R9 390x Gigabyte or MSI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Jonbajo, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Jonbajo

Jonbajo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12gb
    I'm interested in the R9 390x. Does the brand make much of a difference? Or should I base it on specs? Currently interested in either the Gigabyte and the MSI version. Looks like MSI specs are a little higher. (and the MSI is cheaper than the Gigabyte (Currently))Is one card more over-clockable?

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    MSI is the better choice, definitely. The cooler is better. Gigabyte is rather noisy.

3. mstcobra

mstcobra Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
    I never owned or had hands on experience with a Gigabyte R9 390x but I have owned two MSI R9 390s and they were both rock solid, cool, quiet and good overclockers.

4. Jonbajo

Jonbajo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12gb
    Despite your recommendations, I think I'm going to go with the Gigabyte. I own a Gigabyte 7950 and so all I have to do is swap one for the other. And for other reasons too.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    The thing is... Windforce doesn't do that good job when it comes to cooling really power hungry cards. For example, I had GTX 780 GHz Edition and the cooler did really bad job. On the other hand I had MSI R9 290 Gaming and it was clearly a better cooler and the version in 390 is even beefier.

6. Jonbajo

Jonbajo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12gb
    Right, but buying a MSI card would require me to buy a new PSU (~$100).

I own a Gigabyte 7950 and it cooled just fine with stock coolers. It overclocked well. Also all I have to do is swap the 7950 with the 390x (same wiring). And, it's smaller than the MSI, makes for an easier installation. Plus I already ordered the Gigabyte. Questions? Comments?

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Wot? No it doesn't...

8. Jonbajo

Jonbajo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12gb
    so it could run with my Antec earthwatts 650 (the older 2008 model)?

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well, both use just as much power. Let's put it this way: if the Gigabyte works then the MSI will work too. Although 8 years old PSU is pretty ancient and I would replace it with something modern and efficient in the near future. Also considering that particular PSU isn't exactly the highest quality unit I would buy new one sooner rather than later.

10. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Does the Antec have a 8 pin and 6 pin connector? I think you are cutting it close at best for either card.

11. Jonbajo

Jonbajo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12gb
    yes it has both for the card - a 6 and a 8 connector.

Any recommendations on what PSU to get? mostly how much wattage? I was thinking 850w.

I will say my Gigabyte 7950 works extremely well - highly overclockable, quiet, never had any issues with it. must be a whole different thing then the r9 390x then.

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Check the actual revision of the Gigabyte board. I would recommend the MSI hands down.

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    390X should be a dual 8pin. As for a new PSU, look for single rail designs, and modular. And compare pricing, because sometimes you can get a bigger PSU for a small amount of $$, and the higher rated it is, the better the efficiency since I doubt you'll be stressing it near capacity.

I have the CM Silent Pro Gold 1200 that I got on sale, single rail, and the only problem I had with it was the fan needed to be replaced after a few years, which was simple to do, and I modded the mount holes for 140mm fans. (original is 135mm)

14. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Yeah, something like a 850w will do the job.
    As for brand, I had a gigabyte card before, and while it's a great card, it hardly overclocked due to new revision board. The windforce cooling device looks nice but I never really found it excellent.
    Msi is the better choice, better cooling, better overclockability etc etc.

15. Jonbajo

Jonbajo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12gb
    Hows this for a PSU?

Rosewill BRONZE series RBR1000-MS

I like the features, price, etc. Just want to make sure it will work with my current set up (If I were to buy the MSI card).

16. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    I understand the 390x has better performance over a AIB Rx480 8gb......but heck in some case the 480 actually post better or equal performance. Nothing wrong with getting the 390x but i would grab the newer card.

17. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    650w is plenty if top tier. 750w is safe.