compensation from nvidia

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by venturi, Aug 9, 2016.

1. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    we are here in this forum because we are more or less fans of different products and capabilities, and we are here to exchange information to help one another out, and mostly because we are quite technical in nature and have a good community - better than most forums

So, with that said:

How is nvidia planning to compensate all the folks and fans that bought a 3rd or 4th pascal based on nvidia 's announcement of the enthusiast key in the published pdf and white paper ?

If nvidia said it would have a website and enthusiast key for 3 and 4 way sli, and folks bought the cards on the communication, isn't nvidia liable to make good or compensate those folks who made the additional purchase?

It has nothing to do with weather or not someone likes 3 and 4 gpu solutions, so don't focus on that, it's about purchases made based on nvidia claiming a method to enable it via an enthusiast key.

and
    the enthusiast key was not limited to benchmark suites alone, when the paper was released, there were no stipulations other than enabling the 3 and 4 way sli.

the pdf, the white paper and the announcement -all described unlocking with the enthusiast key.
    Changing that commitment AFTER people have bought the cards is where the issue is. It has nothing to do with weather or one agrees with 3 or 4 way SLI

On that point alone, nvidia should compensate individuals or follow through with the full promise to make those capabilities available.

Copy paste from 1080gtx announcement, pdf, and the white paper:

"""""
    Enthusiast Key
    While NVIDIA no longer recommends 3 or 4 way systems for SLI, we know that true enthusiasts will not be swayed...and in fact some games will continue to deliver great scaling beyond two GPUs. For this class of user we have developed an Enthusiast Key that can be downloaded off of NVIDIA’s website and loaded into an individual’s GPU. This process involves:
    1. Run an app locally to generate a signature for your GPU
    2. Request an Enthusiast Key from an upcoming NVIDIA Enthusiast Key website
    3. Download your key
    4. Install your key to unlock the 3 and 4-way function
    Full details on the process are available on the NVIDIA Enthusiast Key website, which will be available at the time GeForce GTX 1080 GPUs are available in users’ hands.

""""""

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    I like butter.....so never mind.

3. InfinityX

InfinityX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 970 SLI
    Hi Venturi. Nice spec BTW. Whats it used for? Medical analysis or rendering? Pretty sure you could run anything on a build like that. Not jealous one little bit...

From a legal standpoint did NVIDIA actually commit to an actual date when there 'Upcoming Enthusiast Key Website' would be available? If they haven't then they could just say its still work in progress. You could interpret "which will be available at the time GeForce GTX 1080 GPUs are available in users’ hands.", as any time whilst 1080s are still commercially available products, because they haven't committed to "before 1080 GPUs are available in users' hands."

Can you not demand a full refund from them?

4. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    thank you yes, I could demand a full refund, but I was rather hoping they would just follow through on the commitment.

I use the rig for medical imaging and nuc med. Believe it or not I'm one of the few that actually can use that horsepower and do every day. I also have a few oracle db VMs that I have to work in so that is a bulk of the other part of the need.

Anyhow, it would be nice for them to not necessarily support every app 100% in 3 and 4 way but rather at least not disable the feature.

regardless, my take on it is that the enthusiast key was part of the product release and that therefore they should follow through

5. InfinityX

InfinityX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 970 SLI
    Have you tried an aggressive social media campaign against them? Get it heard and in a public arena and NVIDIA are more likely to help. If you go through normal channels then they are less likely to help you.

Or you can go and have a word with Charlie Demerjian over at SemiAccurate and see if he fancies another NVIDIA rant!

6. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    dont you have a way of contactìng nvidia directly, after a 5000$ purchase?
    nobody here can speak for nvidia or if they will give you a compensation.

i mean have you ASKED THEM where your key is?

7. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    yes
    I've asked

the answer is:

"I'm sorry sir, 2-way sli is the only one supported"

well what about the press release on the enthusiast key, and pdf on the cards explaining the process to get the enthusiast key?

" we never made any document showing that, I'm sorry sir, 2-way sli is the only one supported"

then I would send link to their own document,
    get put on hold

then after a long wait:

rinse repeat on the benchmarking etc 3-4 way sli, sent their link about it and so after another long hold:

not exactly shining with customer service

8. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    at the end of the process, NVidia did not honor their announcement/publication:

"""""
    Enthusiast Key
    While NVIDIA no longer recommends 3 or 4 way systems for SLI, we know that true enthusiasts will not be swayed...and in fact some games will continue to deliver great scaling beyond two GPUs. For this class of user we have developed an Enthusiast Key that can be downloaded off of NVIDIA’s website and loaded into an individual’s GPU. This process involves:
    1. Run an app locally to generate a signature for your GPU
    2. Request an Enthusiast Key from an upcoming NVIDIA Enthusiast Key website
    3. Download your key
    4. Install your key to unlock the 3 and 4-way function
    Full details on the process are available on the NVIDIA Enthusiast Key website, which will be available at the time GeForce GTX 1080 GPUs are available in users’ hands.

""""""

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It isn't their fault you wasted thousands of dollars buying crap based on something that hasn't been released yet.

Use some common sense next time and WAIT until it's actually available before hand if that's something that you are interested in.

Not trying to be negative nancy, but come on man. When you are spending that much money you should really take a step back and think about it and the big picture and the current situation before hand.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  10. basco

basco Guest

GPU:
    560tfII

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I think the CPU alone costs 4115$ so the total price is most likely way more than 5k dollars.

12. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX