a couple of degrees Celsius lower for me whenever I use a PC with better cooled components than it does with a hotter one.
    The exhausted air from the PC and the air inside the PC is also much hotter without the liquid coolers and just stock coolers, just going by how hot it feels when sticking my hand into the case or in front of the exhausts, it's a noticeable difference. With air coolers it always feels hot, with liquid coolers it seems just slightly warm.
    Going from the original Titan X (Pascal) air cooler to the EVGA Hybrid shaved around 2-3°C off my room temperature (at least in the area around my desk), it seems, which is enough to prevent some sweat for me on most days.
    My PC also isn't as hot with liquid cooling. With all stock air cooling it always felt like a radiator.
    I've noticed the same thing before with my old Maxwell Titan X and also switching to a liquid CPU cooler.
    I'd assume the heat is being dissipated better and while going through the liquid cooling loop and is thus cooler at the exhaust.
    Maybe the hot air to spread more evenly throughout the room and allowing it to cool off quicker instead of hanging around underneath and near the desk and thus it seems to have this effect or something. Or maybe the heat escapes quicker through the cracks under the door, etc..

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    yes, whatever your cooling system is :infinity:
    (but if you have money with WC it can be outside your room )

also with WC your system cam be more silent than the best quiet solution in air cooling (exept passive solution with too much heat)

16. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Also don't forget as the heat is moving through the cooling system it is being dissipated so once it reaches it's final destination ie your room it is a lot cooler than when it was first created, watercooling is much more efficient at dissipating heat than air cooling but it comes at a cost and there's more maintenance involved overall though I think it's worth it.