Denuvo protection defeated and fixed again

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 9, 2016.

1. omagic

omagic Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080
    Not true. Pirated CiV V first but I liked it so I bought it with every DLC.

Good game will sell well. It should be some rule that there must be a DEMO.
    That would stop devs making crapy games.

Players aint stupid. EA learned and You can return any game U dont like. Plus If the game has good multiplayer it will also sell well.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    So you cost the company nothing? Like I say ;)

3. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Pirating is actually increasing sales on good games, and decreasing on bad games. Those who create great games, waste their money and lose sales at the same time by using all those anti-piracy measures. If a person doesn't have enough money to buy a video game, he won't buy it anyway. But there is GOG, someone gets it =)

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    With you, and yep, GOG gets it, not sure it's all about lack of money though, money or not, pirates will pirate, I think it's blown way out of proportion to suit the anti-piracy trolls, not much difference to patent-trolls

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    There will be a lot who can afford to buy, but would rather get it for free if the opportunity is there.

Also, if one game is on GOG and the other has Denovu and you want both but can only afford one, then you will pirate the GOG game.

People can be greedy, ive been there myself when it came to games/music/movies.
    I was like a kid in a sweet shop at one point.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I think most people here (Admittedly or not) have been too, first taste of the freebies on the net, then you grow up and learn a thing or two

I still use torrents for demos if there isn't an official one, decide after that, probably why we don't get demos much today, if I bought 90% of what I demo'd, I'd be p1ssed

7. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    well it not really related... maybe just few stuff that need dev. work with denuvo
    but basically denuvo company the one that battling the piracy
    while game company basically just pay them to use on their games... so game dev. barely wasted their sources into it

--------

anyway security been always never ending mouse-and-cat games
    from what i know (didnt read much about it yet), basically denuvo act like encrypter+decrypter gateway....

if cracker already find a way to remove denuvo (basically removing DRM), making a game non-drm ... then basically nothing much denuvo can do.
    for offline mode though... for online they might inject new tweaking/patch

the method to fool the denuvo system thinking user playing legit games, while this will also bypass their system, but this can easily patched by denuvo.

one things for sure cmiiw, denuvo is just add-on DRM rather than deep to core game-engine... so basically games created non-DRM for the beginning
    and nothing unbreakable anyway... its just matter of time

8. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    Just finished d/l and will let you know how well it works! :pirate:

Normally I buy good games, such as the first Tomb Raider, but Denuvo can kiss my ass, as well as any company that uses it. All I have to say is just look at GOG, The Witcher 3 in particular, and see how much profit their DRM free games are raking in.

When I pirate, it's out of principal and spite, not cheapness. *cough EA cough* Damn, something's in my throat. *cough cough Ubisoft cough*. :flip2:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  9. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    ...and defeated again.

[​IMG]

It took 7 months tough.

I played RotTR with Denuvo fine. It's a good game. What's wrong with Denuvo? It does not install any drivers or other system components like say Starforce.

10. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    I find it funny that the Witcher 3 is always brought out as the example game when it comes to talking about DRM. A game which most pirates have probably bought..I mean, it has no copy protection, a ton of sales, and anecdotally any pirate can use it as a defense saying "Look, I will support those who get rid of INVASIVE, INTRUSIVE DRM!"

But the truth of the matter is you only list the Witcher because it is novel, and its only a valid argument because it is novel. Just like radiohead and the Humble Bundle put out a "pay whatever you want" and were successful, CD Projekt red did the same thing. Does anyone live under the illusion that the entire game or music industry could move a "pay whatever you want" model? Obviously not, these campaigns were successful not because people have always wanted to pay more for music The same is true of the Witcher.

The Witcher was always going to be successful. It's a well crafted, well supported game. The lack of DRM is an additional advertisement. The fact that it is such a good game, with a developer vocal about DRM makes it so any pirate can pick it up and support their cause. But what if it were ten games with no DRM and a vocal developer? Hundred? What if the whole industry were like that, would you buy them all to reward the developers?

Obviously not. The Witcher's model works because it's the best no DRM game available. The Witcher would be successful with DRM, or without. The fact that they're famously anti-DRM works in their favor specifically because they are the largest one.

I wonder why you guys don't quote other examples, like Demigod from Stardock. Stardock is also famously anti-DRM, and Demigod was killed on launch because of the massive piracy, so many in fact that the servers were totally overwhelmed and legitimate players couldn't play. Where were the anti-DRM supporters then?

11. lanelor

lanelor Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Stryx
    Not played Demigod, but reviews point for little above average game, so most probably the pirates played a couple of hours and switched to the next game, without purchasing. Buying a game, just to have a meh in you mouth after 10 hours is unreasonable.

I have purchased at full price at lunch to support the devs, but most games are to be enjoyed a year later with fixed bugs, added mods for custom preferences and at half to quarter price. If I can't find and test the game now, I will wait for both review and a significant price drop.

12. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    It doesn't have a single bad review on metacritic in the professional section, and every bad user review looks like this. The game was good, really good even.

Connectivity issues caused by pirates. Pirates can kill games. Even just this one example is justification enough for DRMs existence because there are many studios in this world that cannot afford to have their game ruined by selfishness. Why, as a studio, would I ever leave it up to chance when I can just implement DRM?

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It doesn't even change the fact that you're removing the developers choice of allowing you to play the game for free or not. People can argue all they want that they want demos, but that's the developers choice. By pirating it for "demo" purposes you're removing that choice. Which is bull****. If CDProjekt wants to ship games without DRM, all the power to them, but not every dev wants to do that.

In the case of Denuvo, it temporarily stopped piracy using minimally intrusive methods. I have purchased several Denuvo titles and I never had any issues. Now as people crack it and the arms race starts again, all we're going to end up with is more sophisticated, intrusive forms of DRM that cause all kinds of problems. All because people feel that they're entitled to free entertainment for whatever reasons people are listing in this thread.

14. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    I would like to know what the FPS are on the pirated version compared to the proper version ,just to see if the DRM software has an impact on the game's performance

I can't do this myself as i don't have either version of the game ....

15. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    Installed and everything works great! Time to try before I buy!

Ding dong Denuvo's dead...again....for now...but still!! :flip2:

16. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    same but from I remember cracked version were always faster
    I don't remember which game but one company actually released a patch that was the NOCD because it simply worked better lol
    edit : Ubisoft releasing a patch for R6 with a Reloaded tag into it :eyes:

17. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    wwwwwwwww

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, I had TBs if games and movies I never watched lol.

It wouldn't surprise me if OCD stops alot of piracy.

How many people want the game in their Steam collection so wouldn't even consider pirating it?
    I think there are quite a lot of those people who are collecting just as much as playing.
    Digital hoarding....

DRM is great for the companies who develop it as it makes them a fortune, it's also great for the crackers as it gives them a challenge.

It will be interesting to see what happens next, probably won't be good though.

19. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    To me the answer is simple:
    You can't sell a game in US at the same price like in Angola, so that the cause pirates will never die.
    If someone make 2000$ and another 100$ then you can't expect the one with 100$ to pay money for games, so it is more likely to go for pirate games.

20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    For what is already cracked, forever. This is an actual crack, not a bypass requiring Steam to work. Apparently the same method can be used to crack the rest of them in a matter of weeks.